Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2019 4:36:24 PM EDT
A friend and I are looking at various DIY fishing opportunities, primarily Coho / Halibut.  Love to catch a king, but neither of us are interested in combat fishing.

One lodge we are looking at is located about 1/2 way between Ketchikan and Juneau.  They want somewhere around 2700 for a week.  They provide lodging, 3 squares, tackle, and 20' open Lund boats, GPS, Maps, etc.  I think they have covered boats on a limited basis and for an upcharge. You can fish as many hours a day as you can stand.

Seems about like what we are looking for.  We are both reasonably competent, but not experienced in AK waters or ocean waters.

I'd like to squeeze in a day or 2 of fly fishing for coho, but I'm not sure how that fits in with this particular lodge (Green Rocks).

I don't know that we've selected a time frame - but late august early sept would be our preferred time frame.

I would be grateful for advice, other places to look, etc.   I have a cousin with a guiding service out of Cooper Landing, but that sounds like its getting into the combat fishing arena.  Also, reasonably priced, but 5 or 6 days of guided fishing adds up - and no halibut so we would have to do 3-4 days of one, then go do the other.

I'd love to do what some friends did years ago and fly into twin lakes and float out to the coast several days later.  I think that's out of our comfort zone this time around though for a party of 2.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:01:23 AM EDT
[#1]
You can get silvers then but kings aren’t gonna be abundant maybe a few feeder kings around that late in the season. Trout and Silvers on the kenai during that time is phenomenal though and you could catch a single day halibut charter out of deep creek or anchor point. Key-O’s charters does a great job. Alaska waters are no joke and those little Lund boats you can get in trouble quick.
The only real combat fishing is the Russian and that will be over by the time you come. A kenai run on the upper or middle river will get you great fishing from your cousins boat with very few people around
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can get silvers then but kings aren't gonna be abundant maybe a few feeder kings around that late in the season. Trout and Silvers on the kenai during that time is phenomenal though and you could catch a single day halibut charter out of deep creek or anchor point. Key-O's charters does a great job. Alaska waters are no joke and those little Lund boats you can get in trouble quick.
The only real combat fishing is the Russian and that will be over by the time you come. A kenai run on the upper or middle river will get you great fishing from your cousins boat with very few people around
View Quote
If you want coho and halibut at the same time, Seward is probably your best bet. July-August is when the coho start being around and you can catch both coho and halibut in salt water out of Seward. I know that's not fly fishing though. Mostly fly fishing is for trout, grayling, and char and fish like that though, right? There is a nice lake right outside Seward where you can fly fish for lake trout, you just need to hike 3 miles or so to get to it.

https://www.alaska.org/detail/ptarmigan-creek-lake-trail

You can charter fishing boat services, I haven't done any out of Seward and can't recommend any out of personal experience. Saltwater Safari is the big name I know of and I've read good reviews of them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Also, I don't think combat fishing on the Kenai is going to be a thing this year! So don't let that deter you, in fact, it's probably the best possible time to visit if you want to avoid crowds. Thanks for coming up to see our state despite the panic.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
We are heading to Green Rocks Lodge just outside of Petersburg.  Should be Coho, Halibut, rock fish, and some crab (Dungeness,  I think).   The lodge supplies boats, gear, meals, and accomodations.  We're on our own after that.

Should be a fun.  I may bring a fly rod along just in case we find Coho someplace that is amenable to throwing a fly.  I'd love to catch coho on a fly rod.

The Kenai will have to wait for another day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top