Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2021 11:26:15 PM EDT
When elections roll around, note the "for" freedom-types and the "against" handwringers.

BY RACHEL SPACEK OCTOBER 14, 2021 11:42 AM

The city of Eagle now allows shooting within city limits on parcels of land 20 acres or larger, as long as people can shoot safely.
You can now discharge a firearm on 20 acres or more within Eagle city limits. The Eagle City Council passed an amendment to city law to allow shooting in city limits on 20-acre or larger parcels as long as does not endanger people or property. Eagle Mayor Jason Pierce said he feels for farmers and other people who have had their 20-plus acre property annexed into the city who have not been able to hunt or shoot on it.

The ordinance also mentions the Bureau of Land Management land that was annexed into the city of Eagle. In recent years the area has proved problematic for some area residents when it comes to shooting. The Bureau of Land Management allows shooting on its federal lands, but because the area was annexed into Eagle, shooting was illegal. That will change with this amendment.

The three council members and Pierce supported the ordinance during a City Council meeting Tuesday night. Councilman Charlie Baun opposed it. He worried about the 20-acre minimum and having no limits on what gun people can shoot with. "I think we run into major safety issues," Baun said. "If we do 20 acres ... then we get into individuals going, 'I think I can shoot a rifle safely.' My biggest concern is individuals and what is deemed safe and what isn't." For example, Baun said, a bullet from a high-powered rifle can travel two and a half or three miles. "Now, if you shoot, the police will be there," Baun said. "With this we have, 'well was it over 20 acres?' What happens if someone shoots a rifle within city limits because they thought it was safe and it wasn't?" Baun asked if the council could limit shooting to just shotguns, whose pellets don't travel as far. Baun said a shotgun can be shot safely at 300 yards. 4A, 5A shake-up Area high school teams on the move in latest classifications READ MORE Councilors Kenny Pittman, Brad Pike and Melissa Gindlesperger said they did not feel comfortable restricting what people can shoot in the city. "It seems like a slippery slope to get into what you can and cannot shoot with," Gindlesperger said. Pierce defended gun owners, saying "most... are really responsible in what they do." He said he would like the city to host an awareness campaign about gun safety. "You have to do it safely, and if you hurt someone, you are responsible for it," Pierce said. The council passed the ordinance amendment in a 3-1 vote, with Baun the sole dissenting vote. The city must publish a legal notice about the amendment in the Idaho Statesman before it takes effect. Ellen Mattila, Eagle spokesperson, said the city expects the notice to run next week, and the amendment will take effect after that.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/community/west-ada/article254987667.html#storylink=cpy

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Time to move to Eagle. But first need to find 20 acres for cheap…
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Time to move to Eagle. But first need to find 20 acres for cheap…
View Quote

Let us know how that goes.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Eagle, where we believe even our horse's shit doesn't stink.

Still, good on them.  Fudds are gonna be triggered  
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Let us know how that goes.
View Quote

It’s a joke hence the emoji.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you watch the raw video of the council, there's an interesting exchange: One of them was worrying about how to limit people's freedom, and voting to come up with arbitrary restrictions. The other one brought up "In Star, there's _zero_ laws. You can shoot a 9mm in your 1/4 acre backyard, as long as you're safe. And we don't have problems there. So why not trust Eagle residents to be responsible?"

Eagle City Council meeting skip to 2:23:14https://eagle-id.granicus.com/player/clip/1416

Personally, I'm more excited about the BLM land north of Beacon Light & west of Eagle Rd turns into Willow Creek opening up for shooting. People go up there past the McMansions / horse property and shoot anyway, but now it'll be legal. This is the 2,200 or so acres that was M3 Investments land that never got built into another Hidden Springs Megaplex when real estate crashed in 2008.

(See: Idaho Press "BLM Land Eagle Gray Area For Shooters" )

I may or may not have used to do some silencer testing up there, but always quickly setting up a sound meter and taking a dozen shots on the downlow. Looking forward to not being covert and edgy about it in the very near future! So much closer to me than the Emmett range or having to go down past the airport.

View Quote

There's BLM land to the west of 55 just south of firebird you can drive into as well. I didn't realize it was illegal to ahoot there in Eagle. So far I'm a pretty big fan of my mayor.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#8]
That makes so much sense it is almost scary.

I know the gun range in Emmett is almost impossible to join unless you live in Gem county.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Boise City should step up and put another in down south.
View Quote

LOL

With a mayor who wants to turn Boise into Portland?
Good luck with that!

The Blacks Creek range is nice.
However, the very limited hours make it absolutely worthless.

You are right about south of the power lines.... don't bother going on the weekends...total shitshow.

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

LOL

With a mayor who wants to turn Boise into Portland?
Good luck with that!

The Blacks Creek range is nice.
However, the very limited hours make it absolutely worthless.

You are right about south of the power lines.... don't bother going on the weekends...total shitshow.

View Quote

That land down south isn’t Boise’s to begin with. It’s all county/state/federal land.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, I've got a relative I could get on with Emmett range, but it's a pain, supposedly would have to go with him every time I want to shoot. I'm sure no one enforces that, but...

20 years ago, back when no one much lived here, I always appreciated just being able to plink in the middle of nowhere. (The old Ada dump/glider field range, what became the Avimor area, BLM foothills, etc.) But with the huge population growth, there's simply not going to be places to shoot at all unless projects like this happen. Best that cities nail down good, safe facilities before it becomes not-in-somebody's-backyard and/or transplant Antis vote to squash anything gun-related because it's icky. I'm all for getting this stuff approved and built while we can.

The fact that it's in my backyard is just icing on the cake.

It's almost the same 1-hour distance for me (Eagle) to drive to any of the outdoor ranges in the area.
 • South of the airport/prison area (Free, but scary, 360° directional shooting/accidents waiting to
   happen, miles of bumpy dirt roads to get there.)
 • The small but nice, covered Garden Valley range near Crouch. (Free, right off the highway.)
 • Nampa's GN (Free.)
 • Black's Creek ($.)
 • Parma (Private, $.)
 • Kuna (Private, $.)

Pretty much any of these require a two-hour round trip commitment to go do some shooting, which is a pain. The Treasure Valley area needs a good, professional-class facility for classes, distance shooting, shotgun, etc. So I'm glad to see good ol' Eagle leading the charge. Boise City should step up and put another in down south.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That makes so much sense it is almost scary.
I know the gun range in Emmett is almost impossible to join unless you live in Gem county.

Yeah, I've got a relative I could get on with Emmett range, but it's a pain, supposedly would have to go with him every time I want to shoot. I'm sure no one enforces that, but...

20 years ago, back when no one much lived here, I always appreciated just being able to plink in the middle of nowhere. (The old Ada dump/glider field range, what became the Avimor area, BLM foothills, etc.) But with the huge population growth, there's simply not going to be places to shoot at all unless projects like this happen. Best that cities nail down good, safe facilities before it becomes not-in-somebody's-backyard and/or transplant Antis vote to squash anything gun-related because it's icky. I'm all for getting this stuff approved and built while we can.

The fact that it's in my backyard is just icing on the cake.

It's almost the same 1-hour distance for me (Eagle) to drive to any of the outdoor ranges in the area.
 • South of the airport/prison area (Free, but scary, 360° directional shooting/accidents waiting to
   happen, miles of bumpy dirt roads to get there.)
 • The small but nice, covered Garden Valley range near Crouch. (Free, right off the highway.)
 • Nampa's GN (Free.)
 • Black's Creek ($.)
 • Parma (Private, $.)
 • Kuna (Private, $.)

Pretty much any of these require a two-hour round trip commitment to go do some shooting, which is a pain. The Treasure Valley area needs a good, professional-class facility for classes, distance shooting, shotgun, etc. So I'm glad to see good ol' Eagle leading the charge. Boise City should step up and put another in down south.

I have been a member out at Parma, let that lapse, I need to reup.  

I have shot out between Middleton and Emmett.  It has just gotten too nuts for my taste.  If the weather is crappy it is okay, otherwise a complete shitshow.

Having said that, Parma is really, really nice.  I have shot at quite a few different private ranges and it is the nicest.

It would be awesome to have something similar out by Eagle.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Was this approved?

ETA on build completion if so?

As an Eagle resident I am happy to see it!

For those who think they can find 20 acres for "cheap" in Eagle.... LOL!

Quoted:
As a follow-up on this:

City of Eagle just posted that they are going to develop an honest-to-God shooting range in the formerly-restricted BLM land area north of the downtown. "Preliminary concept was a 1200 to 1500 yard range with various component for small arms and shotguns."

If you're in favor of such a shooting park, they're having an open house to discuss plans and take public opinions. So far all I've seen is positive feedback, so it'll be interesting to see if there's any anti opinion that will show up at the City Hall meet.

I guess I'll wander by, hear their finalized, formal plan, and (assumedly) show support. From what I've talked to the Mayor and some other folks involved with the plan, it sounds good. It'll be nice to have an actual formalized/legal range with a backstop, safety lanes, target stands, etc.

Open House: Eagle Shooting Sports Park March 9, 2022

Open House: Eagle Shooting Sports Park

Wednesday, March 9, 2022

After completion of the Bureau of Land Management Foothills Recreation Plan, the City will be hosting an open house to receive community input on the development of a City of Eagle Shooting Sports Park in the Eagle Foothills. The Public Open House will be held March 9, 2022 from 5:30 to 7:00pm at Eagle City Hall, 660 E. Civic Lane, Eagle, ID 83616.

EDIT to add pic of one of the two proposed range plans:
https://i.imgur.com/uU09ui8.png
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Was this approved?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Was this approved?

Quoted:
As a follow-up on this:

City of Eagle just posted that they are going to develop an honest-to-God shooting range in the formerly-restricted BLM land area north of the downtown. "Preliminary concept was a 1200 to 1500 yard range with various component for small arms and shotguns."

If you're in favor of such a shooting park, they're having an open house to discuss plans and take public opinions. So far all I've seen is positive feedback, so it'll be interesting to see if there's any anti opinion that will show up at the City Hall meet.

I guess I'll wander by, hear their finalized, formal plan, and (assumedly) show support. From what I've talked to the Mayor and some other folks involved with the plan, it sounds good. It'll be nice to have an actual formalized/legal range with a backstop, safety lanes, target stands, etc.

Open House: Eagle Shooting Sports Park March 9, 2022

Open House: Eagle Shooting Sports Park

Wednesday, March 9, 2022

After completion of the Bureau of Land Management Foothills Recreation Plan, the City will be hosting an open house to receive community input on the development of a City of Eagle Shooting Sports Park in the Eagle Foothills. The Public Open House will be held March 9, 2022 from 5:30 to 7:00pm at Eagle City Hall, 660 E. Civic Lane, Eagle, ID 83616.

EDIT to add pic of one of the two proposed range plans:
https://i.imgur.com/uU09ui8.png

The proposal was modified after compaints by people who livdd nearby. So it was moved. Max length is only like 150 yards
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The proposal was modified after compaints by people who livdd nearby. So it was moved. Max length is only like 150 yards
View Quote

Still better then nothing.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 2:55:54 AM EDT
[#17]
It definitely made it onto nextdoor where a lot of Karens were stating things like "I own guns and shoot, but...." and it was probably closer to 50/50 in favor.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The updated plan still makes for a very nice looking range. Eagle's a small city, creatively snagging budget without taxing folks much at all... and in a couple years, this whole area for miles north will be near-impossible to find a square inch of un-encroached land to make a range, much less find public consensus and approval to do so.

Nailing this down now, whatever we can get, is awesome. I think in the end, this range will be a little like Emmett's range: mostly for local residents, smallish/private feel, but way more modern, safe, and staffed. I can live with that.

But for this summer, I'm just stoked I can now legally shoot on the BLM land just north of Floating Feather/Linder area without looking over my shoulder to see if someone has a problem with it. I only shoot suppressed, so shouldn't bother anyone much, and it's great to not have to drive an hour to one of the other ranges around.

Edit to add: Definitely looks like someone got the word out to oppose it. There was probably a 85%+ "pro" show of hands at the meeting. Looking at the data, you'll notice the split against gets much larger when people outside Eagle chimed in. Which is weird, because – what does someone care, say, as a East Boise resident, what Eagle builds or not? Unless they don't like guns in general. I suppose there could be some unincorporated, Emmett, Star, etc. residents affected by this, but not many.

In the end, it looks like the majority of opposition came from horse enthusiasts, with a lot of comments like "Leave this area only for ME to ride horse trails" ...which of course, is typical, but unfortunate NIMBY: "Let's fund and make allowances for what I like, but not what they like." Shrug. You can't make everyone happy when you're at odds with limited resources. I'd like a range. You'd like a horse trail. No one asked me if I wanted four hundred noisy soccer playing kids just down my hill waking me up every Saturday early a.m. when they used lots of tax dollars to build Guerber Park. Everything impacts someone.

City of Eagle Public Survey Results, Shooting Sports Park
https://www.cityofeagle.org/1943/Eagle-Foothills-Shooting-Sports-Park

Should the City move forward to develop the park?
836 Responses:
490 Support 59%
346 Oppose 41%

Within 83616:
340 Support 60%
223 Oppose 40%

Outside 83616:
151 Support 55%
123 Oppose 45%
View Quote
Oh course people have to chime in on something irrelevant to them. Morons. I live in NW Boise and would actually use this range myself.  I’m a stones throw away from Eagle. Drove out past the prison yesterday, kills half the day.
Quoted:
It definitely made it onto nextdoor where a lot of Karens were stating things like "I own guns and shoot, but...." and it was probably closer to 50/50 in favor.
View Quote
And it never enters their brain if we don’t build it, people will just being shooting wherever on the BLM land. Idiots.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top