Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2021 11:31:55 PM EDT
I understand kansas is currently pretty pro gun. No license required for concealed carry?
How do you see the future in kansas though? Is it turning blue? Are you currently getting pro gun bills or anti gun bills introduced?
I'm coming from oregon. My mom's side of the family is from kansas, but they all moved out west years ago, made their money in SoCal then retired to oregon. That doesn't mean I know anything about kansas though.
My state is currently trying to pass total bullshit laws, not just gun laws but other stuff that would basically put us out of business here.
What are the negative things about kansas?
So far looking at craigslist I seem to be finding stuff around south east kansas. Is that a good area, or where else should I be looking?
Does anybody own rental homes? How is the rental market? How is tenant landlord laws?
ETA: another big question, how many homeless are there? We've got bums EVERYWHERE out here.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#1]
In my town (Pittsburg) we have a pretty busy/flooded rental market because of a college and everyone wanting to be in the business.

Some homeless because we’re a hub of services for the region but not horrible.  Crimes pretty minimal.

We got a dem governor last time because the left was super motivated and the RINOs sabotaged the republican candidate but the front runner republican this time is super conservative and a long time state office holder so more likely to win plus everyone except the rabid lefties hates the Karen governor.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Didn't realize you had a dem governor.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#3]
A dem governor signed off on law for us to get NFA items in 2009-ish.  Shocked me.  We have had several dem governors, but no dem US senator since before WW2.  
I am no political science major, so please correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Kansas is a red state where occasionally the Republicans screw up and we get a D Governor occasionally.   I don't expect it to last.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Be prepared for some tax shock

All food - taxed

Cars / boats / Rvs / anything that needs licened; annual property tax.  All depends on age but new cars can run you $700 in property taxes annually, until they get some age on it

Home property tax is not super cheap here

Sales tax is getting out of control.  The main places I go it’s 9.75% +

If you don’t like libs / dems; stay out of Lawrence/ Douglas co.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:21:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A dem governor signed off on law for us to get NFA items in 2009-ish.  Shocked me.  We have had several dem governors, but no dem US senator since before WW2.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep.  That was an impressive amount of political maneuvering on the part of the pro-gun forces in Kansas.  The dem AG at that time "reinterpreted" long standing Kansas law to say that cops were not allowed to have suppressors.  Cops didn't like that and the pro-gun forces submitted a new law that completely opened up NFA (previously not allowed) to everyone instead of the old law just allowing cops.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Kansas is a red state where occasionally the Republicans screw up and we get a D Governor occasionally.   I don't expect it to last.

Exactly!

Republican super majority legislature which is both good and bad.  Bad because we have lots of RINOs that fuck things up and good because not much liberal garbage makes it through.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing to add to any of the above.  IIA is pretty mellow.  In addition to staying out of Lawrence like somebody mentioned, stay out of Topeka.

The eastern third of the state gets more rainfall and so is greener and has more water and trees than the western two thirds, but you don't seem to be gravitating west.  It can get fairly hot in the summers, high 90's & low hundreds are common.  If you hunt, lots of whitetails, some of which get pretty decent sized, with mule deer out west.  Pheasant pretty common west, central and north, depending on how dry and rough the last winter was.  A surprising amount of waterfowl migrate thru.

Thunderstorms can be severe and spawn tornadoes, although Oklahoma seems to get it worse.  Make sure you have a basement and/or storm shelter.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 4:41:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nothing to add to any of the above.  IIA is pretty mellow.  In addition to staying out of Lawrence like somebody mentioned, stay out of Topeka.

The eastern third of the state gets more rainfall and so is greener and has more water and trees than the western two thirds, but you don't seem to be gravitating west.  It can get fairly hot in the summers, high 90's & low hundreds are common.  If you hunt, lots of whitetails, some of which get pretty decent sized, with mule deer out west.  Pheasant pretty common west, central and north, depending on how dry and rough the last winter was.  A surprising amount of waterfowl migrate thru.

Thunderstorms can be severe and spawn tornadoes, although Oklahoma seems to get it worse.  Make sure you have a basement and/or storm shelter.
View Quote

My mother is real scared of tornados. She thinks every house in the state gets blown away every year. I guess it's not that bad since most of the houses I look at are 60+ years old and still standing?
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Be prepared for some tax shock

All food - taxed

Cars / boats / Rvs / anything that needs licened; annual property tax.  All depends on age but new cars can run you $700 in property taxes annually, until they get some age on it

Home property tax is not super cheap here

Sales tax is getting out of control.  The main places I go it’s 9.75% +

If you don’t like libs / dems; stay out of Lawrence/ Douglas co.
View Quote

This.

Taxes are fucking insane in this state.  Of "red" states the highest taxes anywhere and on par with most northeastern blue states.  Can't wait to leave if for no other reason than the taxes alone.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.

Taxes are fucking insane in this state.  Of "red" states the highest taxes anywhere and on par with most northeastern blue states.  Can't wait to leave if for no other reason than the taxes alone.
View Quote

Holy shit, havent seen you post in a long while.  Figured you left the forum for good.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 6:50:04 AM EDT
[#11]
In response to bowmanch post = +1 post. I was in Topeka for 3 years. Bought a new pickup before moving. When i had to transfer the plate...that will be $980 please.

Winters can be mild or rough.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:06:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Love it here.  Great place to live and raise a family.  Choose your location wisely as anywhere.  Great seasonal weather.  Just about as gun friendly as you can get.  Stay out of the big cities if you have children going to school. Stick to suburbia.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#13]
We are in the NE corner of the state near Leavenworth.

Hunting is pretty good and we get all four seasons of weather here.

The Army has dropped me off in worse places I suppose :)
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Moved from WA to MO to KS....

MO to Ks in the last 5 years. Wouldn’t change for anything.

Love it here other than living in the only Liberal part of KS (Johnson county).  

Taxes are sky high, but not compared to WA.  

People are wonderful.
2A is good here.

I say move. Oregon is a world of weird. I say you are making the right choice
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Love it here other than living in the only Liberal part of KS (Johnson county).  

View Quote
It's sad that Johnson County is turning blue. I guess it was inevitable given all the people moving here.

They will probably redraw 3rd District boundaries and will include Miami county and Johnson county.  Wyandotte county will go to 2nd district.  Maybe with some Miami county help we can get rid of Sharice Davids.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:01:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I understand kansas is currently pretty pro gun. Correct. Ag economy, and majority red.
No license required for concealed carry?Constitutional carry
How do you see the future in kansas though? Good
Is it turning blue? State capitol (Topeka) and dense population areas of over-educated Johnson county/college towns Lawrence/and some of Wichita proper
Are you currently getting pro gun bills or anti gun bills introduced?-uncertain.  Hogdon gunpowder is a KS company and politically involved.
What are the negative things about kansas?As others have mentioned we do have taxes on property and food, and we have good roads and good fire/police.  The weather is extreme.  Expect a few days of <0F and several >100F.  Good news is our weather is transient and generally doesn't stay bad for very long.  It's windy.
south east kansas. Is that a good area, or where else should I be looking? Yes, depending on what you want.  Some on that land is flat and some is quite atttractive with dense hardwoods.  Google earth is your friend for terrain.  Towns will be boring, and like most of midwest and plains states, we have an over-abundance of generic biege corporate restaurants and stores.  Family briick and mortar have been gone for decades because we don't have sufficient population densities to support them.
Does anybody own rental homes? How is the rental market? How is tenant landlord laws?Nothing to share
ETA: another big question, how many homeless are there?Good news, it is very low.  Expect some in Wichita, Topeka, and Wyandotte county.  Large mental hospital in Topeka that has had a legacy affect on the area.  Overall, weather is too harsh and benefits very low. Menninger Clinic Kansaspedia
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Best damn state in the country!
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Does Kansas have any property tax relief for disabled veterans?  The reason that I ask is because I’m 100%, and not paying boatloads of taxes is always nice.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does Kansas have any property tax relief for disabled veterans?  The reason that I ask is because I’m 100%, and not paying boatloads of taxes is always nice.
View Quote

No.  But no income tax for retirees
As stated, Kansas taxes are bullshit.
The real question, trooper, is why the hell you would think of leaving TN?
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No.  But no income tax for retirees
As stated, Kansas taxes are bullshit.
The real question, trooper, is why the hell you would think of leaving TN?
View Quote

2 reasons. First, I miss snow and four seasons. I’m not looking for snow in terms of feet, but I do like snow. We usually get something that’s more of a frozen mush.

Second, Tennessee is turning into a theocracy and it’s driving me nuts. I don’t have anything against religion, but religion shouldn’t lead the state. There are far too many various religions to allow one to take over, and that happened in Tennessee.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#21]
9 years in AK.  You can keep the fucking snow.
as for theocracy, are we talking virgin sacrifice in place of infanticide?  
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
9 years in AK.  You can keep the fucking snow.
as for theocracy, are we talking virgin sacrifice in place of infanticide?  
View Quote

I spent a month in Alaska, at Ft. Wainwright. That was a bit more than I’d like to see!  But I grew up in the mountains of Virginia and we had 4 seasons. In Tennessee we have a kind of winter thing, though for the first time in years we did have a real snow this past winter.

I’m not sure what you mean by infanticide and virgin sacrifice. If you’re referencing abortions that doesn’t play into where I live one way or the other.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#23]
theocracy is a pretty harsh term.  I am sure you have been in places that were actual theocracies.  I mean, live wherever.  But I have been here for 5 and the job market is meh and the taxes are shockingly high.  I just promised my kids I wouldn't move again till they were out of school.  None of them plan on living here or going to school here.  its not a bad state but I have noticed that if your family isn't from here you won't ever be from here either.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks guys, good posts.

I am looking into a relocation to the Hutchinson area so instead of starting another thread will post here.

Coming from NE Ohio, so weather will be a little better, at least a lot more sun.

My wife isn't totally sold yet, she has visions we are going to Dodge city 100 years ago.  

Any particulars about Hutch?  Schools, where to live in town?  I'd prefer some slightly rural area outside of town.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Hutchinson is not bad but 30+ years ago it was a booming town.....now (to me) it's like a ghost town. I still has some of your major places like McDonalds and Walmart but some of the big employers (manufacturing plants) are gone.

Dodge City isn't too bad but it has been 20 years since I have been that way. Someone else might have to chime in on that.

I would say it's a good idea about moving to a smaller community.  My Wife and I lived in Salina when we were first married.  After a couple of years with our kids in school we decided to move back to her hometown of Marion (about 1900 people).  Our kids were pretty much guaranteed a spot on a sports team and they got more of a personalized education with the smaller classrooms.  We are still within an hour of any major big city to do shopping and spend a day somewhere, but at least we have the small town living.

Around Hutch, I would say someplace like Inman, Sterling or Haven.  Our Marion Teams play all of those towns in sports.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top