Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2018 8:22:57 PM EDT
https://coralspringstalk.com/coral-springs-police-hold-first-gun-buyback-event-20166

My gf just saw this.  I have heard of people going to gun buybacks and buying what people were going to give up.  Anyone know of the legality of doing this here?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Haha! Was just chatting to my GF today about doing something like this. Kinda curious myself.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen police go after people hanging around these events in both central and south FL. They have spotters looking for people hanging around for periods of time, have signage or that mKe repeated attempts of contacting people getting in line for buybacks. They will go after those people for loitering, criminal mischief, ect. And now billy bad ass will come on spouting off they are committing no crime, blah, blah, blah. Go ahead and see if that doesn't still get you detained and maybe drug down town just to be let loose there with  big fat "after reviewing the charges we are not filing". Meanwhile your day has been wasted. Rules are always in their favor boys. Personally I'd rather buy a few $17 bb guns and turn them in for a few $50 publix cards myself. It's sad that there is always some soy boy that will turn in their grandfathers bring back because his boyfriend doesn't want it in the house. It's sad but happens. Only once did I see a police department see that a  Strumgavir (I'm sure I misspelled that. But you know the German assualt rifle that started them all) got to a museum and not destroyed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Forgive me because I am new to Florida.  But if a face to face transaction is legal in the state, how can LE stop you?  Back in Seattle they had the buy back programs and there would be guys with signs saying "I'll pay twice what the city will" (up until the most recent legislation on gun transfers)

Or are the PD's strong arming people that show up to legally buy firearms in a FTF situation?

EDIT:  Its usually a media stunt so the city can say they took a "bazooka" off the streets, when in reality it was an AT-4 that was empty.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not buying a no questions asked buyback firearm. I do see a need for an appraisal booth so those turning the guns in know how bad they are being ripped off.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#5]
The people that turn in guns are criminals, or people that have guns that have no idea about guns.  None of these people are going to sell to some stranger setting up shop.   I would not want any gun these people dump anyway. No telling what the history is.
And I know some departments will kick you out of the area if you try to solicit to buy guns at these events.  Some will even trespass you if you continue at it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried this in Overtown, Miami, yearssss ago.. Was there on the sidewalk about 15min before the police realized what we were doing and sent a grunt to tell us we had to leave or would be arrested.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#8]
You common folk need to stay away from our gun buy back programs... or you will be arrested and charged with something... not sure what, but we will come up with something.

Don't be mad just because we take advantage of elderly widows, scared liberals, and other ignorant people just to get great deals... and then we get first dibbs to sift through the turn ins, just in case something nice gets turned in, before sending the "junk" to be destroyed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Seems like some of the open carry camera equipped 1st amendment audit people could set something up get some legal advise and go at it. Makes much more sense giving new life to these neglected unloved firearms than carrying rifles into taco bell and walking down the sidewalk with slung rifles and plate carriers to go fishing. Have to say anyone wanting to get rid if a good firearm for a $50 gift card probably doesnt need one in the first place but im sure a few nice guns end up meeting their end in these things.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Aahhh, "Coral Springs" where there is limerock (not Coral) and no springs. I lived moved there as a kid in 1975. Glad I no longer have to even visit that shit hole.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:40:20 PM EDT
[#11]
This from the article link "in the city hall parking garage". That is how they will be able to keep interlopers at bay, with grey area of trespassing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#12]
They have the sign on sample lit up announcing it. Passed it this morning
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#13]
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/104546882-132.html

Never will I understand giving a firearm for a gift card.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top