Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2021 11:45:56 PM EDT
Combat medicus class.  
All required stuff for combat class (rifle plates, magazines, water)
Helmet optional

Enhanced need for medical kit.  
-TQ (not a rats)
-compression bandage (Israeli bandage)
-nasal airway
-chest seal(x2)
-quick clot (combat gauze)
-gauze
-Needle decompression
-tape (frog tape?)
(check out the NAR kit)

At fly over and maybe some other event I might be at we will have a talk about combat casualty care.  I think someone will be at west to do a talk.
At fly over medicus class will have a follow on task...  After your chug when you are in your bad way the instant your time is stopped.  Your buddy is hurt and needs your help.  
-Small movement to 'body' (duffle bag with weight)  
-buddy carry or drag that bag to cover location.  
-evaluate
-apply TQ
-apply Israeli bandage
-explain cpr/rescue breathing
-explain treat hypothermia
-explain make shift leg splint/arm splint

I will have a few compressions and tq for use.  You need to have one but you will use mine for the event so you don't muck up yours in training.
I will have some kind of prize for someone at FO to start and I believe I will have patches made that will not be given to anyone that doesn't save a life after their run.  
More importantly I will respect the shit out of you.  

If you do not have the 'combat class' portion of this you may still conduct the follow on task and will likely still be in my shining graces.

Do hard things

Watch for the tag medicus class on subject lines.  I hope to link videos from across the internet that best display basic life saving functions utilizing some of these tools.  I am posting this here on top of other areas in the hopes of getting new comers to be able to see the requirements.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By cwar_USA:
Combat medicus class.  
All required stuff for combat class (rifle plates, magazines, water)
Helmet optional

Enhanced need for medical kit.  
-TQ (not a rats)
-compression bandage (Israeli bandage)
-nasal airway
-chest seal(x2)
-quick clot (combat gauze)
-gauze
-Needle decompression
-tape (frog tape?)
(check out the NAR kit)

At fly over and maybe some other event I might be at we will have a talk about combat casualty care.  I think someone will be at west to do a talk.
At fly over medicus class will have a follow on task...  After your chug when you are in your bad way the instant your time is stopped.  Your buddy is hurt and needs your help.  
-Small movement to 'body' (duffle bag with weight)  
-buddy carry or drag that bag to cover location.  
-evaluate
-apply TQ
-apply Israeli bandage
-explain cpr/rescue breathing
-explain treat hypothermia
-explain make shift leg splint/arm splint

I will have a few compressions and tq for use.  You need to have one but you will use mine for the event so you don't muck up yours in training.
I will have some kind of prize for someone at FO to start and I believe I will have patches made that will not be given to anyone that doesn't save a life after their run.  
More importantly I will respect the shit out of you.  

If you do not have the 'combat class' portion of this you may still conduct the follow on task and will likely still be in my shining graces.

Do hard things

Watch for the tag medicus class on subject lines.  I hope to link videos from across the internet that best display basic life saving functions utilizing some of these tools.  I am posting this here on top of other areas in the hopes of getting new comers to be able to see the requirements.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I strive to be as hard as this thread makes me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:35:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Since I'll likely be running combat anyway, I don't mind moving the extra items to my carried ifak.
I've been lobbying for months for a CW course where you have to drag a dummy with you for a few obstacles, as well as perform first aid as an obstacle. Maybe I should see if my sewing machine is up to making a 1000D sand filled CW substitute
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#5]
The first video set and how to is going to be for the compression bandage.  

Right out the gate I want to make it clear I'm not a medical professional and this is for informational purposes only.  I also have no affiliation with any manufacturer of medical supplies or any youtuber or website I might share as how to guides.

This is a good overview of the sterile packaging and a quick application demo.

https://youtu.be/wNR8rRFgwNk

Skinny medic covers a lot of the info about the use of a T3 version.  He covers some important points about junctional use for areas that during bad bleeds can't use a standard TQ.  Head wounds, shoulder, pelvis and chest wounds may be treatable with a compression bandage.  The use of gauze working in conjunction with the bandage for wounds that are deeper is pretty standard.  In this video we get a decent demo on the wound packing aspect as well around 4 minutes or so.  One very important take away is packing means PACKED.  Whether you are using an add on NAR type compressed gauze package or standard rolls of gauze more is good.  Note he isn't applying the bandage instantly on finding the wound.  He is packing and applying manual pressure to hopefully stop or greatly reduce the bleed before covering you can pull off and rework if needed.  The use of combat gauze or hemostatic agents can be used as well more to be covered in the future.  

https://youtu.be/DadXqNaLNj8

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is a video starting at 41 seconds in to see two alternative brands you can get.  One that that is important in choosing your bandage is you really want to budget in a 'spare' bandage that you open up right away and get hands on knowledge of them.  You don't want to be seeing a bandage in person for the first time when someone is screaming and bleeding.  The outer packaging is also something that you might have peeps and vomit on your hands or maybe blood, sweat and other bodily fluids.  Overseas we used to put two pieces of tape one on the top of the tear off and one on the bottom that you could more easily grab onto with gloves and rip the whole thing open.  Towards the end when suggesting the NAR over the oales he makes points about using a 'jack of all trades' type bandage verses having separate occlusive dressings like a hyfin.  Take into account this is coming from a paramedic who will always have a large aid bag with multiples of everything.  In your personal blow out type kit the Oales is an awesome flat pack option to have that may more tools on your belt.

https://youtu.be/h29vJcbak5E?t=41

Of course compression bandages are going to work in conjunction with other devices we talk about in the future.  With a more extensive kit you will want to carry multiple of these bandages in various sizes.  If you are in a scenario where there are multiple people hurt and you are an hour away from help you will need to begin work immediately.  A compression bandage is good for this use as you can pack and compress allowing you to move on to other issues or others who might also need your help.  

I had to cut this in half because of word count.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Will this be at SE in April?  

Why no RAT TQ?  They are the standard and in my IFAK.  I have everything else.  This is perfect for my old ass.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ErikS:
Will this be at SE in April?  

Why no RAT TQ?  They are the standard and in my IFAK.  I have everything else.  This is perfect for my old ass.
View Quote

Please do not use non CoTCCC approved tourniquets. I like my patients alive.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I will try to talk about them some when I hit tqs.  I'd rather not put out partial stuff but as mentioned above the cotccc put out new approved commercially sourced TQ guidelines in 2019 and they did not include rats.  I will try and do a video dump for tq next.  Again Im not a med professional so if someone else has a minute and the expertise to explain why they should not be your primary TQ I would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By spunk:

View Quote

I have always kept my IFAK as issued. Red tipped TQs.

PM me with updated TQ information.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Makes me think you're talking CAT TQs instead of rats.

Rats tq:

CAT tq:

The CAT is the gold standard, the RAT was created by a guy who cares more about selling his product than saving lives and has put out false and dangerous information about his and other products to do so.

That said, the RAT can work, just like a lamp cord can work (see VA tech incident), but it requires much more muscle power to apply tight enough to cause occlusion, cannot be tightened further once applied, and is far more likely to cause nerve and tissue damage than those recommended by the CoTCCC.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I will try to talk about them some when I hit tqs.  I'd rather not put out partial stuff but as mentioned above the cotccc put out new approved commercially sourced TQ guidelines in 2019 and they did not include rats.  I will try and do a video dump for tq next.  Again Im not a med professional so if someone else has a minute and the expertise to explain why they should not be your primary TQ I would appreciate it.
View Quote

Roger, moving.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

I think you might have meant CAT then.
The RATS TQ is the long bendy trash that’s like a 1/4” wide.

Here’s the list of currently approved TQ’s

https://deployedmedicine.com/market/31/content/100?fbclid=IwAR01MjKXMYdCE9xXdmbQra8t7E2zuxe4k-0lB3E6LssfB98qcTpFYSuups8
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By keeperofthedew:

Makes me think you're talking CAT TQs instead of rats.

Rats tq:

https://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/witmerpublicsafety/W-RATS-POS-RM-MED-TQ_alt1?$Product%20Page$

CAT tq:

https://www.firearmreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/NAR-CAT-TQ.jpg

The CAT is the gold standard, the RAT was created by a guy who cares more about selling his product than saving lives and has put out false and dangerous information about his and other products to do so.

That said, the RAT can work, just like a lamp cord can work (see VA tech incident), but it requires much more muscle power to apply tight enough to cause occlusion, cannot be tightened further once applied, and is far more likely to cause nerve and tissue damage than those recommended by the CoTCCC.
View Quote

Yes

CAT

The standard issue TQ in most .mil IFAKs.

I honestly thought you meant CAT but fat fingered RAT and blew it off as a typo.

I have never seen the RAT. I have seen counterfeit CAT TQs. Look for the red trademark tip.

I have two in my ifak in my truck and one in my hunting kit when I am out in the woods.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Somebody already hit the RATS.
Strong dislike for that thing.

I’m a TCCC/CLS instructor and I’ve talked briefly about Cola Medicus with the OP.
I will be teaching some basic stuff (enough to compete in Medicus) @ west 7, and other events I attend.

We can develop some kind of grading rubric for evaluators of the competitors.

This is something I’m very interested in and I will help as much as I can. This isn’t my chicken but I’ll hold the tail.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Somebody already hit the RATS.
Strong dislike for that thing.

I’m a TCCC/CLS instructor and I’ve talked briefly about Cola Medicus with the OP.
I will be teaching some basic stuff (enough to compete in Medicus) @ west 7, and other events I attend.

We can develop some kind of grading rubric for evaluators of the competitors.

This is something I’m very interested in and I will help as much as I can. This isn’t my chicken but I’ll hold the tail.
View Quote

The only reason I have the chicken is because no one had done it on an industrial scale.  You of course are much sharper than I am on this so feel free to tell me I am stupid at any point and I will check my premise or privilege or something.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Do not buy TQs on ebay....Do not buy TQs on amazon.  
Do not buy TQs on ebay....Do not buy TQs on amazon.  

Ok here is a dump on TQs as they are being talked about.  I want to touch on a few quick items before dragging on about them.  

Having a tourniquet is very similar to owning a gun.  It will only do you any good if you have it on you.  Much like a gun though there are side notes that don't get mentioned.  A TQ is only worth a damn if it is used properly.  A TQ needs to be practiced.  An off brand or replica TQ is not likely going to withstand the pressure needed to stop a bleed.  A TQ applied can very easily lead to loss of the limb it is applied to.  If the difference in life and death scenario is that you apply a TQ and stop the injured person from bleeding out that limb no longer matters....BUT if you are miles and miles from help and you have someone with a less than life threatening bleed you may be amputating the persons limb.  

As mentioned in previous posts the CoTCCC is the committee for tactical combat casualty care.  They are made up of hundreds of professionals in the pre-hospital subset of the trauma system.  One huge thing the wars in Afghan and Iraq have taught us is how to keep people alive in that golden period from the point of injury to a competent surgeon able to save them.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Tourniquets have been the signature success in battlefield trauma care in Afghanistan and Iraq
View Quote

-Frank Butler READ: increasing survival

From the above paper (which is worth a 5 page read) We saw that KIA in Vietnam from extremity hemorrhage was about 7.4% of all casualties.  In the beginning of the conflict in Afghanistan we saw an almost identical 7.8% bleed out rate.  

Several things had effect on the casualty rates but three things stand out.  

• CAT TQ's in the pocket of every service member

• Hemostatic agent or combat gauze in every IFAK

• A combat casualty care class for every person who went overseas

By 2011 the death rate of extremity bleed out dropped to 2.6%

This is a decent little lesson on the use of TQ's why they are important and what you are looking to get done.  The demo with different muscle masses is important to cola warriors as we are big strong bad assses with huge muscles and stuff.
VIDEO: what is a tq
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#19]
How to video directly from north american rescue the creator of the CAT TQ
Big take aways.

-2-3 inches above the wound site.

-Initial velcro tightness doesn't allow for 2 or 3 fingers between flesh and nylon

-Twist rod (windlass) until 'bleeding has stopped'  This can be tested by feeling for pulse as well.  If there is a pulse you are not tight enough.
----If your initial velcro connection is loose it will be very difficult to get the windlass/rod tight enough to stop the bleed.  Later we will discuss breakages

-If bleeding resumes or you feel a pulse additional tightening might be needed

-You may need a second TQ even if you have done everything right.  Its all about surface area mixed with pressure.  

This video covers 2 hand install, 1 hand install and how to prepare for quick application.  

VIDEO: NAR how to cat tq video

That video is a great way to see that these things aren't vodoo magic and can save lives if done right.  So where do we go wrong.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#20]
What makes a TQ fail

A study of Marines in the early 2010s found that the failure rates of CATs were far higher in Afghanistan under actual usage than made sense from the same failure rates seen in training.  

It was found that CATs left out exposed to the elements on a constant basis had a higher chance of failing.  

It was found that the Marines were far more willing to tighten the TQ more than enough on a squad mate who was alive and well but were under tightening when it involved a wounded squad mate.  The design of the windlass is that you cannot just keep rotating for additional pressure.  That is the weak point on the device.  

I would really like to hear insight from others on this but in my training to apply a TQ to violent bleeds such as the main arteries of the extremities it was best to apply knee pressure as soon as possible into the pocket of the arm or leg in an attempt to put as much weight on the artery as possible and apply "high and tight" or at least 2-3 inches above the major bleed.  I had Afghan policemen trying to fight me off as I applied a TQ to a leg amputation as the pain of the pressure applied was more than they were feeling from the loss of the knee down.  The reality of the matter is that trying to be nice to the person wounded may very well result in additional blood loss.  Losing just 1/5 of your blood plasma will sling you into shock.  

Lets take a real world look at an application.  

VIDEO: real application

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Storage.  There are a ton of things you can do.  Attach to plate carrier with products or simple retainer bands.  

I have a few elastic style carriers made by esstac elastic tq holder you can use this as a dangler under your carrier or on the sides as long as you can reach it with either hand in your carrier.  I also have one of the SBF carriers which esstac also sells sbf hard carrier  If you want more info on these just email stu and he will tell you lots of stuff Im sure.  I will put out that I am a fan boy of esstac stuff so if you find other versions that are similar thats cool too.

There are several variants out now and the CoTCCC mentioned above cleared more recently for use.  I have always been a big fan of the SOF-T wide.  I carry them on my cool guy bag.  I have cats in my work and personal vehicle.  I would like to try out the sam variant as well some day but figure I will stick with what I am good at for now.  

In this video we get a run down of a few various types and how they vary.  

VIDEO: new approved TQs
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Approved means brings us to....not so approved means.  I will not suggest someone use something that is gimmicky or runs in the face of the findings of combat medicine after the lessons have been so hard won over the last 20 years.  I don't know much about rats TQ.  I looked at them and wanted to know if there was something I was missing.  From everything I saw I found missing surface area and a narrow band that is going to damage tissue and possibly not stop the blood flow.  The original sof tq is no longer authorized for use for the reason of being too narrow.  The rats is meant to be repeatedly wrapped over and over in an attempt to make more surface area out of them.  Honestly the result is an item that is harder to use than it needs to be.  

VIDEO: guys complain about rats
VIDEO: leo applies rat.  

The second video is a rat being installed.  Its a bad install.  Rather than repeating the wrap he does it once and tight.  He does it over the pants which might be ok but her pockets are full of shit and it was completely unknown how much she was bleeding.  Probably should add shears to the required list.  I have them on mine and in this case you could have removed the pants to see better what you are dealing with.  Also notice that the person shot wants the TQ off...well thats probably because its doing its job.  In this case its also because he has a single band in use and it is likely causing nerve and tissue damage.  

If you don't have a TQ yet you should get one as soon as possible.  Buy direct from a major retailer not ebay or amazon.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#23]
The unit I work with is starting TCCC vs the old SABC.  

I don't think needle decompression is part of the training.  I never got it.  

This reminds me I need to check my kit for expiring parts.  

I used my skills this past summer.  I splinted my wife's broken arm, the ER nurse asked if I was a doc, because I did it positioned it correctly and securely.  I answered, "no" of course.  Her next statement was, "you must be military, then".    Cardboard folded for a splint, towels folded for pads and duct tape to secure it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#24]

The only reason I have the chicken is because no one had done it on an industrial scale.  You of course are much sharper than I am on this so feel free to tell me I am stupid at any point and I will check my premise or privilege or something.
View Quote

You’re doing fine, and I really appreciate the effort.
If I can get someone that knows this stuff to grade me I’ll be running night medicus at west next month.

I use CAT’s. This isn’t because I prefer them. It’s because I’m required to keep a bag packed full of class VIII and carry it around as part of my duties.
I’m NOT saying the CAT is a bad product, I’m saying that I don’t pay for them.

If you open a new CAT v7 TQ, it’s packaged exactly the way you would carry one on your person for self application to an upper extremity. This would be for the -one handed, looped- application.

With a looped TQ you SHOULD orient it so the red tip of the TQ band is pointed towards your torso.
Place looped TQ as high on the limb as possible, but not over the bones of the upper torso.
You CAN do this over garments.

This orientation allows you to use the most force pre-tightening the TQ band around your upper limb.

After you have taken all of the slack out of  the TQ strap (read this as ::tight as toad asshole:: and not 3 fingers underneath) you secure the remaining one-sided Velcro to the strap.

You then open the securing Velcro on the windlass clip(or have it staged so the windlass clip is open prior to use) then tighten the windlass (no more than 3, 180* turns).

You then secure the windlass under one side of the clip:

Route the remaining free-running end of the strap through the clip for security:

Then secure the Velcro over the windlass clip:

It’s easier for most people to view this in action than it is to talk about.TQ self applied, looped

Deployed medicine does a pretty good job with their videos, and they are a CoTCCC approved source, so is their mobile app and webpage.
We actually use these at the schoolhouse.
After  going through their content I’ve found a few pretty glaring mistakes in the videos, but they’re fine for getting the concepts down.

I’d just like to point out that the only time you should use a looped TQ is on your own arm.

You should ALWAYS route TQ’s around the limb if applied to another person, I don’t mean “if possible” I mean always.

I’ll write more later, or respond to questions.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#25]

I’d just like to point out that the only time you should use a looped TQ is on your own arm.

You should ALWAYS route TQ’s around the limb if applied to another person, I don’t mean “if possible” I mean always.
View Quote

Can you cover this more?  I have always used that as a general rule as if you are putting on a TQ the limb is likely not in good shape and I never felt I had issues applying one despite the clamor about gross vs fine motor skills.  I linked one video of a cat application by a LEO that he had a very hard time I believe he tried putting it on upside down IE windlass towards body the first time and had to pull completely off.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#26]
This has turned into a great thread!!  

Thanks a ton.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Can you cover this more?  I have always used that as a general rule as if you are putting on a TQ the limb is likely not in good shape and I never felt I had issues applying one despite the clamor about gross vs fine motor skills.  I linked one video of a cat application by a LEO that he had a very hard time I believe he tried putting it on upside down IE windlass towards body the first time and had to pull completely off.
View Quote

Sure.

If you’re self applying a TQ to an upper limb, you can’t route it because you’ve only got one arm to use. So looped is the way to go.

Looped TQ’s that are self applied are often applied incorrectly or not tight enough, so by having the tip of the strap oriented towards yourself you can apply greater force as it’s pointed towards the “divers triangle” and you’ll end up tugging the windlass towards yourself.

This helps with placement and initial tightness of the TQ band on the anatomy.

There are several reasons to use a routed TQ on a limb (self applied, lower limb).

One: you will probably be seated initially or move to a seated position to place it, and passing the looped TQ over your foot(or most distal portion of a blast amputated limb for example) is difficult. It’s going to be even more difficult if you’re wearing armor and a rigid belt.

Two: you can “seesaw” the routed TQ to place it as proximal as possible to the torso because it’s not in a loop.

Three: if it’s looped, it’s going to get stuck on all the lickies, chewies and porn you have stuffed in your pockets and will likely be placed diagonally across the limb (bad) or not make it past the borders of the wound most proximal to the torso (fatal).

Four: as stated already, if you have two hands to place your TQ (on self or on buddy) you should do so because it’s:
A.) easier.
B.) the time saved in using it looped (none) will outweigh the time fucking around your shitty, looped placement (significant).
C.) if you only do it one way (routed, buddy or self application) every time you practice, you will be much more likely to have initial success.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#28]
This has turned into a great thread!!  

Thanks a ton.
View Quote

I’m just getting started, it may get better.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#29]
The unit I work with is starting TCCC vs the old SABC.  

I don't think needle decompression is part of the training.  I never got it.  
View Quote

The Airmen that come through my schoolhouse (compo 2/3 dudes) get the full CLS course and not the “all services” course.
They get the “full English”.
TQ’s, junctional wounds, NPA, NCD, etc.
we do a flight? Squadron? Or something once a quarter and then our task force runs a field exercise for them as an STX before they go.
Usually it’s engineers and we usually do a “base defense” exercise for them.
Most of them, even the TC3 trained ones, learn new things from us.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#30]

The Airmen that come through my schoolhouse (compo 2/3 dudes) get the full CLS course and not the “all services” course.
They get the “full English”.
TQ’s, junctional wounds, NPA, NCD, etc.
we do a flight? Squadron? Or something once a quarter and then our task force runs a field exercise for them as an STX before they go.
Usually it’s engineers and we usually do a “base defense” exercise for them.
Most of them, even the TC3 trained ones, learn new things from us.
View Quote

That is cool.  They should offer it to more airman snuffy types.

Just last week we had to airlift a guy off the flight line for a major eye injury. It was just a normal day on the ramp and a jet bit him.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:04:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spunk] [#31]
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:32:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#32]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I need to order a chest seal, 2 quickclot gauze bandages and a new Nose Snorkel.

I am glad this thread reminded me to check on expiration dates. They expired n Feb.

I keep one CAT handy in my truck always and my IFAK stays in my console.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#33]
OST
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Hit up Rescue Essentials this month. Code STOPTHEBLEED gets you 25% off STB products.

https://www.rescue-essentials.com/stop-the-bleed-1/

Also, for everyone saying the RATS is useless you need to educate yourself. It is fantastic for keeping the legs on my portable projector screen from rattling, I've been using it for years.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#35]
sadly my time at flyover will now be limited to friday saturday so we can have a medical refresher class but I won't be able to run anything for runners in advance or on thursday.  This saddens me but is life.  Might be able to do an add on portion at children of the corn if I can help with staff stuff and not have it detract too much from the new event.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Tag....
no action in here for a while.....

Feed me Seymour!

Will there be a class at Fly Over?
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Slarti:
Tag....

Feed me Seymour!

View Quote

Afraid not from me my man I am only going to be making it out for friday saturday now.  We might be able to sit down for a how to class but there won't be a separate part to the comp this year.  Work decided I was to valuable.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 4:32:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pevrs114] [#38]
When I originally designed Combat Class with Crow, it was supposed to have an IFAK included (and helmet, too).

I'm glad to see medical equipment and skills prioritized.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Afraid not from me my man I am only going to be making it out for friday saturday now.  We might be able to sit down for a how to class but there won't be a separate part to the comp this year.  Work decided I was to valuable.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Slarti:
Tag....

Feed me Seymour!

A how to class would be great. Took a stop the bleed class last year but could definitely use a refresher.

Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By pevrs114:
When I originally designed Combat Class with Crow, it was supposed to have an IFAK included (and helmet, too).

View Quote

IFAK has been required every time I ran combat.

Never helmet though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah, IFAK made the cut, helmet didn't.

Based on the OP, it seemed that IFAK had been dropped along the way. Glad it hasn't.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Never helmet though.
View All Quotes

Never helmet though.

I will run with helmet this year just because but I am fatter than ever so it won't likely be of importance.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#43]

I will run with helmet this year just because but I am fatter than ever so it won't likely be of importance.
View All Quotes

Never helmet though.

i finally have a helmet and a pvs-14 and can't make flyover or heartland.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#44]
I usually teach a class a events I make it to. I did a post-run night combat medicus class at the last CWW.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#45]
A little late to the party, I know; here’s a link to the latest CoTCCC recommended gear (includes TQs, hemostatic agents, etc.) as of 01 Sept 2021:

https://learning-media.allogy.com/api/v1/pdf/ef9c8ec7-c4b2-4948-9ff5-fb34f504032a/contents

As far as IFAKs go, they’re meant for use on you — either by you (self-aid), or by someone else (buddy-aid). With that in mind, I say go for one with the extras (i.e. decompression needles), so that the supplies are there for a trained person to use on you, if needed.

Legal disclaimer: Never perform an intervention on a patient for which you are not trained & authorized to perform under either online or offline protocols.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By 8eDeuce:
A little late to the party, I know; here’s a link to the latest CoTCCC recommended gear (includes TQs, hemostatic agents, etc.) as of 01 Sept 2021:

https://learning-media.allogy.com/api/v1/pdf/ef9c8ec7-c4b2-4948-9ff5-fb34f504032a/contents

As far as IFAKs go, they’re meant for use on you — either by you (self-aid), or by someone else (buddy-aid). With that in mind, I say go for one with the extras (i.e. decompression needles), so that the supplies are there for a trained person to use on you, if needed.

Legal disclaimer: Never perform an intervention on a patient for which you are not trained & authorized to perform under either online or offline protocols.
View Quote

hi do you wanna be friends?
[] yes
[] no
[] maybe
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 1:31:13 AM EDT
[#47]

hi do you wanna be friends?
[] yes
[] no
[] maybe
View Quote

PM sent.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 11:04:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Looks like the CoTCCC dropped another update (dated 15 Dec 2021, published 08 Mar 2022). Looks like no changes were made to the list recommend TQs or Hemostatic Agents/Devices:

https://learning-media.allogy.com/api/v1/pdf/c1e1c696-c61d-43ae-bb6d-16dcd1cb7ff2/contents

https://www.deployedmedicine.com/market/11/content/100
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#50]
I had been trying to figure out what the .mil is using to stock the “JFAC” (Joint-Service First Aid Kit) — One IFAK to heal them ALL. Until recently, I had been stumped...  logistics websites publish things like the following:
“Components: [W]e are not publishing detailed component listings to the general public, in order to prevent unauthorized / counterfeit manufacture of this kit.”

However, now that these are starting to hit the secondary / surplus market, the info is becoming publicly available.

For any who have also been wondering, here is what I found:

JFAK Contains

• 2 Tourniquets, Combat Application (C.A.T.)

• 2 Tourniquet pouches, which can be removed to attach elsewhere on the M.O.L.L.E. System or carried in the pocket.

• 1 Bandage Kit, Cravat XL Non Adhearing Burn Bandage. Can be used as: Triangular Bandage, Swathe, or Sling among other uses.

• 2 Multipurpose Compression Dressings, 8" x 10" ABD Pad with H Compressionn Cleat, Sterile.

• 2 Bandage Compression Gauze, Roller, Sterile

• 2 Quik Clot Combat Guaze, Z folded, Vacuum Sealed, Sterile.

• 2 One-way Valve Chest Wound Seal, Entrance/Exit Seals

• 1 Mini-Sharpie

• 2 Eye Shields

• 1 Combat Medic Reinforcement Tape (Duct Tape)

• 1 Airway, Nasopharyngeal, 28fr, 12s, Sterile

• 2 Pair Black Talon Gloves, Patient Exam (4ea)

• 1 Tactical Combat Casualty Card

• 1  Gerber Strap Cutter

• 1 Pouch, JFAK

Color: Scorpion/OCP
Made in the USA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top