Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2021 10:38:16 AM EDT
Looking for some guidance, I know Maine is constitutional carry. I am planning some camping trips around New England and doing some research on states. All items will remain secured in my truck or camper unless I’m at the range or a friends property.

As far as I know Maine has no restrictions on NFA items such as SBR’s and suppressors. Other than filing the 5320.20 with the ATF are there anything to be aware of? Otherwise I could just bring a standard rifle.

What’s the deal with parks such as Acadia National Park? Is that off limits unless you have a ME state permit?

Are there any “off limits” areas other than federal buildings and schools? What about other state forests and parks?

There are no magazine capacity limits correct?
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#1]
For parks im pretty sure you’ll need a ccw permit to carry in them.  When i get more time or if someone already know for sure ill edit with more info.

No mag limit unless hunting
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses-permits/concealed-carry-maine

This will answer most of your questions.

No capacity limits. Not sure on NFA stuff, I don't have any. I don't believe there are any restrictions.

Link Posted: 6/12/2021 4:04:40 AM EDT
[#3]
No restrictions on NFA items.

The link provided has good info for you.

Generally you can carry what you want where you want short of the typical no go places.

You mentioned traveling around NE.  VT surprised me with mag limits but it seems NFA is okay as I understand the laws.

The NRA website has good info on traveling with fire arms.  

Safe travels to you
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses-permits/concealed-carry-maine

This will answer most of your questions.

No capacity limits. Not sure on NFA stuff, I don't have any. I don't believe there are any restrictions.

View Quote

Correct no restrictions on nfa. I have a couple stamps.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:36:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I posted a thread in GD.. I'm moving permanently in Oct from Ohio. From everything I've read and researched, all my currently Ohio legal items are also good to go in Maine (I don't have any NFA stuff). Also I apparently won't need my CHL to carry once I get there. My only real concern was passing through NYS, but the consensus seems to be that firearms and mags/ammo separate and secured is good to go as long as you don't make extended stops in ban states.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I posted a thread in GD.. I'm moving permanently in Oct from Ohio. From everything I've read and researched, all my currently Ohio legal items are also good to go in Maine (I don't have any NFA stuff). Also I apparently won't need my CHL to carry once I get there. My only real concern was passing through NYS, but the consensus seems to be that firearms and mags/ammo separate and secured is good to go as long as you don't make extended stops in ban states.
View Quote

I would make sure you do not stop at all in unfriendly states (NY, NJ, MA). Fill up the gas tank before you enter and have enough to get somewhere friendly or drive a little extra to go around what you can if possible. I don’t think FOPA will cover you if you stop for anything other than an emergency.

Print out a copy of FOPA (firearm owners protection act) and keep a copy with you. Follow it exactly as it pertains to gun and ammo storage. Keep everything completely out of sight and buried.

Welcome to the Northeast.

Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I would make sure you do not stop at all in unfriendly states (NY, NJ, MA). Fill up the gas tank before you enter and have enough to get somewhere friendly or drive a little extra to go around what you can if possible. I don’t think FOPA will cover you if you stop for anything other than an emergency.

Print out a copy of FOPA (firearm owners protection act) and keep a copy with you. Follow it exactly as it pertains to gun and ammo storage. Keep everything completely out of sight and buried.

Welcome to the Northeast.

View Quote

This……

Also if you get the state carry permit it allows you to carry in parks, just something to think about if you do alot of visiting them and want to carry.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Others would know more about NY laws - but you could easily get into issues with possession of anything that a NY resident could not have.  The police, being the good SS that they are, will send you to the Camp first then find out if you have the proper papers later.

You may want to think about mailing any higher than 10 round mags, and if you have any AR's, mailing the uppers as well, as the lowers by themselves (I think!) are not considered an assault rifle by itself.

Hug PA as as long as possible, then dash from there into VT by the most direct route, as NJ is a dump, as is Mass.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I have all the things. Legally. Maine is great. Enjoy your visit and make sure you stop at Kittery Trading post on your way in. Lots of stuff to look at and there is always a deal of the day!

Bev
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top