User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want to get off the east coast and I was thinking IA, NE or SD. My wife and I are deep red. We have two boys age 6 and 5 that will be raised at Patriots! I'm 35 and my wife is 33.  I currently work at an oil refinery but really Would love to find a job at an ethanol plant. I can't wait to get the hell off the East coast!
View Quote

If you're looking for an ethanol plant job, there are several plants in eastern SD.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It has about 1500 people. I don't know if I would call that large by any stretch.  Just joking. Aberdeen is not my favorite place by any measurable dynamic. It's ugly, small, and the people I have met from there were arrogant. God knows why.
View Quote
And 95% of the time it is the coldest place in South Dakota.

Link Posted: 11/7/2020 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I am in the same boat here in Minnesota.  I want out.  State is trying to be California without the weather.  

I know I have to make a road trip to SD but am looking in Western SD in particular.  I like the looks of Rapid City, Leed, Custer, Hot Springs, etc.  My girlfriend and I are both retired and looking for state were common sense prevails.

Any suggestions where I should look for a home first would be ideal.  Keep in mind I am a silhouette shooter using a Shiloh Sharps.  So a place with a nice long gun range would be better.

Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am in the same boat here in Minnesota.  I want out.  State is trying to be California without the weather.  

I know I have to make a road trip to SD but am looking in Western SD in particular.  I like the looks of Rapid City, Leed, Custer, Hot Springs, etc.  My girlfriend and I are both retired and looking for state were common sense prevails.

Any suggestions where I should look for a home first would be ideal.  Keep in mind I am a silhouette shooter using a Shiloh Sharps.  So a place with a nice long gun range would be better.

Thanks!!!
View Quote
We just bought a lot in Custer. The market is hot, so if you find something you like, be ready to submit an offer.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Placeholder.  Your state sounds pretty conservatarian based on getting more R seats and legalizing the Devil's Lettuce.  My state is beyond F'ed.  Your state is on the short list and FYI, I've never voted D.  I vote R and L (I just couldn't vote for Mittens in '12).  My goal is to be out of Kolorado within 2 years, which is about when the state will start collecting for the paid family leave act that just passed.  I'm a mechanical enginerd with building systems and process/mfg. engineering experience. I'm not sure where I'd land.  I'm only a little familiar with the western part of the state.  Thanks for reading.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Sioux Falls is apparently not completely beyond hope...

Sioux Falls rejects mask mandate

Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sioux Falls is apparently not completely beyond hope...

Sioux Falls rejects mask mandate

View Quote

Well, it sure as shit isn't working in Brookings
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably because not quite half the population of Brookings is college students.  And that's a demographic accounting for a very, very significant portion of this latest COVID outbreak.  Many spikes across the country align with the start of classes.

Young people think they're invincible.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We just bought a lot in Custer. The market is hot, so if you find something you like, be ready to submit an offer.
View Quote

I do enjoy Custer when I'm visiting my parents (they're north of town up near Crazy Horse).  But it gets pretty quiet during the winter time.  We'll probably start spending Summers up there after my wife retires.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Probably because not quite half the population of Brookings is college students.  And that's a demographic accounting for a very, very significant portion of this latest COVID outbreak.  Many spikes across the country align with the start of classes.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, no, no. You don't understand. See, The mask mandate is working except it's not.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, no, no. You don't understand. See, The mask mandate is working except it's not.
View Quote

Second time I've had to use this one today.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep. Only two weeks after it passed it was praised as working. Except positive cases kept going up. Triple derp.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

To be fair, they pretty much are when it comes to the Wuhan Fraud Flu.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I am heading back to SD tomorrow to see if I can deal with ya'lls winter. I have a 4WD vehicle with snow chains and engine block heater. Will also have water, snacks, and sleeping bag in addition to my normal toolkit and jumper cables. I just want to be prepared. If I can hack it after a few days of driving around and taking some walks up there I will start looking for a home immediately. With all the uniparty shit going down right now the blue state shit hole I am in is only gonna get worse. The whole nation is fucked but I want to be somewhere where my chances of survival are not dependant on the good graces of the big city free shit army. Any recommendations for realtors in the Rapid City/Spearfish (IIRC) area? Are the cops in SD less receptive to antifa/blm sympathizing than the ones in big city blue shit holes? Are there places I can go to learn how to hunt and fish? I was raised in the city but hate it and want to adopt the red state true american lifestyle. Wherever I decide to move to I want to be out of eastern kalifornia (formerly nevada) my middle of May since that is when my CCW and vehicle registration expire. If the housing market is priced too high I will rent an apt. asap so I can move out of nevada and worry about a house/land later.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#15]
This is not the best year to judge our winters. This one has been extraordinarily mild.

We had two "riots" last year. Unlike other states, our cops fired gas, made arrests, etc.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#16]
It got up to the 80's one day pheasant hunting this season.
Very mild winter so far.  It's mid Jan. and it hasn't even hit -20 yet.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It got up to the 80's one day pheasant hunting this season.
Very mild winter so far.  It's mid Jan. and it hasn't even hit -20 yet.
View Quote
And I am NOT complaining.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Been up here for 2 weeks. Understanding that this is a mild winter, I have decided to move to SD. The vibe here is much better than in Las Vegas. My realtor has explained to me the importance of hail coverage on my home and auto insurance. After weighing the pros and cons I think that I will be much happier in SD than in NV (aka eastern kalifornia). I just bought a house in Summerset today. Now I gotta figure out how to move 2 safes full of guns up here!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Been up here for 2 weeks. Understanding that this is a mild winter, I have decided to move to SD. The vibe here is much better than in Las Vegas. My realtor has explained to me the importance of hail coverage on my home and auto insurance. After weighing the pros and cons I think that I will be much happier in SD than in NV (aka eastern kalifornia). I just bought a house in Summerset today. Now I gotta figure out how to move 2 safes full of guns up here!
View Quote
You made a good choice. West River is best River, and I live East River.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Welcome to South Dakota!!  You picked a good area to buy a house.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Already own my 2 acre lot in SD.
Building my home this year!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Congrats, that's not to far from the Piedmont Trailhead for the Centennial ATV trail that leads all the way through the Black Hills.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:12:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:24:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Congrats, that's not to far from the Piedmont Trailhead for the Centennial ATV trail that leads all the way through the Black Hills.
View Quote

That must be the trail my agent was telling me about. I was at Scheel's today talking to an employee about the foot pedal kayaks they sell and asking him about fishing and hunting. My next step after moving here is to find some land to buy that I can shoot on and maybe do outdoor stuff-when in Rome do as the Romans. Now I need to order some SD state flag morale patches in different colors/camo patterns for my plate carrier and jackets. I just wish I had done this back in 2018 when my financial situation changed instead of waiting til now. Trust me on this-as someone who grew up in the shit fillled cesspit of hollyweird, CA.- all ya'll that grew up in this part of the country are fortunate to have had that experience. The big mega-cities can go choke on some big fat toilet logs.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I am glad you found a good realtor to help you.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Congrats! When you get settled, send me a PM I'll buy you a welcome beer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like you're gonna fit in fine here. Congrats!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the hospitality. It is kind of a culture shock seeing people wave hi to me when I drive by up here compared to the one fingered salutes people give out in Las Vegas!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:56:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thanks for the hospitality. It is kind of a culture shock seeing people wave hi to me when I drive by up here compared to the one fingered salutes people give out in Las Vegas!
View Quote

I still salute people, but more often than not they have Colorado plates.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top