Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2023 4:40:17 PM EDT
Looking for a little bit of help, other than the RI gov websites..

I just got to Newport, active mil, and looking to get a RI concealed carry permit. It looks like there is two options, through the AG which appears still to be 'may issue' which is crazy based on the Bruen case... but beside the point, and then 'shall issue' through local licensing authorities. Would this simply mean the local PD? My current state CCW is from Oklahoma, my home of residence and it was always handled through the county sheriff's office, however it looks like that is not the case here.

Anyone heard of mil getting one based on orders to the location or is it a futile attempt? Of note, I do not have intentions of changing my driver's license and home of record to RI but simply am considered a resident based on military orders alone.

Thanks for any help up front!

Briar
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 9:27:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sgwlower] [#1]
Originally Posted By BBOHACH:
Looking for a little bit of help, other than the RI gov websites..

I just got to Newport, active mil, and looking to get a RI concealed carry permit. It looks like there is two options, through the AG which appears still to be 'may issue' which is crazy based on the Bruen case... but beside the point, and then 'shall issue' through local licensing authorities. Would this simply mean the local PD? My current state CCW is from Oklahoma, my home of residence and it was always handled through the county sheriff's office, however it looks like that is not the case here.

Anyone heard of mil getting one based on orders to the location or is it a futile attempt? Of note, I do not have intentions of changing my driver's license and home of record to RI but simply am considered a resident based on military orders alone.

Thanks for any help up front!

Briar
View Quote

To be honest, if you are not going to claim RI as your residence, you are going to have a tough row.

That being said, yes you can apply through Newport police department, that is your local authority. They may flat out tell you will need to apply at the AG lever due to you not being a resident, in which case, I’ll be honest unless you are armored car driver, you aren’t going to get it.

Our AG feels that everything we have in place is completely constitutional, forced the mag ban through, and is crying hard for an AWB.

You got sent to RI at the worst time as a gun owner.

Welcome to this shithole of a state…..put in your orders now for transfer as soon as possible.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#2]
That’s the hard part. Legally (federal) military orders count as state residency so theoretically it shouldn’t be an issue. Just know it will be. It’s only for 14 months.. so not the worst thing but would like to get it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#3]
You obviously should try! Just wanted to lay out real life chances of getting it for you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 8:03:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DrVenkman87] [#4]
Check out RIGuns on reddit. I see chatter thar Foster is go to go for non res that has out of state ccw. I will probably apply there soon. Foster is also a 2A sanctuary town.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The RI Firearms Owners League forum has some good info, as well. I've successfully applied for a permit through 2 different CLEO's in towns that i've lived in. I'm sure the guys at A&M deal with a lot of .mil types; they probably have a decent idea on how receptive the NPD chief is to permiting non-residents.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Will definitely ask them. Have a lower coming that way soon as well. Thanks gents!
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I would go to the department and ask. If that doesn't work go to NK. They were good with doing out of state permits a few years ago.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DrVenkman87:
Check out RIGuns on reddit. I see chatter thar Foster is go to go for non res that has out of state ccw. I will probably apply there soon. Foster is also a 2A sanctuary town.
View Quote

This is great information!
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sgwlower:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sgwlower:
Originally Posted By DrVenkman87:

Seems like they are flooded with applications and are taking 6+ months but seems to be the best option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top