User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1. the language removed by the committee amendments were enhancements to current Ohio gun law (those enhancements to current law was not ultimately contained in HB 227)..  

View Quote

What were these, anyone know?
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I get the feeling he's going to ignore it and let it become law without his signature.  I'm sure he's being lobbied heavily by antis.  I would think if he was going to sign it, he'd have done it yesterday and gone away for the weekend.
View Quote

I'm thinking the same. The headline opportunity was last night.
Politically it's the smart move; he can deny he supported it to the RINOs and say it was a veto-proof bill anyway, while telling us he allowed it to happen and so is a hero and we should support him.
This is why politicians like to tell us what good things "happened under my watch" rather than what they actually did.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What were these, anyone know?
View Quote

two amendments were adopted in the committee.  they are both very simple amendments, ...basically, as i understand it, all they did was ensure that the current baseline of OH gun law statute is unchanged.

you can read them here:

1342688: https://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/cm_pub_api/api/unwrap/chamber/134th_ga/bills/senate/sb215/02_PS/cm_amend_AM_134_2688%20_sb215ps_am2688.pdf

1342670: https://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/cm_pub_api/api/unwrap/chamber/134th_ga/bills/senate/sb215/02_PS/cm_amend_AM_134_2670_AM_134_2670.pdf

...and here is the bill, as first passed by the senate in dec 2021... so you can see that 1342670 removes section C on the lines specified in the amendment, and just moves section D up to be the new section C...  
https://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/solarapi/v1/general_assembly_134/bills/sb215/PS/02/sb215_02_PS?format=pdf

the language removed in section C (line 151-158) was a modification to the existing statute (underlined text)...   they removed this attempted modification, ...the bill stays more true to the scope of constitutional carry, i.e. simply removing the requirement to get a CHL to carry concealed (the one exception being it also tackles duty-to-notify)...

...so, SB 215, as passed is a big leap forward, and there is zero backtracking (no modification of current statute, no reversal of current statute)...
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I get the feeling he's going to ignore it and let it become law without his signature.  I'm sure he's being lobbied heavily by antis.  I would think if he was going to sign it, he'd have done it yesterday and gone away for the weekend.
View Quote

hmm... i'm not sure, it's kinda fascinating just to anticipate what he eventually does here...

...he did sign the so-called stand-your-ground stuff despite being a bit agitated...

...i also recall kasich signing several pro-gun bills in his first term w/out making any noise...

...if i were to make a prediction, i'd say he's more likely to sign it than not...   he's an incumbent facing some stiff primary opposition, and the base that shows up in primaries, many of us know he promised to support this bill...   i believe many of the primary voters were fed-up with his covid emergency powers antics, ...he has to show he'll step up to the plate and not cower before us...
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

...you no longer are obligated to "promptly inform" the officer during a "terry stop" or similar LEO-related interaction...  you are expected to acknowledge that you are legally armed only if the officer asks you specifically.
View Quote

I always thought it was a stupid part of the law. They knew you had a CCW when they called in your plates anyway.

Link Posted: 3/5/2022 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I always thought it was a stupid part of the law. They knew you had a CCW when they called in your plates anyway.

View Quote

yep, i abhor duty-to-notify, ...it feels like some kinda self-incrimination thing, and i believe it is dangerous, particularly fall prey to a cop impersonator...

...if cops need duty-to-notify to "feel safe", they should find another line of work where the liars are a bit more polite, say like congress...
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I still think Dewine will sign the bill.

And in spite of my criticism of the last minute amendments, I agree that this is a win for liberty and a huge step forward for Ohio.

Link Posted: 3/5/2022 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And in spite of my criticism of the last minute amendments, I agree that this is a win for liberty and a huge step forward for Ohio.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/The_Rock_Applause-169.gif
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/The_Rock_Applause-169.gif
View Quote

I am thinking you are right.  It's going to become law anyway, since it's veto proof, so he may as well get credit for helping to pass it...
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#10]
(614) 466-3555. Call the Governor and tell him to sign SB215.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Folks, call now!!!!

...i just called and actually got through to a real person!

Governor Mike Dewine
614-466-3555
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It was just on the news that his mother in law died.  He may be distracted from work for a day or three.
View Quote

Celebrating?

Sorry, bad MIL joke.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
(614) 466-3555. Call the Governor and tell him to sign SB215.
View Quote

+1.. put in my call.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I talked to our Sheriff (Nemi) Sat at a pancake breakfast and he said DeSwine will sign it in law.
View Quote

Did Niemi have any other comments about the bill in general? For/against, etc?
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I kinda don't want him to sign it. I think that would pump up support for Blystone even more.

It's going to be law regardless, I'd like to use it to get him out of office.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#20]
...added a poll to the thread (What will Dewine Do?)

Link Posted: 3/7/2022 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bad poll.  I trust safe1's sources so I'm pretty sure he'll sign it.  IMHO he is incapable of the "be a man" part of the answer though.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I talked to our Sheriff (Nemi) Sat at a pancake breakfast and he said DeSwine will sign it in law.
View Quote

I have never met anyone with a stronger handshake than Sheriff Niemi. I swear I thought my hand was broken. It was embarrassing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/8/2022 12:36:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Cautiously optimistic.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Called yesterday to offset any anti-s noise.  Predicting he will sit on it and let it lapse into law.  If he signs it, I will be shocked.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#26]
folks, if you haven't already, ...just make the call, it only takes a minute...

Governor Mike Dewine
614-466-3555
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#27]
...if you get to a voicemail, leave a message.

...all you have to do (if you don't want to give personal info) is just give your first name and what part of the state you're from, and urge Dewine sign SB 215...

...all that really matters is right now is putting in generic calls of support, ..that's how politicians view things...
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
...if you get to a voicemail, leave a message.

...all you have to do (if you don't want to give personal info) is just give your first name and what part of the state you're from, and urge Dewine sign SB 215...

...all that really matters is right now is putting in generic calls of support, ..that's how politicians view things...
View Quote

Voicemail is full!

Edit: Called back and got a human, passed along my encouragement to sign the bill.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Just called. Mailbox full.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#31]
guys, way to go, you're crushing it!!!

...folks, keep calling, even if the mailbox is full, we're jamming it up!!!    then call again tomorrow, and the next day!

hell yeah!

Link Posted: 3/8/2022 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Politically it's the smart move; he can deny he supported it to the RINOs and say it was a veto-proof bill anyway, while telling us he allowed it to happen and so is a hero and we should support him.
This is why politicians like to tell us what good things "happened under my watch" rather than what they actually did.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When does the deadline come for it to be law without his signature ?
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

When does the deadline come for it to be law without his signature ?
View Quote

Ten days, not counting Sundays, from final passage.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#34]
folks,

a reminder, ...tomorrow is a new day, ...that means a new day to make the call...  

...jam the line, jam the mailbox, ...try multiple times to see if you get through to an aid, and let them know you want him to sign it!

...it takes just a minute, do on your way to work, your lunch break, or whenever you can:

Governor Mike Dewine
614-466-3555
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
folks,

a reminder, ...tomorrow is a new day, ...that means a new day to make the call...  

...jam the line, jam the mailbox, ...try multiple times to see if you get through to an aid, and let them know you want him to sign it!

...it takes just a minute, do on your way to work, your lunch break, or whenever you can:

Governor Mike Dewine
614-466-3555
View Quote

Will call again tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Will call again tomorrow.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:04:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#38]
One of these days I'm going to check the thread and one of you will have posted he signed it.

You better not be lying.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#40]
IN passed and sent to their Governor.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Oh, no!
Traffic on Governor.ohio.gov is higher than anticipated.

Please wait a moment and try again.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Given the death in his family, I doubt he's signing anything this week.
View Quote
If I'm counting the days correctly the time period for him to sign/veto expires this Monday (3/14).  Even if he doesn't sign it I really can't see him vetoing it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If I'm counting the days correctly the time period for him to sign/veto expires this Monday (3/14).  Even if he doesn't sign it I really can't see him vetoing it.
View Quote

So Tuesday it becomes "passed". Tuesday June 14 it becomes effective?
I always get screwe up on fencepost errors. 90th day or after 90 days?
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Called again. Spoke with the same woman. Keep calling!
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Given the death in his family, I doubt he's signing anything this week.
View Quote

I hate to sound callus but in an elected position such as his there really is not “time off.” It’s understandable that he may need a day here or there to handle arrangements, attend a funeral, etc. but we can’t be serious to think that the fact that he hasn’t signed this yet is because of his mother-in-law’s death last week. It’s been on his desk for 4-5 days now.

Next you will try to tell me that the Secretary of Transportation is going to take 2-3 months off of work for paternity leave in the middle of a pending infrastructure bill and supply chain crisis!
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Next you will try to tell me that the Secretary of Transportation is going to take 2-3 months off of work for paternity leave in the middle of a pending infrastructure bill and supply chain crisis!
View Quote

That would just be stupid and irresponsible.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:54:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
IN passed and sent to their Governor.
View Quote

so, ....the race is on!

will IN beat us to #22?...

https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2022/03/09/constitutional-carry-19-n56209
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#49]
folks, ...the death of Dewine's MIL isn't stopping him from tweeting about lead pipes, virtue-signalling for "ukraine" and refugees, etc...

https://twitter.com/GovMikeDeWine

...when you're governor, shit doesn't stop happening, you're always on the job...
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#50]
...Mikey is governor because of gun rights supporters...  

...He made a campaign promise...  

...We have good memories...

...He is going to hear from us to remind him of that...

Make the Call!  Short, sweet, to the point:

1. state your name (first name only is perfectly fine)
2. state what part of OH you're in
3. state that you want him to uphold his promise and sign SB 215 constitutional carry

Done!

Governor Mike Dewine
614-466-3555
Page / 10
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top