Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2023 12:33:41 PM EDT
I recently got my Florida CWL, after having lived in Texas for 30 years.  I was all schooled up on the details of their laws, and want to be on Florida ones as well.

I've read the statute as linked here, so hopefully these aren't too foolish questions:

https://flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2021/790.06

1. Am I correct in saying that with a CWL, you can carry a handgun, but not a SBR so no ultra-cool HK MP5K in a strong side shoulder holster, unless it's a pistol, as it says for weapons:

handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie,

Since it does say knife, but not pocket knife, can I carry any length or style of knife, including ones that are often listed in prohibitions from the 1800's like Dirk, Dagger, and Bowie knives?

Since billie is listed, can I carry any type of club like a blackjack or sap?

2. in Section 12(a), under places where carry is not authorized, are parking lots considered the same as the actual facilities listed?  Such as for polling places, would you technically be in violation if you had your handgun in your car when you went into vote?  I know there's a whole section on parking lots and storage for employees too keep business from making their workers sitting ducks, but does that apply to CWL's and the prohibited places?

3. In the same section, with regards to "Any college or university facility" are roads, parking lots, and sidewalks considered a "facility", or only buildings?  Such as, is driving across a college in your car with a handgun on you a violation, or not as long as you don't enter a building?

Is the parking lot / street aspect covered by this section: "A person licensed under this section shall not be prohibited from carrying or storing a firearm in a vehicle for lawful purposes.", or is that in there for other reasons?

4. For restaurants that serve booze, it talks about "Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose".  So say at Chilis, the front bar section is a place of prohibited carry, even in the table and booth section.  Of does that mean sitting at the bar section but the booths are OK?  I know the rest of the place would be OK.

5. I might have missed it (I can only read so much statutes before my eyes dull) but the only sections about private property were with regards to churches.  So can privately owned businesses prohibit CWL carry, and if so, do they need some sort of formal sign, or would a GunBuster sign work, not that I've seen on.

Texas made stores post a formal and specific sign that was supposed to be big enough to be seen, but I've not seen any "no guns" signs so far.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Chill out dude.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Give this book a read…

I’ve read prior versions, and it covers just about any question you might have regarding FL and firearms.  Highly recommended.

ETA: prior versions were a pretty good read with real world examples.

Attachment Attached File

Amazon Link:
Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership 2023-2024 https://a.co/d/gCTVomx
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Give this book a read…

I’ve read prior versions, and it covers just about any question you might have regarding FL and firearms.  Highly recommended.

ETA: prior versions were a pretty good read with real world examples.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/386370/IMG_8773_jpeg-3081008.JPG

Amazon Link:
Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership 2023-2024 https://a.co/d/gCTVomx
View Quote

This books good, but also be aware everything is gonna be enforced "differently" depending on location. What would probably be a interaction/charge by pd in Miami or a call in by blue tipped locals in mouse world would probably get no look up here in the panhandle. (I've had more cops/people say cool what are you carrying, than hassle me up here).
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses. The main thing I wanted to know is if the streets and parking lots of buildings on a college campus are considered a prohibited place to carry, or just inside the building.

Knowing the law is always the first, but not last, step in deciding your course of action, unlike those who just want to stick their heads in the sand and chill out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top