Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2018 7:12:10 AM EDT
Call your reps....I called mine and he actually called me back.
I spoke with Senator Don Coram today . The general feeling is they may push for Red Flag again. Bans? Possible but according to Mr Coram highly unlikely and according to what he said will get a lot and I mean a lot of push back.

He said they still remember the recalls quite vividly. Someone he speaks to on the other side is a marine vet who just was elected to the Pueblo seat.....They remember 2013 trust me. I am not saying a ban wouldn't happen but its very unlikely as its toxic politically to even discuss such things. They went with a mag ban over an assault weapons ban because of the potential backlash.

He did say some sort of gun control is likely but a ban? Odds are against it. Red flag though in some way, shape or form? Count on it.
I will say that he did mention the GOP will fight if anything nasty comes down the pike and unlike a lot of politicians who say well I support the 2nd. Don bought his first AR 3 weeks ago.

Bottom line Red Flag is the low hanging fruit. Bans are so high up on the tree they would really want to pull it down to get to it.
I concluded the call with him saying "You have my number so call me any time you have concerns on anything happening at the capital."
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The red flag bill scares the shit out of me. There are some rabid leftists in my life that know I have guns, and I wouldn't put it past some of them to report me falsely.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The red flag bill scares the shit out of me. There are some rabid leftists in my life that know I have guns, and I wouldn't put it past some of them to report me falsely.
View Quote
This.

If I've learned anything from the last two years with Trump, it's how vengeful liberals can be- especially when it comes to guns.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Anybody know some pro-gun shrinks? I feel we're gonna need some in the back pocket soon.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#6]
So its now a real threat. I spoke with our other rep from this area. He's confirmed it the DNC have made it a priority and will be pushing it as soon as January.

Be prepared to fight this.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget that Polis supports an "assault weapons" ban. I think they'll go for that after the "red flag" confiscation.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Don't forget that Polis supports an "assault weapons" ban. I think they'll go for that after the "red flag" confiscation.
View Quote
Both reps said its highly unlikely. Red Flag as toxic as it is comes across as being common sense. The fight is between the democrats who've been there for a long time vs the young pricks coming in who have this "We have the power and we will use it" Attitude. That came from Catlin minus the language :)
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:54:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
And quite honestly, the Red Flag law is far worse than an AWB or anything else short of an out right gun ban
View Quote
Yup same here.... just an excuse to kick in doors
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 4:00:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep right there.  I know some as well!!
I started telling people almost a year ago that i sold all my guns off to pay a medical bill....
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:45:52 PM EDT
[#11]
115th CONGRESS
2d Session
H. R. 5717

To authorize the Attorney General to make grants to States that have in place laws that authorize the seizure of firearms from dangerous individuals, and for other purposes.

The last four words says it all
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:50:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
115th CONGRESS
2d Session
H. R. 5717

To authorize the Attorney General to make grants to States that have in place laws that authorize the seizure of firearms from dangerous individuals, and for other purposes.

The last four words says it all
View Quote
to clarify, that bill was proposed in the US House back in May of this year, and appears to be dead.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/5717
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#13]
This bill was attempted once already.

Thankfully, it was killed when it was drafted without language that mandated the subject of a confiscation be provided their due process rights and be provided and mandatory return of their property at a specified period of time or successful outcome of a court hearing.  Without those provisions, Red Flag becomes confiscation.  State Republicans saw this and demanded that language be placed into the bill and effectively killed it.

Now with firm "D" control of every state constitutional office, Governorship and both state legislatures, this becomes a very scary reality.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree Red Flag is going to go through this year for sure. I am pretty sure some of the push will involve the incident in DougCo where that nutball murdered the DougCo deputy, the bill will likely be branded with his name again.

One thing we can do is try to lean on some of the more moderate Dems, that is what I think helped kill some of the legislation such as the campus carry ban in 2013.

I have had some success in engaging them directly with well worded intelligent letters, and a couple of them that I actually visited in person. I understand how passionate many on here are about liberty and gun rights, but one thing that should set us apart from the other side is that we are the people who take the high road. When visiting the capitol or talking to them at their offices, you should be very well dressed, as if you were going to court (coat and tie for gentlemen in my opinion) and 100% in control of your emotions, eg no eye-rolling, anger displays, shouting over proceedings, etc. Many of the people on our side I encountered in 2013 at the capitol were like that, but there were a few exceptions. Our passion for liberty should come across as being reasonable women and men who are in control of themselves and worthy of the title 'citizen', and the attendant rights and responsibilities.

At the risk of being called unprintable names by some here, I would grudgingly support some form of Red Flag if they made three key changes to the bill from last year. I read through the entire bill; two of my changes were wording, and the last would be to add a clause allowing for serious prosecution (e.g. major misdemeanor or felony) of someone who willfully abuses the statute. I will see if I can find my notes from that so as to be ready for January.

We can stand in the corner and scream "shall not be infringed!!" but I can guarantee that is going to do diddly squat for us in the next two years. What will help is getting the right Republicans and especially the correct Democrats (the suburban and rural ones usually) to listen to us and ensure the impact on normal law abiding folks as minimal as possible. I also think the presence and engagement of reasonable gun owners in the process will help stave off other things like so-called "assault weapons" bans and other onerous legislation, because it will help the more moderate folks restrain their more immoderate colleagues. If they don't listen to us, it gives us a lot more tools to use in a recall effort or in replacing them in the next election cycle.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I always loved the fallacy that fighting Dem gun control pushes with Logic was a winning tactic.

There is a hard kernel of infringers gathered around the altar of ultimate power and control of the American people that only ever compromise around feasibility and not intent.

They will always push as far and hard as they can, and our argument that “guns protect the people from an evil government” is met by a retort of “who do you think the “evil” in “evil government” is, dumbass?”
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:36:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Really the only thing that will protect us is the Supreme Court, because I know the people the dems puss off in Colorado wont back down and will take it all the way.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:53:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Next month I move to CO, can't wait to start voting red.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#18]
It's great a couple state reps have said an AWB is unlikely.  They know the inner workings of the General Assembly and have the inside scoop, so their assessments of the situation definitely carry weight.

However, I don't trust Dems to do the rational thing.  If there's another high-profile mass shooting anywhere in the country during the next legislative session - especially if it's a school, I think an AWB will happen.  The Dems will be falling all over themselves to get one passed.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:15:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thats the spirit!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Welcome to the club!   Moved here from TX over a year ago, and it's an amazing state.  Let's make it red again!
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Welcome to the club!   Moved here from TX over a year ago, and it's an amazing state.  Let's make it red again!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate the optimism and I hope you’re right. But I will say this you guys would be astounded at how much this state has changed. You know how people talk about Wyoming and Texas? Yeah that used to be Colorado.

Source: My family has been here since before statehood.

I’m not done fighting I’m just being realistic.

We need Co HTF get together sometime. I think it’d be cool to meet some of you newer Colorado arfcommers.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I appreciate the optimism and I hope you’re right. But I will say this you guys would be astounded at how much this state has changed. You know how people talk about Wyoming and Texas? Yeah that used to be Colorado.

Source: My family has been here since before statehood.

I’m not done fighting I’m just being realistic.

We need Co HTF get together sometime. I think it’d be cool to meet some of you newer Colorado arfcommers.
View Quote
I understand things have dramatically change (even in TX) but we need to stay realistic and optimistic.

And yes, we do need a get together.  Just let me know where.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:11:07 AM EDT
[#23]
After reading this poll 2018 Post-Election Survey I'm left wondering what can light a fire under the Co GOP.  The Co GOP is doing a very poor job of selling Republicans in the face of the constant deluge of negative press.  Some of the people polled actually believe that the GOP is for dirty air, dirty water, etc as well as bad education when we're actually for fiscal responsibility and reasonable conservation.  I understand the fiscal responsibility part means limiting the free ride, but when the voters actually believe Polis is a 'budget hawk' then they not getting the message out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#24]
The red flag stuff is scary to me.  I think any gun owner is going to have to go into hiding in those states.  Angry libtard neighbor decides to report you as crazy and they have the legal right to confiscate your firearms.  It sounds harmless until it is weaponized by the anti-gun crowd.  One guy died in Maryland already....crazy.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/shoot-confiscate-firearms/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20181116_FridayDigest_200g&utm_campaign=/digest/shoot-confiscate-firearms/
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah no real surprise. The best we can do is try to get language in there that makes it harder for it to be abused ala MD and other states. Start doing research now about good sounding poison pills to try to insert into it. You know "reasonable" sounding ones.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Any further info on when exactly we are gonna geat Goatse'd?
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Any further info on when exactly we are gonna geat Goatse'd?
View Quote
When do the dems officially take over? About two hours after that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Any updates on new legislation for this session?
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Any updates on new legislation for this session?
View Quote
A Red Flag law is definitely on the priority list.

I'm sure the Dems have other gun control measures in mind, but they seem to be keeping them quiet... for now.  But I guarantee you, the next high profile mass shooting anywhere in the country, they'll pull out all the stops and go full retard.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm sure the Dems have other gun control measures in mind, but they seem to be keeping them quiet... for now.  But I guarantee you, the next high profile mass shooting anywhere in the country, they'll pull out all the stops and go full retard.
View Quote
The new head of the House said climate change and gun violence were the top priorities. She got a standing ovation. It won't take another high profile shooting for them go hard after gun owners.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah 9 news literally just said a red flag law is the first thing they’re going for.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#32]
This is going to become a national issue (it really already is).  Its a fairly valid issue on what to do with people who aren't in jail, but obviously have some severe mental issues.

Really what we need is the SC to make a judgement on it with regards to the 2A and from there depending on the ruling, we either live free, live subjugated, or resist.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#33]
For me the issue with red flag is due process.  The previous bill was a POS and gave LE the opportunity to fill their evidence locker indefinitely and the burden was on the owner to get them back.  Burden should be on the government to prove right to confiscate.  In addition, the owner should be able to designate an individual who is legally allowed to possess the arms to take custody (and legal liability) for the firearms.  That would prevent the smash and grab that LE will be engaged in.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
For me the issue with red flag is due process.  The previous bill was a POS and gave LE the opportunity to fill their evidence locker indefinitely and the burden was on the owner to get them back.  Burden should be on the government to prove right to confiscate.  In addition, the owner should be able to designate an individual who is legally allowed to possess the arms to take custody (and legal liability) for the firearms.  That would prevent the smash and grab that LE will be engaged in.
View Quote
These laws are blatantly unconstitutional as they violate due process.

I'm sure there will be lawsuits as soon as they can find someone who doesn't have a history of mental illness/violent crime.

Of course that doesn't mean jack shit if it's just yet another gun case the supreme court refuses to hear.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

These laws are blatantly unconstitutional as they violate due process.

I'm sure there will be lawsuits as soon as they can find someone who doesn't have a history of mental illness/violent crime.

Of course that doesn't mean jack shit if it's just yet another gun case the supreme court refuses to hear.
View Quote
If this comes up again in this session (and I know it will) I will be advocating for the ability to send the guns to an FFL for safe keeping (think pawn shop).  Although I don't agree with much of the law, I am mostly against the idea of LEO cashing in on their new found toys.  That crap happens all the time.

As of today, I did not see any legislation pending for RED FLAG.  FYI
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If this comes up again in this session (and I know it will) I will be advocating for the ability to send the guns to an FFL for safe keeping (think pawn shop).  Although I don't agree with much of the law, I am mostly against the idea of LEO cashing in on their new found toys.  That crap happens all the time.

As of today, I did not see any legislation pending for RED FLAG.  FYI
View Quote
The legislative session starts Friday.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The legislative session starts Friday.
View Quote
It started last Friday, the 4th.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Based upon what I read about the "state of the state" address by the new governor, there was no mention of gun control legislation as a priority.  Of course, I did not listen to the speech, and I don't for 1 second think this means it won't come up.  All its going to take is a high profile sick person doing a mass shooting before new legislation becomes a priority over universal preschool.

I will keep monitoring and updating here.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Based upon what I read about the "state of the state" address by the new governor, there was no mention of gun control legislation as a priority.  Of course, I did not listen to the speech, and I don't for 1 second think this means it won't come up.  All its going to take is a high profile sick person doing a mass shooting before new legislation becomes a priority over universal preschool.

I will keep monitoring and updating here.
View Quote
LOL. Hick was "opposed" to gun control, right up till it came to his desk and he signed every fucking bill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top