Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2020 11:44:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LS6TT]
Family is contemplating a move to HI.

If I bring my firearms from here my understanding is:

1) I have to register with the county police department within 3 days of arrival
2) my mags that hold more than 10 rounds must be pinned to 10 rounds. Rifle and handgun
3) my handgun license (Texas is concealed and open carry with license) doesn’t matter
4) I can’t get a concealed handgun license unless I can show a threat to myself

Am I right on these?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:12:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HI5-0] [#1]
Originally Posted By LS6TT:
Family is contemplating a move to HI.

If I bring my firearms from here my understanding is:

1) I have to register with the county police department within 3 days of arrival
2) my mags that hold more than 10 rounds must be pinned to 10 rounds. Rifle and handgun
3) my handgun license (Texas is concealed and open carry with license) doesn’t matter
4) I can’t get a concealed handgun license unless I can show a threat to myself

Am I right on these?
View Quote

It’s going to be a big change for you.

1) registration is within 5 days of who/what arrives last.
2) mags must be modified to hold no more than 10 rounds and not readily restorable
3) no reciprocity with any free state
4) good luck on that one, even with a real threat

Mags apply to pistol mags but there is a pending change in the legislature to include rifle mags. There is also a pending change for the issuance of concealed carry permits to be issued by the state attorney general instead of the individual police chiefs of each county. I only know of one person who was issued a concealed carry permit and he was a staff member of the county government.

Plus, cost of living is really high here. Hawaii is a social welfare dream for those that want to be paid for just being here. Taxes are high and will go higher if the legislature passes the carbon tax law.

ETA: you are only required to register your firearm, so don’t bring your mags when registering your firearm
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks so much for that.

Gun laws aside, do you enjoy being there? Would you move out of the state if you could?

Anything I, as a mainlander, should know.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 3:47:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZippZ] [#3]
Count concealed carry out, it's a no go here.  Even retired law enforcement have a hard time here.

Rifle mags are a greyish area here as the law says no magazines over 10 rounds that can fit in a pistol.  A lot of stores sell them, most people have them and shoot them at a range.  I don't believe anyone's been charged with having a >10 round rifle mag.  Another way to look at is the state is trying to pass a law to ban rifle mags over 10 rounds, so even the state believes they are currently legal.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:47:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LS6TT:
Thanks so much for that.

Gun laws aside, do you enjoy being there? Would you move out of the state if you could?

Anything I, as a mainlander, should know.
View Quote

You’re welcome

I was born and raised here but now that title doesn’t have the same feeling anymore. Many current “born and raised” are being raised in the mainland style.

Yes, I would move from here as the lawmakers here want to follow or one up the California lawmakers. Hate it. The 2A is always under attack.

I wish there was training for new arrivals to assimilate into the local community. Don’t get grossed out by the local foods, try it, you might like it. Locals eat Spam, white rice, raw fish, raw crab, fried fish, opihi, mac salad, pickled vegetables, real marinated teriyaki (beef or pork), poi, kalua pig, fried tako, and the list goes on.

And we say, “brah” not “bro”. Don’t try to speak pidgin unless you are able to pronounce the words correctly. Some try too hard and sound so fake. Some don’t even know what the words mean.

FYI, there is not a set amount of time living here to be considered a local. I was walking past an activity sales booth one day and the sales guy (white, dark hair late 20’s) tell the tourist couple, “Yeah, I’m local. I’ve been here 7 years, I’m local.”  

Like anywhere, just don’t be an arrogant dick and you’ll be fine.

Link Posted: 4/18/2020 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not from Hawaii, but don't you guys also have bans on "assault pistols"? No AR pistols! Right? You guys don't even think about it, but I think most AR owners on the mainland own AR pistols and nobody has mentioned that yet.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AASG:
I'm not from Hawaii, but don't you guys also have bans on "assault pistols"? No AR pistols! Right? You guys don't even think about it, but I think most AR owners on the mainland own AR pistols and nobody has mentioned that yet.
View Quote

This is correct.  Which means no access to the latest crazy in AR's.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:18:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Media_Noche:

This is correct.  Which means no access to the latest crazy in AR's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Media_Noche:
Originally Posted By AASG:
I'm not from Hawaii, but don't you guys also have bans on "assault pistols"? No AR pistols! Right? You guys don't even think about it, but I think most AR owners on the mainland own AR pistols and nobody has mentioned that yet.

This is correct.  Which means no access to the latest crazy in AR's.

No semi auto AR pistols that feed from a detachable magazine.  I have heard of people permanently attaching mags and that being ok.  And by saying “permanently attached”, i mean permanently attached.  The bullet button or even bolting in the mag. doesn’t count.  There are a few guys that have made pump and single shot AR pistols
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top