Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2022 5:13:28 PM EDT
Has anyone had the DMV tell them they have to give a copy of their DD-214 to get an enhanced concealed weapons license?

We just moved counties and while changing addresses, they refused to update our old enhanced CWLs until we could get the previous county to forward over all of the original paperwork. When my wife went back in to get her information updated, they told her I would have to bring in a copy of my DD-214. They said they were audited by the FBI, and need it to prove an honorable discharge... riiiightttt.
I already have the Veteran designator on my driver's license as well, so the state has seen my DD-214... but nope have to take extra steps to prove I'm still allowed guns. WTF Benewah County...
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I took mine in, but I hadn't taken a class for the enhanced yet. The DD214 is only good for the standard version anyways because there is no state law portion, so it's odd they want you to bring it in.

If you do bring yours in, you will need to bring whichever copy of the 2 shows the extra blocks at the bottom designating what type of discharge you received.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

They said they were audited by the FBI, and need it to prove an honorable discharge... riiiightttt.
View Quote

I actually do believe that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I actually do believe that.
View Quote

I would imagine that would be covered by the background check portion for getting the enhanced CWL
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Found this while trying to find more information here:
https://legislature.idaho.gov/statutesrules/idstat/title18/t18ch33/sect18-3302k/

No city, county or other political subdivision of this state shall modify or add to the requirements of this section, nor shall a city, county or political subdivision ask the applicant to voluntarily submit any information not required in this section.

I dont see any requirements about a DD-214. Only thing mentioning the military is that you have to put your military status on the application.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Has anyone had the DMV tell them they have to give a copy of their DD-214 to get an enhanced concealed weapons license?

We just moved counties and while changing addresses, they refused to update our old enhanced CWLs until we could get the previous county to forward over all of the original paperwork. When my wife went back in to get her information updated, they told her I would have to bring in a copy of my DD-214. They said they were audited by the FBI, and need it to prove an honorable discharge... riiiightttt.
I already have the Veteran designator on my driver's license as well, so the state has seen my DD-214... but nope have to take extra steps to prove I'm still allowed guns. WTF Benewah County...
View Quote

If it bothers you, you can always try your luck at the Shoshone, Kootenai or Latah County.

The Benewah office itself have very little to do with the process.  They ensure you fill out the form, fingerprint you, scan your stuff, and that's it.  They send it to Boise, a bean counter in Boise reviews it and 45 days later they mail you an approval letter, and you go back to Benewah offices to get your picture taken  your card printed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If it bothers you, you can always try your luck at the Shoshone, Kootenai or Latah County.

The Benewah office itself have very little to do with the process.  They ensure you fill out the form, fingerprint you, scan your stuff, and that's it.  They send it to Boise, a bean counter in Boise reviews it and 45 days later they mail you an approval letter, and you go back to Benewah offices to get your picture taken  your card printed.
View Quote

You misundersrand, I already have my enhanced CWL from Latah county. I Moved to Benewah county and I want to update the address on it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#7]
We can't let disease creep into our state offices. If they want a DD-214, they need to be called on that. I suspect this is the federal government overreaching, though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We can't let disease creep into our state offices. If they want a DD-214, they need to be called on that. I suspect this is the federal government overreaching, though.
View Quote

It's not. It's the county office violating the state law. The "FBI" that was initially mentioned turned out to be the state bureau of criminal identification. They very adamantly deny telling the county that proof of honorbale discharge is required, but are very hardset that it is, and that the Sheriff has every right to make that requirement. (I'm pretty sure they told the county this, but are denying it for liability reasons).

State Attorney Generals office gave me non-answers on it twice and suggested I reach out to the county prosecuting attorney about it. I'm still waiting on a response from the DA while also waiting for some legal consultation in the case they don't pull their head out of their ass.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's not. It's the county office violating the state law. The "FBI" that was initially mentioned turned out to be the state bureau of criminal identification. They very adamantly deny telling the county that proof of honorbale discharge is required, but are very hardset that it is, and that the Sheriff has every right to make that requirement. (I'm pretty sure they told the county this, but are denying it for liability reasons).

State Attorney Generals office gave me non-answers on it twice and suggested I reach out to the county prosecuting attorney about it. I'm still waiting on a response from the DA while also waiting for some legal consultation in the case they don't pull their head out of their ass.
View Quote

Smells like a leftist in the system somewhere having a tantrum.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Smells like a leftist in the system somewhere having a tantrum.
View Quote

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

To think that the Benewah county DMV/CWL is being infiltrated by leftist bureaucrats is a bit of a stretch.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I think someone at the dmv is confusing requirements.

If you use a dd214 as proof of firearms training for the standard cwl, it makes sense they want to see the one with the discharge code.

A dd214 isn't valid for the enhanced cwl due to not covering state specific law that they require. If you have already done the class for the enhanced and completed the paperwork they shouldn't need your dd214 because it doesn't have anything to do with how you got your enhanced cwl.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think someone at the dmv is confusing requirements.

If you use a dd214 as proof of firearms training for the standard cwl, it makes sense they want to see the one with the discharge code.

A dd214 isn't valid for the enhanced cwl due to not covering state specific law that they require. If you have already done the class for the enhanced and completed the paperwork they shouldn't need your dd214 because it doesn't have anything to do with how you got your enhanced cwl.
View Quote

They've clarified that they want proof of honorable discharge..  which just doubles down on their ignorance, as only a dishonorable discharge is a disqualifier...
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Isn't adequate firearms training a part of most enhanced license classes, and therefore, having an existing enhanced license proof itself?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Isn't adequate firearms training a part of most enhanced license classes, and therefore, having an existing enhanced license proof itself?
View Quote

Logic and reason from a state gov agency? Ain't nobody got time for that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 3:18:50 AM EDT
[#15]
What's the deal in Idaho, to you have to tell them you are a veteran when you get a driver's license? Is there anything on the forms for the DL or the enhanced permit that asks under penalty of purgury if you are a veteran?
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What's the deal in Idaho, to you have to tell them you are a veteran when you get a driver's license? Is there anything on the forms for the DL or the enhanced permit that asks under penalty of purgury if you are a veteran?
View Quote

I had never requested to put veteran on my DL for years seeing as I was still serving.  Then a few years ago when I went to renew my license at the Ada Count DMV, the attendant said, “Are you a veteran?” I replied I was still serving, she asked to see my military ID and put veteran on my license.  She said it’s easy to tell who the veterans are vs. civilians.  

Also, I’ve never gotten a ticket except from an ISP trooper with a stick up his ass who wrote me up right off base once.  Most times the officer sees “VETERAN” on my license and he’ll ask if I’m a vet and asks what I did in the service.  I guess it helps I was an SP for 20 years too.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I was talking to my neighbor the other day and he told me he was getting his ID CCW and that he needed to get a copy of his DD-214 to take to the Sheriff and that was the last thing he needed.

I thought it was strange but seeing this thread.. interesting.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#18]
What is the benefit to having the enhanced versus  constitutional carry?
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 1:55:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Reciprocity in more states.
Ability to carry on college campus.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

No background check when purchasing from FFL. (4473 only)
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No background check when purchasing from FFL. (4473 only)
View Quote

You get that with the normal CCW. As others have said you get to carry on certain parts of a college campus and there’s reciprocity including Washington.

A lot of people don’t realize this but there can still be gun free zones on college campuses such as the Morrison Center And it’s illegal to leave your gun in a car on campus even with a permit so I find the college aspect of limited value.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 1:44:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You get that with the normal CCW. As others have said you get to carry on certain parts of a college campus and there’s reciprocity including Washington.

A lot of people don’t realize this but they’re can still be gun free zones on college campuses such as the Morrison Center And it’s illegal to leave your gun in a car on campus even with a permit so I find the college aspect of limited value.
View Quote

I'm confused. I thought you only had constitutional (no permit needed to carry) and enhanced. Is there a license for regular carry in Idaho?
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm confused. I thought you only had constitutional (no permit needed to carry) and enhanced. Is there a license for regular carry in Idaho?
View Quote

The enhanced is for carrying in states that we share reciprocity with. You don’t need it if only staying inside Idaho.

There used to be a regular concealed carry in Idaho, but maybe that went away with constitutional carry.

I have always had an enhanced.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's constitutional carry which Federally you're not not allowed to constitutional carry within 1000 feet of a K-12 school and that includes driving by a school with a gun in your car. That's a federal felony. Are you going to get arrested for this? Fuck if I know but the way the FBI/AFT et all are doing shit nowadays it's something to be aware of.

Then there's the standard Idaho permit which allows you to carry within 1000 feet of a school but you're not allowed to carry ON any school if there's any school activity which can be a teacher working late alone. On a side note any knife over 2.5in is prohibited on a school. I point this out because people unknowingly violate these laws all the time. With a normal CCW you have the benefit of bypassing the NCIS check making purchasing a gun super fast. On a side note it's legal to have a gun on you while you get your kid from the pickup/drop off line as long as you don't leave your car.

Finally there's the enhanced permit we've already talked about that gives you everything the normal does with additional reciprocity and limited college campus carry. There are a lot of states that don't offer reciprocity with the standard CCW permit because it's so easy to get so they require the enhanced permit. Washington and Nevada being the most convenient but Arizona is another on the west that only accepts the enhanced.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of people don’t realize this but they’re can still be gun free zones on college campuses such as the Morrison Center And it’s illegal to leave your gun in a car on campus even with a permit so I find the college aspect of limited value.

Yes. It still exists. I have one, more of a legacy left over from when the enhanced didn't exist. The main motivation to get an enhanced carry is for out of state carry but also if you are a college student you get the privilege of carrying on campus.  The only reason I renew and keep my standard CCW is to make gun purchases easy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I wsa told in my class that it was required but Canyon did not want to see it. It isnot listed on the web site as a required document. I think Payette county may be to only one who requires it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:09:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wsa told in my class that it was required but Canyon did not want to see it. It isnot listed on the web site as a required document. I think Payette county may be to only one who requires it.
View Quote

Only thing I can find as a requirement for military, that is listed in the written law, is listing your current military status.

It states that dishonerable discharge is a disqualifying factor, but thats part of a list of disqualifying factors, all of which you dont have to show proof for.

The written law also states that the requirements cannot be changed by the local issuers.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Small update:
Finally fell within the renewal window (not just updating address). Went in, filled out the application and paid. Same lady working the counter, and nothing was asked about discharge paperwork.

Still need to wait for the state to do the background check and send results to sheriff. After that I go in for a new picture and card. Will give another update with how that goes.

I'm assuming someone finally got it through to them that they were breaking the law.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Issue appears to be resolved.

Have paper copy in hand and waiting on plastic one to come in the mail.

I'm glad they realized the error of their ways and took corrective action. Still annoyed they weren't decent enough to admit their mistake though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top