Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2018 3:58:07 PM EDT
Have we done this yet? The loons are trying to shut down Colorado's Oil & Gas industry...

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/07/10/colorado-oil-gas-ballot-initiative/

More than 4 of every 5 acres of non-federal land in Colorado would be off-limits to new oil and gas drilling if voters this fall approve a proposed ballot measure that aims to significantly widen the distance wells have to be from occupied buildings and water sources, according to an analysis released this month by state energy regulators.

The report, which doesn’t directly address the initiative’s potential economic impact, comes at the fever pitch of a yearslong dispute over how and where companies access mineral rights. Supporters call the industry an engine of economic growth, whereas critics point to the fading gap between extraction sites and fast-expanding neighborhoods.

Initiative 97 would establish the minimum setback of oil and gas wells to 2,500 feet — from the current 500 feet for homes and 1,000 feet for schools. Industry advocates warn that would decimate the state’s oil and gas sector, which was cited in a recent Colorado Petroleum Council study for having generated nearly 233,000 jobs in Colorado and contributed more than $31 billion to the state’s economy.

“A 2,500-foot setback would shut down Colorado’s oil and natural gas industry and lead to a massive layoff of over 100,000 local jobs,” Scott Prestidge, spokesman for the Colorado Oil and Gas Association, said Monday. “We hope Coloradans read before they sign any petition that would place this dangerous measure on the ballot.”

Backers of Initiative 97 are gathering signatures to put it on the November ballot. They need to submit to the Secretary of State’s Office just over 98,000 valid signatures from voters by Aug. 6.

“Toxic, industrial and dangerous activity like fracking doesn’t belong in our neighborhoods, near our kids’ schools or near our water supplies,” said Micah Parkin, who sits on the board of Colorado Rising, a fracking watchdog group promoting the measure. “These are really common-sense regulations.”

She cited the explosion last year that killed two men and destroyed a home in Firestone as just the most visible illustration of the danger of locating oil and gas operations close to neighborhoods. The incident was blamed on a leaky flowline from a well that hadn’t been capped properly.

In the eight months following that tragedy, there were at least a dozen explosions and fires associated with industry pipelines along the Front Range, a Denver Post investigation found.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:55:17 PM EDT
[#1]
That's will be abused at every turn.  Up in my little burb they're developing so many parcels of land for residential that they are now encroaching on the O&G activity, then complaining about it.  Don't want the well near the development?  Just build homes on the edges first and reference a state law/rule/ordinance they actually follow.  The O&G developers have very generous with my town in that they develop parks and the community center is as nice as it is because of the well that was on the property.  Now all of the boulder wannabes are trying to shut it all down.

ETA - the picture in the article is up near me.  we have people up here that swear that they can 'feel' them drilling at night  one resident in that neighborhood was blaming every sniffle and ache on 'fracking' (when they were still in the drilling process).  That well was no more of a nuisance than the TWO ACTIVE LANDFILLS right behind it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#2]
It's even worse than what was qouted above. In addition to wells, it includes pipelines. Also, buildings which require occupancy permits aren't just businesses, homes and schools. I'm at work, so read the text of 97 and check the requirements of your municipality for getting occupancy permits. You'll get the idea. The people behind 97 don't have good intentions.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

She cited the explosion last year that killed two men and destroyed a home in Firestone as just the most visible illustration of the danger of locating oil and gas operations close to neighborhoods. The incident was blamed on a leaky flowline from a well that hadn’t been capped properly.

View Quote
The Firestone explosion is an example of development encroaching on O&G activity.  There is no way that they set up a new drill operation less than 200 ft from the home and the cut line was five feet from the foundation.  This tells me the builder cut the line and didn't tell anyone.  Certainly a tragedy, but unless they want to shut down all existing wells within 2500 feet then the example of Firestone is nothing more than tugging at the feels.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Firestone explosion is an example of development encroaching on O&G activity.  There is no way that they set up a new drill operation less than 200 ft from the home and the cut line was five feet from the foundation.  This tells me the builder cut the line and didn't tell anyone.  Certainly a tragedy, but unless they want to shut down all existing wells within 2500 feet then the example of Firestone is nothing more than tugging at the feels.
View Quote
I did a quick search and didn't find anything specific about  the how the line was cut. However, the fact that it was cut 5' from the foundation and the builder was also included in the litigation leads me to believe that you're correct.

To me, it really doesn't have much to do with 97 other than the proponents are using it as part of their scare tactics.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Texas oil is gonna benefit big from this, wait and see.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I did a quick search and didn't find anything specific about  the how the line was cut. However, the fact that it was cut 5' from the foundation and the builder was also included in the litigation leads me to believe that you're correct.

To me, it really doesn't have much to do with 97 other than the proponents are using it as part of their scare tactics.
View Quote
I do think that the O&G operator should have done the pressure test while re-activating, but I don't think they should bear all of the fault and the proponents of 97 are being a bit fraudulent using Firestone as an example situation that would be fixed by their proposition.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Exactly
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#8]
It seems this may be a non-issue.  The deadline was Aug 6 for the petitions and I can't find a single story other than the dispute between Colorado Rising and the Oregon company that they hired to collect the signatures.  I'm sure it would be headlines had they made the deadline with the requisite signatures.

"It's another twist in the spat between Colorado Rising and Direct Action Partners that unfolded in the final weeks leading up to the Aug. 6 deadline for petitions. Colorado Rising faulted Direct Action Partners, which hired the signature gatherers as independent contractors, for holding ballots hostage when the company returned to Portland. Direct Action Partners maintained the signatures were kept because of unpaid work but eventually returned them to Colorado Rising."
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#9]
97 will also be a taking of rights as it will make the oil and gas inaccessible to at least a few owners. There should be compensation for these owners. 97 doesn't address this (what do you expect? It was authored by the Sierra Club). Of course, when I've challenged proponents on this, they claim that the minerals will still be accessible, just from further away.  They also say that since fracking and drilling violate others' rights (a platitude), that it's not a taking.  Watch the lawsuits pile-up if 97 passes.  Of course, I don't have much faith in today's courts following the law and otherwise, doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
97 will also be a taking of rights as it will make the oil and gas inaccessible to at least a few owners. There should be compensation for these owners. 97 doesn't address this (what do you expect? It was authored by the Sierra Club). Of course, when I've challenged proponents on this, they claim that the minerals will still be accessible, just from further away.  They also say that since fracking and drilling violate others' rights (a platitude), that it's not a taking.  Watch the lawsuits pile-up if 97 passes.  Of course, I don't have much faith in today's courts following the law and otherwise, doing the right thing.
View Quote
If the measure makes it onto the ballot and then passes they'll have a ready list of the 170,000 people from the petition signers to ask for more money since passage will cost the state billions.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If the measure makes it onto the ballot and then passes they'll have a ready list of the 170,000 people from the petition signers to ask for more money since passage will cost the state billions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They need to publish that list.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Let me tell you about drilling and fracking.  I have a house on 35 acres in Huerfano county.  All was fine until a company started drilling and fracking.  Soon after I and neighbors were having methane and arsenic in our well water.   Well houses exploded and people could lite a fire from their tap water.  They dumped the waste water fracking with high salinity in to an arroyo which the flowed into a river.  Several miles downstream farmers had their crops dying, fish in a lake were dying and a dairy farmers cows stopped giving milk.  He could no longer grow crops to feed them.  The oil company had to truck water in to residents for years.  The oil company  eventually pulled out and it was a battle to get them to cap the wells.
My vote will be yes on 97 with the rest of the "loons".
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Let me tell you about drilling and fracking.  I have a house on 35 acres in Huerfano county.  All was fine until a company started drilling and fracking.  Soon after I and neighbors were having methane and arsenic in our well water.   Well houses exploded and people could lite a fire from their tap water.  They dumped the waste water fracking with high salinity in to an arroyo which the flowed into a river.  Several miles downstream farmers had their crops dying, fish in a lake were dying and a dairy farmers cows stopped giving milk.  He could no longer grow crops to feed them.  The oil company had to truck water in to residents for years.  The oil company  eventually pulled out and it was a battle to get them to cap the wells.
View Quote
@RJK

I found this, but I'm not sure if it's directly related to your post.

https://www.epa.gov/hfstudy/retrospective-case-study-raton-basin-colorado

Could you provide us with some cites/links? Also, none of that stuff is happening in northern Colorado as far as I know. Did Huerfano get a really bad apple?

Regardless, 97 is so poorly written that even Polis is against it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:37:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

@RJK

I found this, but I'm not sure if it's directly related to your post.

https://www.epa.gov/hfstudy/retrospective-case-study-raton-basin-colorado

Could you provide us with some cites/links? Also, none of that stuff is happening in northern Colorado as far as I know. Did Huerfano get a really bad apple?

Regardless, 97 is so poorly written that even Polis is against it.
View Quote
Seems he may be referencing issues with Pioneer and Evergreen.  Evergreen went bankrupt and Pioneer claims that they didn't utilize TBA in their fracking fluid, but the presence of TBA in water wells seems to be the issue.  I haven't been able to find anything referencing releasing fracking fluid down an arroyo.  I do not believe any pro O&G voter would be in favor of the disposal of fracking fluid in that manner.  Perhaps that is why Evergreen is bankrupt now?

ETA, it seems to have happened in 2008
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:44:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 4:47:33 AM EDT
[#16]
@Dano523

I believe that's the faucet in the movie Gasland, correct? That's been debunked (see Frack Nation). I like the cartoon, too.

Again, the setback includes more than just wells. It includes pipelines. It's not just fracking wells. It's all wells. Not all wells are fracked. It's also a taking of mineral rights.  Did you read the text of the initiative? I did.

It's a bad initiative (it's not a bill).

If you're going to mention the destruction and towns ruined, then please provide citations and links. Rocky Flats is just like a drilling operation... but not really.

You think nuclear energy is bad? Really? This country has safe places to build plants and safe places to put the waste. It's not the 1970s anymore. That's a separate topic. Go start another thread about it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 5:28:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
@Dano523

I believe that's the faucet in the movie Gasland, correct? That's been debunked (see Frack Nation). I like the cartoon, too.

Again, the setback includes more than just wells. It includes pipelines. It's not just fracking wells. It's all wells. Not all wells are fracked. It's also a taking of mineral rights.  Did you read the text of the initiative? I did.

It's a bad initiative (it's not a bill).

If you're going to mention the destruction and towns ruined, then please provide citations and links. Rocky Flats is just like a drilling operation... but not really.

You think nuclear energy is bad? Really? This country has safe places to build plants and safe places to put the waste. It's not the 1970s anymore. That's a separate topic. Go start another thread about it.
View Quote
Typical NIMBY. This is the kind of mentality that drove manufacturing offshore. You should only have power when the sun is shining or the wind is blowing. They think the world runs off unicorn farts.

They'll be bitching when gasoline is $5 a gallon too. Someone should make a law...
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 5:40:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Typical NIMBY. This is the kind of mentality that drove manufacturing offshore. You should only have power when the sun is shining or the wind is blowing. They think the world runs off unicorn farts.

They'll be bitching when gasoline is $5 a gallon too. Someone should make a law...
View Quote
I wonder if Dano was trolling us.  Then again, plenty of people thought that Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from her house.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#19]
The company drilling/fracking in Huerfano County was Petroglyph.  My son has 82 acres  approx 50 miles northeast of Greeley.  A company drilled on his property against his will and he couldn't stop them.  The well is about 100 yards from his house.  They gave him $5,000 to compensate for the inconvenience.  His well began to produce water that had coal dust in it.  He had to have a new well drilled and the cost negated the 5K.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The company drilling/fracking in Huerfano County was Petroglyph.  My son has 82 acres  approx 50 miles northeast of Greeley.  A company drilled on his property against his will and he couldn't stop them.  The well is about 100 yards from his house.  They gave him $5,000 to compensate for the inconvenience.  His well began to produce water that had coal dust in it.  He had to have a new well drilled and the cost negated the 5K.
View Quote
Just because he owns (rents from the state) property doesn't necessarily means he owns the minerals rights.

Solution: buy the mineral rights for your property when you build your home and/or dont sell them in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I worked in the O&G industry in 2008. I find your claims hard to believe. The amount of environmental protections we had to adhere to are immense. And if you know anything about drilling and fracking, the production zones for wells are far, far below the water table.
As far as lighting a fire from your tap water, isn't that mostly false also?

Was this activity in the 1970s?

The industry has come a long, long way since then. They also didn't "frac" back then.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hence before you just on the band wagon for oil companies to make a quick buck, remember that we are the ones that have to live here after they screw up and leave  areas uninhabitable, or at least into another reserve area like rocky flats arsenal.

At least the world does learn after a while from it mistakes that happen over and over again, and now phasing out nuclear power plants.
View Quote
Your fracking diagram is laughably inaccurate.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Your fracking diagram is laughably inaccurate.
View Quote
That's why I told him it was a cartoon.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 2:28:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I'll never get how so many people that point to the science of things like global warming can ignore the science of fracing. It's all science, science, science until science says fracing can't hurt the water table and there has been firewater for hundreds of years...
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, hell.  Seems it will be on the ballot.

economy and budget busting initiative on ballot

I guess we can expect a lot of money flowing in from out of state sources to back an initiative that doesn't impact them.  We should start an initiative to build a wind farm in the Hamptons.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:41:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Seems the pro-112 group is getting an assist from Nextdoor.com.  Any 'Vote No on 112' thread is deleted, but the 'Vote Yes' and 'Ban Fracking' posts get lots of life.  Lots of 'common sense regulation' and 'it's not a ban' posts too.  It is certainly seems to be growing legs in Broomfield/Westminster/Erie when the opposition is silenced.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 1:04:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Seems the pro-112 group is getting an assist from Nextdoor.com.  Any 'Vote No on 112' thread is deleted, but the 'Vote Yes' and 'Ban Fracking' posts get lots of life.  Lots of 'common sense regulation' and 'it's not a ban' posts too.  It is certainly seems to be growing legs in Broomfield/Westminster/Erie when the opposition is silenced.
View Quote
I've seen the Broomfield Busy-body Brigade posts.

I wish that they would keep their BS off that site. I'd rather read about people helping each other find lost pets.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#30]
So all those in favor of reducing our domestic production of oil and nat gas, are you also in favor of sending our sons and daughters to the Middle East to protect our oil interests there?
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Won't affect me.  They already fracked the crap out of my area and made the ground water undrinkable.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Polls showing 52% voting YES. I havent seen data that the 800 polled are representative of colorado as a whole however.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Not sure what sources the Pro 112 guys are relying on, but I'd like to see them.  I've been involved with oil and gas in CO and OK on various levels and I've seen little to no credible evidence that fracking has had negative effects on ground water.  If the well does go through and aquifer, there are multiple levels of steel casing and concrete that insulates the aquifer from anything that goes down or up the well bore.  Also, fracking does not fracture and release gas or oil thousands of feet away from the well bore.  Generally, the fractures only radiate a few hundred feet or less away from the well bore.  The horizontal bores that get fracked are below the aquifers.

What is often lumped in with fracking, but isn't part of fracking is deep water well injections.  These wells, if done quick and dirty, can cause problems with aquifers and cause earthquakes - but they are not part of the fracking process.  Groups attempting to demonize fracking often cite issues with deep water well injections.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Problem with testing standards for the Hydraulic Fracturing Research Advisory Panel (part of EPA), is there is only a specific group of chemicals on the list that is required to be checked for, and listed results if they are found only.

If other chemical are found, even in alarming rates, they are excluded from the test reports.  Hence why bush admiistaton's EPA exempted fracking from the Safe Drinking Water Act in the first place.

Hell, its the same thing with asbestos guide lines of the old, being that the goverment set standard for companies to follow that produced products from it, but once the entire picture of what was happening was found, was way too late when the Government changed is standards instead (cost of human lives, and leaving companies on the hook that followed the government guild lines at that time).

Simply put, quick money to be made by fracking short term by both the oil companies and even the goverment, but long term effects have been proven that it makes the fracked  areas "unsuitable" afterwards instead.

Denver already has areas like the closed rocky flats, and a few other areas that are total nightmares long term within populated areas already, and now with new fracking long term effects not contained to unpopulated areas, will just be adding new problem areas to already populated areas as well.

Simply put, prop 112 is that if you want to desolate an area from fracking long term outcomes for a quick money gain, so be it since the land can just be written off as unusable in the end, but this keeps such from already populated areas to begin with instead.
View Quote
Lot of hyperbole in your post.  Do you have any support?  Fracking has been around since the late 50's and studies have yet to show any kind of long term deleterious effects, let alone "unsuitable".

Economic returns from fracking vary by reservoir and saying "short term" ignores this fact.  Fracked wells in the Niobrara-DJ have an optimal life of over 12 years.  In Oklahoma, fracked wells have been producing for 30 years plus.

BTW, it's not just the oil companies and the government that benefit.  Mineral owners have become very wealthy off the back of the oil and gas companies.  Even when the well is drilled on federal land, the county in which the well sits gets a royalty payment, so the benefit trickles down to schools, infrastructure, etc.

Many democrats have come out against 112.  Why? Its because they see the mistake that it would be.  All 112 does is take away the property rights of the mineral owners w/o compensation, which is ironic b/c that's what prop 74 is all about preventing.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hence if fracking was so safe, then why is exempt from so many Federal  Acts.
https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/files/policy-basics-fracking-FS.pdf
View Quote
Given the you can always find an activist lawyer/judge to pursue any legal action I would think that the exemption is cover from suffering through lawsuit after lawsuit thrown out there by the anti groups.  They passed an odor ordinance in Erie that immediately went to court.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top