Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2020 2:38:30 PM EDT
I've been tracking Covid cases and deaths for 2 months now, and I've come to realize that the data is terrible and very few conclusions and be drawn from it.

Further complicating matters, the state just revised their "Death" numbers down by about 20%

https://krdo.com/news/top-stories/2020/05/15/colorados-state-health-dept-revises-method-of-counting-covid-19-deaths-878-deaths-as-of-friday/

So now all my tracking data is mostly meaningless.  I was hoping to observe a trend that would have meaning. All I saw was a non-curve curve of ~20 covid deaths per day. There was no explosion.

State has been shut down for 2 months. Hundreds of millions of dollars lost.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard that the other day.  They are now trying to differentiate 'died with Covid' from 'died from complications caused by Covid'.  The numbers examination seemed to start with that Dr that asked why his guy that died from alcohol poisoning (.55) who happened to have Covid was listed as a Covid death.

ETA - story here.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I've heard first hand reports that hospitals were classifying non-covid positive deaths as covid deaths as well.

Gonna be interesting to see how the final numbers turn out.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#3]
CDPHE sucks.  They are reporting numbers daily, but also going back up to 10 days or so and reviving those numbers upwards, in many cases.  So, you think we are on a nice downward trend, then you realize they just haven't put in the data yet.  

Probably some dude sitting at his desk with a stack of cases, but he goes home at 4 pm instead of inputting the data!

You can't use the data if it's bad data.  Accuracy and timeliness should be a high priority.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I was listening to this last weekend on George Brauchler's radio show and he was talking about this.  He's the DA for the 18th district in Colorado (Arapahoe, Douglas, Elbert and Lincoln counties).  They came across several deaths reported as being caused by the virus, but the deaths were really caused by something else. The person just happened to be diagnosed with it.  Brauchler was saying something that this kind of misreporting is criminal and they notified the state or something.  The result was a more than 20% drop in virus caused deaths.

One death in particular was talked about.  A guy was diagnosed, but he drank himself to death. He had a .55 B/A level.  His  death was recorded as a virus death.
waltg put the article in his post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top