Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2020 6:02:10 PM EDT
I live in the Springs and shoot at the Cheyenne Mountain Shooting Complex for most of my range needs.

However, range rules dictate not authorized to have anything forward of the firing line at CMSC but need somewhere to shoot over my chronograph to confirm some reloads.

Can anyone recommend somewhere where I could walk in and shoot safely?

I’ve read the pikes peak guidelines for target shooting in the National Forest but it seems unclear.

Most appreciated,
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You can shoot on NF. There are a few restricted areas but still thousands and thousands of acres to shoot on. A longer range with a nice backstop can be tough to find though.

For something closer check with Dragonman’s about using a chrono. From what I hear they have pretty laxed rules.

Magnum might allow chronos and it’s indoor.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I would expect one would need to do a bit of research to find the right spot in the NF.

Not looking to shoot far just 100yards to confirm some loads.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
We used to shoot in the National Forest up gold camp road.  People still do that?

Check this map

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd490253.pdf
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would expect one would need to do a bit of research to find the right spot in the NF.

Not looking to shoot far just 100yards to confirm some loads.
View Quote
Are you usually off weekends? I've got a MagnetoSpeed V3 (and I live in COS) that will likely work if you're trying to get a rifle velocity figured out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a labradar.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a labradar.
View Quote
A Magnetospeed mounts to the rifle barrel so it needs nothing forward of the firing line. Mine seems pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I went labradar vs magnetospeed due to POA/POI issues with the bayonet mounting system.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Mount it, get your velocity and then remove it. POA / POI can be dealt with after it is removed.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#9]
If you look hard enough, the usfs website of your local forest has maps of shooting restricted areas and other things. Just go far enough, explore the area, and pick a good spot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top