Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2021 5:58:36 PM EDT
We are without power in Houston (Thanks ERCOT!) and To while the time, I fired up all the vehicles and let them run for 45 minutes to charge batteries & heat the fluids to help get through this Cold.

Since I had fired up my motorcycle (liquid cooled), and it was warmed up, a very dim light bulb came on when I realized my Motorcycle was saying to me "Come On Hammer - Swing over a leg and LET'S RIDE!!.  Come On!  Don't be a Sissy!!!  What's the worst that could happen??"  

I don't seem to have any good sense nor impulse control left because you know what I did next...

DANG I'm a stupid SOB!!!   No riding jacket or leathers or even a helmet, just a fleece pull over & Astros ball cap.

But it's just a quick ride down the highway & back so no big deal right?

Not only was it bone chilling COLD, but those Ice patches (most of the road) made it a VERY exciting ride on two wheels.

But despite some Hossing that big girl around (1600 cc "sport bike") I returned alive (VERY VERY VERY  COLD) & with a huge adrenaline dump from that ice, but still ... alive!

I'm sure some North Dakota folks will claim this was everyday riding life for them but for Texas was it Crazy, Ballsy, Brave or Insane? Was I just Lucky to make it back without a wreck?

I thought I had at least average good sense, but evidently not...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm considering makeshift sled, and riding down the slope and over the bulkhead into the lake.

....  probably a once in a lifetime opportunity.

If i had electricity and the house wasn't 36 degrees inside, i'd probably do it.  

IF i could run the boat lift i'd take the pontoon out for a ride.  Narrow / shallow parts of Lake Limestone are literally frozen over.  Again, probably a once in a lifetime sight.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Out in Midland Area, been driving the roads the whole time. They were really only seriously bad the first day of the storm, mostly because the idiots on them.

People have been freaking out over this storm, but I've been having a blast. Went and hunted all day yesterday. Was cruising around our parking lots this morning with traction control off in 2 wheel drive Tokyo drifting all over the place.

Mindset is critical, and I wish more people would realize that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#3]
You left out stupid in the choices.

Glad you made it and I can’t say I haven’t done it on a dirt bike as a kid, but with years of driving on this stuff a motorcycle is the worst choice because you can lose it it in all directions.

File it in the why not category.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds cold
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in Michigan.   Your temps are not uncommon for us.   One November day before the snow set in, I put a warm Diet Coke in my pocket, jumped on my motorcycle,  and headed for the local high school.   It was about five minutes away.   The can of Diet Coke in my pocket exploded before I got there.    Word of advice:  "don't do that."

2Hut8
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I salute the OP's heroic act of defiance.  Best I can muster after a day of pipe thawing is a Jack and Coke and some bagpipe music.  I miss having a bike.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#7]
But,it was still fun,right bud?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't even like riding in good weather anymore. What is a 1600cc "sport bike"?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But,it was still fun,right bud?
View Quote

It is said the worst day riding beats the best day at work...  Truth!!

I've regained feelings in my fingers & the frostbite to my ears was a modest price to pay for the SMILE .  

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#10]
YOLO
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#11]
BH, you're and idiot...and I have been too on many occasions...LOL!

When I was a young cop in my city, my wife and I had one pickup truck and a motorcycle.  My bike was a '72 Kawasaki H2-750...the big, 2-stroke, speed demon of the time.  We lived about 5 miles from the station, and I did not want my wife taking me to work and putting her...or our truck...in harms way during our fairly common, winter, black ice periods.  I'd fire up the 750...kickstarter only...and slip, slide, and drift my way to work.  I never fell over the times I had to do this, but I did slide all the way to the curb occasionally.  Nothing like a high horsepower, 2-stroke, rocket with street tires for good traction.  Like you, amazingly I didn't die.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Did enough of that using a VTR1000 to commute to my job in the UK in all weathers; you can ride over black ice as long as you hold your breath and don't touch anything for that second or two
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top