Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2022 8:27:32 AM EDT
Taking the family (kids 10 and 8) for two days to Chatanooga at the end of July. We are doing Lookout Mountain and Ruby Falls. Does anyone have other recommendations for sites to see with the kids? I appreciate any thoughts.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#3]
My kids (10 and 7-will be 8 on Friday) LOVE the Creative Discovery Museum and the TN Valley Railroad Museum. The Missionary Ridge Local train ride takes an hour, going over to GA, where they turn the train around on a turntable while they show you the workshops. If the combination passenger/baggage car is being used, ride it. You can ride in the baggage compartment and feel the wind on your face.

The TN Aquarium is also nice and there is a Medal of Honor museum located next to it.

The Chickamauga Battlefield is close by, as well.

I've taken the riverboat cruise a couple times, but the kids haven't been on it. It's pretty fun. I'd skip the extra cost of the lunch aboard ship. It's just a few cold cuts and not worth the upcharge. I had it the first time and won't pay extra for it again.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Unfortunately, The River Gorge Explorer is gone.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got back from hitting the Ocoee again, definitely recommend it but I think rafters have to be at least 12yrs old/90lbs with the weight being more important.  
If you want to hit it Trey at AU is a great guide, he knows his stuff and put us in more of the fun than all the other rafts.

Also cool in that area is Chilhowee in the Cherokee National Park - Benton Falls hike is easy with a beautiful waterfall and the little McKamey lake there is clean and a great place to cool off.

+1 for the aquarium, incline, Ruby Falls, and Lost Sea (haven't been there since the '80s as a scout).

I always take my kids by Julie Darling for donuts when we visit JD website
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:47:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Lookout Mountain Flight Park.  If the winds are right you can watch the hang gliders and para gliders take off from the mountain top.  If you guys are adventurous you can get tandem hang glider rides.  I took 3 of my kids and we all went hang gliding.  It’s a blast!
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Depending what your kids are into, there's an exhibit of fantasy art (Dungeons and Dragons type stuff) at the Hunter Gallery through October.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top