Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2021 6:16:09 PM EDT
Has anyone ever done an coyote/predator hunting recently in the Richmond area?  Hanover/King William/King & Queen specifically...

Trying to decide if it's worth getting a call and trying it out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#1]
There are certainly foxes, bobcats and coyotes there.  I have seen coyotes while deer/turkey hunting in Fairfax, Albemarle, Sussex and Greensville Counties. Called 2 coyotes in during turkey season.
Several people in my hunt club are big into predator hunting with thermals and they have put a hurt on them.  One of them told me the trick is to get them to howl to get a rough location, then to try to set up so you are downwind of them.

I think it depends on where you are hunting and how many people are going after them/how they are going after them how challenging the hunting will be.  I am sure there are Coyotes in Hanover/King
William.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#2]
know a guy that was cutting his grass in New Kent manymany years ago,

rabid yote came after him on the mower,  
he was able to get to his vehicle and get his handgun w/ getting bit,

I live in Central Chesterfield (border to the State Park) and have heard them at night,

my brother lives 4 miles away and has seen a few in that area
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:21:40 AM EDT
[#3]
So far as I know, none of the landowners or the group I hunt with have seen any coyotes.  

I shot a big female last year, middle of the day, while on a deer stand. I've also noticed a decline in the deer population the past few years, but that could be disease.

No one else hunts them around us, 1500-2k acres of mixed fields, cut-overs, and woods.

I've been thinking about a thermal for this, and other goof off things, but primarily this.  However I'm hesitant of the expense without any idea of the amount of use it'll see.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:34:32 AM EDT
[#4]
If you can get a siren, go to the field and blast it. If they are there. they will yelp  If you don't want to buy a e caller right now, you can use your phone & a bluetooth speaker. Plenty of sounds on the web.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you can get a siren, go to the field and blast it. If they are there. they will yelp  If you don't want to buy a e caller right now, you can use your phone & a bluetooth speaker. Plenty of sounds on the web.
View Quote

The bluetooth speak & phone seems like a good way to test the waters and see whats out there.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The bluetooth speak & phone seems like a good way to test the waters and see whats out there.

Thanks!
View Quote

Just be sure to turn off any incoming phone calls.
A friend of mine in Texas was doing this when his wife called him and it kinda screwed
up the coyote calling
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top