Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2018 5:59:51 PM EDT
Hey gents-

My chainsaw cracked a fuel line.  I tried to fix it myself, but it’s beyond my ability to do it.  Has anyone got a recommendation for a small engine repair shop that can do this?  I’m in Essex County.

There are like 3 people in this area I’ve found.

The first took it home and said it was a bad leaky carb.  Well, I ordered the carb and was going to put it together, so I took it apart.  The carb is fine; there was an obvious leak in the fuel line.  So that guy doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about.

The second guy I took it to said “I just stopped working on two stroke stuff.  Too much of a pain in the ass.  I’ll fix your lawnmower...”. Thanks, asshole.

The last guy actually has a shop.  Took it to him a few weeks ago and he said “it’ll be December; time too backed up.”  And then I just heard that he’s going it of business.

This whole area is impossible to get anything done in.  Has anyone got a recommendation st all?  Plattsburgh?  Burlington?  Anywhere?  I just need the damn thing done quickly, like a day or two.  I’ve got lots of stuff down on my property with these wind storms we’ve been having and I have to get this done before I go back to FL.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Make of saw?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make of saw?
View Quote
Craftsman
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Parkside in Wilmington. They are a stihl dealer. They might help. Depending on where you are in Essex county if you aren't too far from Plattsburgh Taylor rental is a husky dealer and Dame's rental might be able to fix it also.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:38:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Peru Farm Center maybe?  
Sample's Lawn and Garden in Chazy has always been good to me as far as parts go.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I understand your predicament, but you'd be farther ahead by just buying a new Saw.
Carbs go bad. Even when they look ok,  passages plug, diaphragms get pin-holes, and the Ethanol Fuel bad ju-ju  for older fuel components (lines, gaskets, diaphragms, etc.) Anymore, we don't dick with them, we install new and things generally go back to working as designed. Now that said, for lesser expensive machines the question becomes "Is it worth it?"  
The cost a little bit more, but Professionals, Govt. and Municipalities are all heavy users of Stihl for a reason.
If you have the hose, and new Carb then clean everything to the best you can, and disassemble it, replace the parts and give it a try....the knuckle heads that do this for a living do so because its easy, not because they're smart.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I understand your predicament, but you'd be farther ahead by just buying a new Saw.
Carbs go bad. Even when they look ok,  passages plug, diaphragms get pin-holes, and the Ethanol Fuel bad ju-ju  for older fuel components (lines, gaskets, diaphragms, etc.) Anymore, we don't dick with them, we install new and things generally go back to working as designed. Now that said, for lesser expensive machines the question becomes "Is it worth it?"  
The cost a little bit more, but Professionals, Govt. and Municipalities are all heavy users of Stihl for a reason.
If you have the hose, and new Carb then clean everything to the best you can, and disassemble it, replace the parts and give it a try....the knuckle heads that do this for a living do so because its easy, not because they're smart.
View Quote
Yeah the only reason I’m trying is because the saw sat in the brand new box unused for like 10 years before I cracked it open last year and used it. Worked great.  Then the fuel line cracked over this last winter and it barely worked this summer.

So the saw has like 10 hours on it max.  I took it apart and got the fuel line out of it, but can’t get a replacement line though this tiny little hole that connects it from the top end of the saw and the gas tank.  It’s virtually inaccessible, and by design is supposed to be a tight fit.  I thought about taping the line, but I thought that would be a really dumb idea, so I yanked it out and have tried to replace it.  No luck.

I’ll be honest, I want a Stihl.  But I thought it’s worth it to try and save this one given its condition and the fact that a decent Stihl with an 18 inch bar is going to run me $400-500.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#7]
fish a length of mechanics wire through the "tiny hole" and wrap the tubing, lube it with something like WD-40 and pull it through.
I get it, and absolutely understand what a pain in the ass it is...I was given a 4 cycle Troy Built Weed-Wacker and had to replace the carb and fuel lines (thanks to the fucktards that mandated ETOH in Gasoline ) and while difficult, it was doable.  Where I work we have a Small Engine Shop and this time of year we get in hundreds of pieces and have found over the years its easier, and much more effective to just replace the bad parts up to a predetermined expenditure limit than spend time dicking around with rebuilding them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Very very important with all these two cycles..

Let them run dry (run them out of gas) after it dies put the choke on and run it until it dies do this several times. Do this every time you using them period.  If your not going to use the remaining gas with in 3 weeks dump into your car and get rid of it.. With the new fuel they don't very well with them.. If you can find a station that has non ethanol even better but depending on where you live it can be hard  to find..

Down here they are all over due the amount of Boats since I'm close to the ocean.

The carbs on chainsaws were always a pia.. if you do the both chances have issues drop a lot.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Smiths in glens falls, I buy there and have little service needs but other people say they’re good.   Call and make sure they work on that saw before you drive.

Skip the saw business in Warrensburg.  I have heard nothing positive there.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:53:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Let them run dry (run them out of gas) after it dies put the choke on and run it until it dies do this several times. Do this every time you using them period.  If your not going to use the remaining gas with in 3 weeks dump into your car and get rid of it.. With the new fuel they don't very well with them.. If you can find a station that has non ethanol even better but depending on where you live it can be hard  to find..

Down here they are all over due the amount of Boats since I'm close to the ocean.

The carbs on chainsaws were always a pia.. if you do the both chances have issues drop a lot.
View Quote
If the pump you buy Ethanol-Free fuel from doesn't have a dedicated line (pump handle) then pump a gallon or more into your vehicle before filling your gas can.  I don't know exactly how much fuel there is in the Pump's line between the switching valve and where it come out, but I'll bet that if you're only filling a one gallon jug, that at least half (probably more) is whatever was dispensed last...you've got 10' of 3/4" hose and I don't want to do the math.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Down here they are totally separate pumps that just pump mid grade gas that’s non ethonal.  So no way to worry about mixing both
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:48:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If the pump you buy Ethanol-Free fuel from doesn't have a dedicated line (pump handle) then pump a gallon or more into your vehicle before filling your gas can.  I don't know exactly how much fuel there is in the Pump's line between the switching valve and where it come out, but I'll bet that if you're only filling a one gallon jug, that at least half (probably more) is whatever was dispensed last...you've got 10' of 3/4" hose and I don't want to do the math.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ugh.  You know I often do forget that detail when filling my 50:1 gallon cans with premium non ethanol.   I wonder if even got to the non ethanol fuel.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ugh.  You know I often do forget that detail when filling my 50:1 gallon cans with premium non ethanol.   I wonder if even got to the non ethanol fuel.
View Quote
I'm surprised that someone hasn't filed a class action suit against multiple companies for such:  If you go to the Store and buy a gallon of Whole Milk you expect it to be such, not half of it 2%

Even being vigilant doesn't always get the job done.... had to put another new carb on the snow thrower.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm surprised that someone hasn't filed a class action suit against multiple companies for such:  If you go to the Store and buy a gallon of Whole Milk you expect it to be such, not half of it 2%

Even being vigilant doesn't always get the job done.... had to put another new carb on the snow thrower.  
View Quote
I spoke to an old guy who is now gone.   He said quite often you would get whatever was on the truck on a delivery.  Especially so on government contracts.  You might get regular dumped in the super underground tank.  I suppose it might be about the same on non corn crap orders.

ETA.  All my small engine and 50:1 mix gets premium no ethanol.  At least by label.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Falls farm and garden in Hundson Falls/Kingsbury. Good shop. For chainsaw use, I only run the  ethanol free fuel from Stewart’s shops, and of that isn’t available I’ll visit a Walmart or tractor supply store and purchased a 1 gallon can of premixed ethanol free fuel for $19.  Great stuff, with too notch reviews
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top