Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2021 9:46:03 PM EDT
I'm pasting the OP from my post in Team for those who don't have memberships. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hey all. My mom and dad live in Pensacola and regularly travel over to New Orleans for week long vacations. My dad carries a Maxpedition sling bag that he keeps his P30L in while traveling. He got his FL CCP when he and my mom retired and began traveling a lot.

I just got an e-mail from him that he got a call from NOPD that they had his handgun. My dad left his bag at the hotel and I'm assuming after they rummaged through it and found the handgun the hotel called the police and turned it over to them. I'm still gathering information, but what he's told me is that for him to get the pistol back from the department he has to pass a background check and provide proof of ownership. He's said they're already running a background check on him but he doesn't have any proof of ownership. He purchased the pistol over 10 years ago and the shop he purchased it from went out of business a few years back. He also mentioned something about their records only being maintained for 7 years anyway, which I don't entirely believe.

At this point he's given up and is ready to just let it sit in a property locker which is not good enough for me. There has to be a solution to this as I'm sure there are incidents like this fairly regularly.

I'm going to be e-mailing him to get as much information as possible out of him about what he was told so I can try to help him out. I'll also be getting the department number so I can call down and see what information I can get straight from them.

If anyone has any suggestions/insights, I'd appreciate it.
View Quote

The only updates I've gotten so far is that my dad does not have a receipt/BoS, but does have the case with SN, fired casing sealed with SN, and photos of the handgun (with or without SN showing I don't know).

He has not and won't provide the contact information for the individuals he spoke with at NOPD so I can't confirm that he absolutely needs a notarized copy of the receipt/BoS. He wants to wait to see what happens after the background check they're running and doesn't want me calling for information and them getting irritated and making it somehow harder for him. I'd just like verification so we're not trying to find a way to satisfy this requirement when we could just provide something else that he has.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure he just "misplaced" the bill-of-sale, and can find it if he looks hard enough.

Then, all he has to do is take the newly "found" BOS and make a copy.  Bring the copy and "original" to a notary, get the copy notarized, and send it to NOPD.

Hypothetically.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Remember you are dealing with the NOPD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top