Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2021 2:19:52 PM EDT
Planning a trip in July, headed through MO on I-70. Looking to stop around Columbia, is this a safe area?  Would most likely be a Marriott in that area. Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not KC or STL...but it wants to be.  It's pretty laid back...nothing to worry about....just make sure you carry...been a while, but Drury should work for you..right off the interstate.  College town, so expect to run into a commie or two.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
My girlfriend and I stayed there a couple weeks ago. Perfectly fine. We stayed just south of 1-70 and 63 highway. Very nice area. We both commented how neither of us think we heard a siren the whole weekend we were there. A 180 degrees from what see in KC on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Granted it was 8-9 years ago Columbia was pretty chill last time I was there.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a big college town.  There are some bad areas north of I-70 and a couple south of it but for the most part it's not too bad as far as crime goes.  Definitely better than a lot of KC and STL areas in my opinion.  Summer is a better time to come through due to fewer dumbass undergrads playing phone zombie.

The name brand hotels in the I-10/highway 63 interchange area are pretty good, the holiday inn express just south on 63 is the newest one and pretty nice for what it is and it's in a good area.  And there's some pretty good food to be had in town too.

Oh yeah, one more thing: if you're jonesing for something from Midway USA, you can visit the will call desk on your way through.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We had a member (I don’t recall his screen name) here that might argue Columbia MO is safe! He was in a life and death gunfight which resulted in him getting shot in his hand (he had reconstructive) surgery

As I recall he was in his Apartment when a guy burst in and ordered the 3? Occupants on the floor, a shootout ensued. I haven’t seen him post in quite awhile.
View Quote

That was Jefferson City
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#7]
If it were me, I'd stop somewhere a bit before or after Columbia. Probably Kingdom City, at the 70/54 intersection.

For anyone interested, the Jeff City shooting incident;

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/My-CCW-Shooting-AAR-Now-with-More-Graphic-Pics-on-pg-29-and-30/5-988015/
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If it were me, I'd stop somewhere a bit before or after Columbia. Probably Kingdom City, at the 70/54 intersection.

For anyone interested, the Jeff City shooting incident;

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/My-CCW-Shooting-AAR-Now-with-More-Graphic-Pics-on-pg-29-and-30/5-988015/
View Quote

Jesus...I don't remember that story...wow...great read...Thank you 67Firebird for saving that link ( I've noticed that about you...you are like a mini NSA collector ).
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:49:09 AM EDT
[#10]
You're welcome. I have some things subscribed, and even more bookmarked in Firefox.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 6:47:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously?

Columbia has dozens of really good restaurants. There's a happening downtown with bars and interesting shops. Art. Live music. A couple of small museums. It has everything a bigger community has to offer. Kingdom City is a couple of truck stops and a fleabag trucker hotel. Literally a wide spot in the road.

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We had a member (I don’t recall his screen name) here that might argue Columbia MO is safe! He was in a life and death gunfight which resulted in him getting shot in his hand (he had reconstructive) surgery

As I recall he was in his Apartment when a guy burst in and ordered the 3? Occupants on the floor, a shootout ensued. I haven’t seen him post in quite awhile.
View Quote

Unless we have two shootees in the HTF, Blitz got shot in the middle of JC.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Pre rona I was in Columbia almost every month. I've never had any issues.

I go to stl and kc too, stay out of the ghetto and it's all good for the most part.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

That was in downtown Jeff City

ETA-beaten to death

The Springhill Suites is pretty nice.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Seriously?

Columbia has dozens of really good restaurants. There's a happening downtown with bars and interesting shops. Art. Live music. A couple of small museums. It has everything a bigger community has to offer. Kingdom City is a couple of truck stops and a fleabag trucker hotel. Literally a wide spot in the road.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seriously?

I took his question as just looking for a place to eat and sleep, rather than as a place to do stuff, and you know me well enough to know that I avoid cities whenever possible.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Here in Hohumbia we have many fine things along with a City Counsel that likes to ignore the fact that we probably average a shooting a night.

That said, unless you are here to hang out with drug dealers, you should not see any firearm action.

New Drury near the 63 (cluster f*&#) is one of the nicer places to stay other than the hotel down town (pricey).
Stay away from the chains and you will find many great places to eat. Most of the students are gone right now so it should be rather tame in town now.

Steve
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I took his question as just looking for a place to eat and sleep, rather than as a place to do stuff, and you know me well enough to know that I avoid cities whenever possible.
View Quote

Right. Not many suitable dining options in Kingdom City, though
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Make hotel reservations early if stopping over a weekend.  Youth sports, Show Me Games, can fill up all available rooms.  Overflow can fill up nearby towns also.
Did the soccer coach thing for about ten years.  Pick the right weekend and catch some shooting events, not just for  kids.  Showed up for a kids game one Saturday morning wearing  a  bronze medal won the night before, pistol competition.  Set the expectations high for my players.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Just call Larry and tell him to put you up...
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 2:09:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here in Hohumbia we have many fine things along with a City Counsel that likes to ignore the fact that we probably average a shooting a night.

That said, unless you are here to hang out with drug dealers, you should not see any firearm action.

New Drury near the 63 (cluster f*&#) is one of the nicer places to stay other than the hotel down town (pricey).
Stay away from the chains and you will find many great places to eat. Most of the students are gone right now so it should be rather tame in town now.

Steve
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#21]
There are 3 Marriott's on the NE side of the 63/I-70 interchange, we stayed at the Residence Inn when we moved back; all of them should be fine.  Our first house was 2 miles from there and in 5 years we only saw police lights at the Steak and Shake.

Avoid the hotels North of I-70 to West of that area and you should be fine.  If you want trouble in Columbia you either have to be blind or you are looking for it.

The food in that corner is a little lacking; the Hooters is decent if you get there by 8pm (if later order to go) or go one exit to the East and stop at Las Margaritas.

Link Posted: 6/5/2021 12:13:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Motels sell out regularly so call ahead. The new drury is nice.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:03:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Columbia is college town.   Area where Marriott are are next to highway with all the assorted chain restaurants and other assorted interstate exit stuff.    I wouldn’t be worried.    Wentzville MO also has Marriott brand off I 70 with a lot of food choices and is safe aera.     It’s further east of Columbia towards stl but very safe place. I wouldn’t have issue staying in Columbia.    Just giving you other Marriott option on I70 as I assume you are loyalty member as I am.  

As others have said Columbia is college town so room availability can vary with what is happening at college and summer programs.   There are many freshmen orientation programs going on over the summer.  

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top