Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2023 7:25:00 PM EDT
Greetings -
       Am I correct in reading at delcode (title 11, ch.5, s.1465 https://delcode.delaware.gov/title11/c005/sc07/index.html ) that all pistols with AW features, including rimfires, are 'assault pistols' ?  In contrast to long guns, which are specified as 'centerfire' ( s.1465.6.a vs. s.1465.6.c ).

The question is motivated by 22LR pistols with threaded barrels and whether they're DE-legal under the DE AW ban.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately. I had an itch for an FN502 yesterday, checked the wording on the AWB, and came to the same realization
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 1:37:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: freddytrot] [#2]
a local dealer (Sussex) told me that when they queried the state on detail points about the DE AWB, they were told that the entity that was supposed to answer questions like that had been disbanded and no further information was available.  (My paraphrase.)

another local dealer said that they don't sell any semi pistols with threaded barrels due to the class3/NFA (silencer) ban in DE.  Their policy there seemed to predate the 2022 AWB.

I will pursue a little further, but the simple answer appears to be, avoid the problem by not buying any semi pistol, including rimfire, with a threaded barrel, in DE.  Which is what the text of the AWB as encoded in law says, to my reading (no limitation to 'centerfire' in the definition of an 'assault pistol'.  NB that it is both illegal to possess, and also to transfer, a new DE 'assault weapon', which means if you mess up and take possession of one, both you and the dealer have a problem.

An illustration of the thorniness of the problem is the Smith/Wesson M&P 22 compact which I had been looking at; I called Smith and they told me that there was no product that did not have a threaded barrel; the one labeled 'threaded' comes with the adapter for a silencer, while the one labeled as 'not threaded' has the thread protector on it which is renowned online for being a PITA to take off.  But you can take it off, so it's got a threaded barrel.  (Editorial: kind of dubious that Smith doesn't solve their commonality-of-manufacture problem (they want to make all their barrels threaded, OK) by welding the thread protector on for the 'not threaded' product.  It's not like there aren't multiple states with single-feature AWBs that include threaded barrel in the characteristics for an 'assault pistol'.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top