Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2020 4:43:01 PM EDT
Hello great people of the greatest state in the nation, I could use a little help.  We've got a vacation coming up that we booked a long time ago.  (week of 6/15)  From what I can find online, looks like a fair amount of things are open.  I'm not that concerned about Dollywood being closed, and I see the GSMNP is partially open.  At this point, we really just need a change of scenery but I don't want to attempt to keep the trip and just waste time.

So, what do you think?  Is it still mostly in lock down or worth going for getaway time?  (or, is the whole world already there like usual?)

I appreciate anything anyone has to offer!
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If you like crowds and traffic, come on down, seriously.

It and Gatlinburg are almost back to their overcrowded selves.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Sevierville are open.  Traffic increasing daily.  Local news reporting about the lack of social distancing on the trails-making suggestions for alternate trails to hike.  We're back in business.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The only thing of note I have seen cancelled for the PF and Gatlinburg area is the annual Rod Run and the 4th of July Parade in Gatlinburg. Other than those two, its pretty much heavy traffic as usual.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#5]
The pussies at Jack Daniels are still pussies.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Follow up question if folks wouldn't mind helping me out again:  suggestions for good, fairly easy fishing spots in the area?  I'll have 3 boys with me - 15, 18 & 19 - who have all been fishing for years but aren't advanced anglers by any stretch.  Hoping for some easily accessible (non trout) spots to check out, where they'll be able to catch a few in the course of a few hours effort.

I've got 10 day licenses for all of us, no trout stamp or any of the special area permits I saw.  I'm willing to go buy those, though, if someone has a recommendation.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Follow up question if folks wouldn't mind helping me out again:  suggestions for good, fairly easy fishing spots in the area?  I'll have 3 boys with me - 15, 18 & 19 - who have all been fishing for years but aren't advanced anglers by any stretch.  Hoping for some easily accessible (non trout) spots to check out, where they'll be able to catch a few in the course of a few hours effort.

I've got 10 day licenses for all of us, no trout stamp or any of the special area permits I saw.  I'm willing to go buy those, though, if someone has a recommendation.

Thanks again!
View Quote

Non trout? Probably the best place will be Douglas lake. You’ll have to do some internet searching for a place, possible guide, etc. as I do not fish Douglas. Bank fishing will greatly limit your location to fish.

As for trout, be aware if you do go for that there are big differences between City of Gatlinburg waters and GSMNP waters. Limits, legal days, licensing, etc. is all different.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#8]
There are plenty of streams within the National Park with fishing opportunities, but read up on the regulations. There are limits to numbers of hooks and lures/bait. As long as you are within the park borders, a trout stamp is not required. I’ve attached a couple of links below with helpful information. TWRA also has an app available. Check out the Little Pigeon River on Greenbrier Cove Road (NP zone) if you decide to try the Gatlinburg area. Gatlinburg city does require an additional permit, but you have more options with bait. Thursdays in Gatlinburg are closed for weekly stocking, and the are a couple of children’s streams that are available for 12 and under. Have fun and good luck!

http://www.yoursmokies.com/smokymountainnationalparkfishingregulations.html

https://littleriveroutfitters.com/
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#9]
For restaurants check out the Peddler, Cherokee Grill, Calhoun’s, or Park Grill in Gatlinburg. There’s also Calhoun’s or The Old Mill in Pigeon Forge. If you go to the Old Mill, consider lunch time with basically the same food as dinner but much cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you very much!  I read up on the Gatlinburg stocking and fishing options, and also found a guide option for wading trips in the park.  That may be a winner for at least one day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top