Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/16/2022 9:33:38 AM EDT
So the Wife unit wanted to go see a chad Prather event and hear him give a talk. Yesterday we loaded Boxerdog up and blasted off to Longview for lunch, a new pool pump and then on to the Prather deal. It started on time. The program said he'd speak last and we settled in with not a packed house but it was full. The first speaker was some ditzy tattooed blonde gal that said "um" at least 800 times. Next was a "social influencer" lady that talked about "patriot boys" and their actions around the state/country. After that was a guy that was introduced as a "gay" comedian that launched his speech using cuss words. The "moderator" couldn't manage to hold the microphone close enough to his mouth so we didn't hear much of what he said.We heard ZERO solutions or proposals,,just a lot of complaining and bitching.  At the one hour and twenty two minute mark the Wife started putting her coat on and I got up and took her to the car and we took off on the way home. Never heard Prather speak. No need too. He's hitched his wagon to some really dumb mules. On to see Don Huffines next week. I don't expect fireworks from him either but we're retied and have the time to TRY and hear something with purpose.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot of effort for a big dud event. Thanks for reporting on it, though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the report. I haven’t seen anything to incline me toward doing anything but voting for Abbott in the primary, even though I’m still sore about the early reactions to the “virus”.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the report. I haven’t seen anything to incline me toward doing anything but voting for Abbott in the primary, even though I’m still sore about the early reactions to the “virus”.
View Quote

When people bitch about Abbott slightly shutting down Texas, no one knew how bad Covid was going to be. We were lucky it wasn’t as bad as the ‘experts’ said it was going to be. Abbott at least had points that he reviewed his ‘shut down’ and pretty quickly reopened the state. Now the same people bitching about Abbott ‘shutting down’ the state would have been screaming if Covid turned out to be as bad or worse than the ‘experts’ said it would be.

Hindsight is always 20/20, while looking ahead in unknown times can be just about flying blind.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

When people bitch about Abbott slightly shutting down Texas, no one knew how bad Covid was going to be. We were lucky it wasn’t as bad as the ‘experts’ said it was going to be. Abbott at least had points that he reviewed his ‘shut down’ and pretty quickly reopened the state. Now the same people bitching about Abbott ‘shutting down’ the state would have been screaming if Covid turned out to be as bad or worse than the ‘experts’ said it would be.

Hindsight is always 20/20, while looking ahead in unknown times can be just about flying blind.
View Quote

The shutdown probably didn't feel slight to restaurant and bar owners. And then exclusively bar owners as the rule became 51% food sales is gtg and safe from covid.

It's not hindsight though. It was pretty clear this was BS from the beginning when all the reporting was on case numbers, not deaths. Among other things...

With that being said, people who say they're voting for Beta over Abbott are morons.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've not seen that Abbott has put significant effort into reestablishing state supremacy over federal overreach.  The mandate pushback seemed too little, too late to me, and I would definitely have liked to see stronger action on the border.

I like both West and Huffines over Abbott, but I'm worried that West will lose interest and wander off halfway through the term, much like he did with the RPT.  Concerned about his follow-through.  Prather I've always considered a good voice to have bringing issues into the public visibility, but he doesn't strike me as a serious contender over West or Huffines.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've not seen that Abbott has put significant effort into reestablishing state supremacy over federal overreach.  The mandate pushback seemed too little, too late to me, and I would definitely have liked to see stronger action on the border.

I like both West and Huffines over Abbott, but I'm worried that West will lose interest and wander off halfway through the term, much like he did with the RPT.  Concerned about his follow-through.  Prather I've always considered a good voice to have bringing issues into the public visibility, but he doesn't strike me as a serious contender over West or Huffines.
View Quote

I like the idea of a challenger to Abbott.

West turned me off with 1) his reaction to the DUI arrest of his wife and 2) the airport mask incident.  I don’t know that much about the guy but my impression is now that he’s one of those guys that trouble seems to follow around and whose knee jerk reaction is to assume he’s been wronged and is the center of the universe. Seems to speak to poor judgment overall.

Huffines sets off every bullshit detector in my being.

Link Posted: 1/17/2022 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Is there any information on debates with the Republican Primary candidates?  I'm not sold on Abbot's performance, but I don't know enough about Allen West, nor Huffines.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to think better of West, I've followed him on facebook for a while and I think I'm done. His method for campaigning is more like "Texas sucks and I'm gonna fix it" instead of "Texas is a great state with some problems we need to fix up".

I dunno, it's almost like a carpetbagger.

Attachment Attached File

Does this feel like it's an ad for a democrat candidate instead of a republican?

Link Posted: 1/17/2022 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

West turned me off with 1) his reaction to the DUI arrest of his wife and 2) the airport mask incident.  I don’t know that much about the guy but my impression is now that he’s one of those guys that trouble seems to follow around and whose knee jerk reaction is to assume he’s been wronged and is the center of the universe. Seems to speak to poor judgment overall.

View Quote

I've liked him since his time in the Legislature; he came in roughly the same time as a good crop of folks whom I still follow and listen to - Jonathan Stickland, Matt Rinaldi (now RPT Chairman), Tony Tinderholt; the Texas Freedom Caucus, essentially.  I'd give quite a bit to get Stick into the governor's mansion, but doesn't look like that's gonna happen anytime soon.  Every candidate's going to have their downside, barring new information, I'm backing Huffines at this point.

S.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the border a governor is very limited on what they can do. Both the Constitution and Congress has given most of that power to the executive branch of the federal government. The main thing a governor can do is get the wall built on state or donated land. He can send the DPS and NG to keep the huge crowds from coming over the border. When the illegals are arrested for trespassing if they go in front of a Democrat judge they are released.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I used to think better of West, I've followed him on facebook for a while and I think I'm done. His method for campaigning is more like "Texas sucks and I'm gonna fix it" instead of "Texas is a great state with some problems we need to fix up".

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166748/Awest_jpg-2243784.JPG

Does this feel like it's an ad for a democrat candidate instead of a republican?

View Quote

The retard can not figure out the reason Texas is so high for sex trafficking is the cartels, our location to the border and both Dallas and Houston have Democrat DA’s that refuse to prosecute the criminals. Sex trafficking is a felony in Texas, yet these DA and judges refuse to prosecute and convict the traffickers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#13]

So he is running to end sex trafficking? That is it?

Noble cause but not on my top 10 things.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And we're still holding against Abbott and will continue to do so against every politician involved.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean the DUI arrest that involved no drugs or alcohol of any kind?  Almost like political persecution
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You seriously are taking someones entire campaign from a single social media post?
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And we're still holding against Abbott and will continue to do so against every politician involved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think he really cares about a few people on ARFcom?

You can just put that you support Beto next to your name because West doesn’t have a dime to his name to run a campaign.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You can just put that you support Beto next to your name because West doesn’t have a dime to his name to run a campaign.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Full time Abbott apologist is definitely what arfcom needs
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

On the border a governor is very limited on what they can do. Both the Constitution and Congress has given most of that power to the executive branch of the federal government. The main thing a governor can do is get the wall built on state or donated land. He can send the DPS and NG to keep the huge crowds from coming over the border. When the illegals are arrested for trespassing if they go in front of a Democrat judge they are released.
View Quote

I fully understand that legally those powers are reserved to the feds, but they don't exactly have a stellar record of operating within their limits, do they?  If the folks responsible aren't doing their job, as a state executive what do you lose by picking up the slack in a move which obviously benefits your citizens, and let the feds seek redress through the courts?
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I fully understand that legally those powers are reserved to the feds, but they don't exactly have a stellar record of operating within their limits, do they?  If the folks responsible aren't doing their job, as a state executive what do you lose by picking up the slack in a move which obviously benefits your citizens, and let the feds seek redress through the courts?
View Quote

$$$$$$$ in a civil suit for illegal arrest or detainment.
$$$$$$$ defending the state in a federal civil rights lawsuit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spending Texan's tax dollars seems to be pretty easy down in Austin
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No just understand politics, I want a good governor who can win an election. I spent a lot of my personal money on the Gray Davis recall, if you want the amount, then you can match it and give it to West if you think he is so great.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No just understand politics, I want a good governor who can win an election. I spent a lot of my personal money on the Gray Davis recall, if you want the amount, then you can match it and give it to West if you think he is so great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

West or Abbott can beat Beto.  Likely whomever wins the Primary is governor.  

You shit post apologize for abbott in every TX political thread
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You mean the DUI arrest that involved no drugs or alcohol of any kind?  Almost like political persecution
View Quote

If I recall correctly, West made a public statement calling for the officer to be fired and for the chief of police to come to his house and formally apologize before any of the facts were established.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If I recall correctly, West made a public statement calling for the officer to be fired and for the chief of police to come to his house and formally apologize before any of the facts were established.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe because he knew his wife didn't drink or do drugs ?!? My God what a cock wad
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

West or Abbott can beat Beto.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

West will finish third behind Huffines.
-he's a carpetbagger
-couldn't win in Florida
-pissed off Texas Republican Party mightily. (he won a contentious race for chairman, then resigned less than a year later)
-has zero name recognition.
-has less $$$ than Huffines.
-comes off as an asshole.

Likely whomever wins the Primary is governor.

True if its Abbott.
False if anyone else.

Beto gots the $$$

Link Posted: 1/17/2022 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shows how stupid West is. In situations like his wife being arrested, just say ‘call my attorney, here is his/her card’.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because I have talked one on one with West when he still was head of the TRP.  He is not a bright guy.

I just being a honest, and I won’t lie to myself about a shitty candidate.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

-he's a carpetbagger
-couldn't win in Florida
-pissed off Texas Republican Party mightily. (he won a contentious race for chairman, then resigned less than a year later)

True if its Abbott.
False if anyone else.

Beto gots the $$$

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-he's a carpetbagger
-couldn't win in Florida

Likely whomever wins the Primary is governor.

True if its Abbott.
False if anyone else.

Beto gots the $$$

If Bob the Fake Mexican runs against a weak candidate like West, Prather or even Huffines the out of state Democrat money will come rolling in fast and hard. There are some very wealthy high tech and hedge fund billionaires that would fund Beto big time against a weak candidate.

Abbott has won 4 statewide elections easily.  Both West and Huffines never could get re-elected.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Because I have talked one on one with West when he still was head of the TRP.  He is not a bright guy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being "honest" every chance possible
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Did Prather have control of who the house schedules with him? Do you watch his show? He's very open that a lot of his "campaigning" is through his show. Edited to add name, didn't realize thread was so long.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

i would say this is 100% wrong simply by the fact he left "some" businesses open. You tell me i need to shut down small businesses but we should force EVERYONE into home depot and lowes with a supposedly deadly highly transferable virus. riiiiiiight.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

because we haven't seen a politician win while using very little campaign money before *cough trump*.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

i think his wife would know the facts?
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

i would say this is 100% wrong simply by the fact he left "some" businesses open. You tell me i need to shut down small businesses but we should force EVERYONE into home depot and lowes with a supposedly deadly highly transferable virus. riiiiiiight.
View Quote

So who forced everyone into Lowe’s and Home Depot? That makes no sense whatsoever.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So who forced everyone into Lowe’s and Home Depot? That makes no sense whatsoever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Abbott forced small businesses to close.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes I understand that. No one was forced into Home Depot or Lowe’s.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could go to any big box store of your choosing.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2022 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s correct. The forced closing of businesses was not right or fair. It damaged some and forced others to close permanently. Still no one was forced to go to Lowe’s or Home Depot. Or forced to shop anyplace they didn’t want to shop.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:25:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That’s correct. The forced closing of businesses was not right or fair. It damaged some and forced others to close permanently. Still no one was forced to go to Lowe’s or Home Depot. Or forced to shop anyplace they didn’t want to shop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other than bars, music venues and dance halls most other businesses that were forced to shut down were under county Judge orders like in Travis and Harris county. Yeah, restaurants had to go to take out only, funny thing is quite a few are doing drive thru only. Some of the shut down stuff businesses did they did on their own not forced. The few restaurants in my area that closed up were pretty poorly run, and have been bought up by people that know how to run a business.

Even when the restaurants reopened for eat in customers, they weren’t that busy for the first few months, instead still doing mostly take out or delivery.

To try to blame Governor Abbott for everything shows you really aren’t paying attention. Then again if Abbott did nothing and Covid happened to take off and overloading the hospitals and skyrocketing death toll, you would be the first one bitching. Abbott also did not keep Texas ‘locked down’ like California, New York or  Michigan. To those that think Florida did everything right, well they kept their Capitol locked down, no citizens can enter, only certain lobbyists can enter by appoint. At the same time the Texas Capitol was open, to the citizens of Texas to lobby their legislators.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Other than bars, music venues and dance halls most other businesses that were forced to shut down were under county Judge orders like in Travis and Harris county. Yeah, restaurants had to go to take out only, funny thing is quite a few are doing drive thru only. Some of the shut down stuff businesses did they did on their own not forced. The few restaurants in my area that closed up were pretty poorly run, and have been bought up by people that know how to run a business.

Even when the restaurants reopened for eat in customers, they weren’t that busy for the first few months, instead still doing mostly take out or delivery.

To try to blame Governor Abbott for everything shows you really aren’t paying attention. Then again if Abbott did nothing and Covid happened to take off and overloading the hospitals and skyrocketing death toll, you would be the first one bitching. Abbott also did not keep Texas ‘locked down’ like California, New York or  Michigan. To those that think Florida did everything right, well they kept their Capitol locked down, no citizens can enter, only certain lobbyists can enter by appoint. At the same time the Texas Capitol was open, to the citizens of Texas to lobby their legislators.
View Quote

I’m not trying to blame Abbott. It was and is a shitty situation for everyone. I’m arguing with dog bark. No one was forced to shop anywhere. That was a ridiculous comment. If you want to blame the government for this mess there is plenty to go around at all levels.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166748/Awest_jpg-2243784.JPG

View Quote

Well, Democrats are now on the side of child molestors. and sex traffickers...  so, not really...  but I can understand the carpet bagger thing since he is from FL...  at least not NY I guess, so it could be worse.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll be interested in the Huffine's report.

Abbot is a no-go for me ever again.  Handling of Covid, last Feb's deep freeze, and the border all are embarrassing for Texas.

Hking
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Abbot is a no-go for me ever again.  Handling of Covid, last Feb's deep freeze, and the border all are embarrassing for Texas.

Hking
View Quote

I have been following Huffine’s he is slightly better than West, but man talk about fucking lies. Dude says ‘He will lower property taxes’! How, the governor is not a dictator and in fact is very limited after Abbott signed into law that limits the governor’s powers. Now any order from the governor only can be in affect for 30 days and then the legislature needs to approve it or deny it. The governor has just about next to no control over property taxes, most are set by counties and ISD’s. Only thing the governor can do sign or veto a bill from the legislature. Also Huffines being a real estate guy does not make him trustworthy in my eyes on property taxes.

Even the border the governor is very limited by federal law, just look at Arizona. They passed a bill back in 2010/2011 that mirrored federal law, the courts struck it all down. Even the arresting illegals for trespassing only works if the DA’s and judges in the counties charge the illegals. Many Democrat DA and judges are not charging or releasing the illegals with no bail.

Beto thanks you for your support, because if Abbott gets primaried the out of state money will flow into Beto’s campaign.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I have been following Huffine’s he is slightly better than West, but man talk about fucking lies. Dude says ‘He will lower property taxes’! How, the governor is not a dictator and in fact is very limited after Abbott signed into law that limits the governor’s powers. Now any order from the governor only can be in affect for 30 days and then the legislature needs to approve it or deny it. The governor has just about next to no control over property taxes, most are set by counties and ISD’s. Only thing the governor can do sign or veto a bill from the legislature. Also Huffines being a real estate guy does not make him trustworthy in my eyes on property taxes.

Even the border the governor is very limited by federal law, just look at Arizona. They passed a bill back in 2010/2011 that mirrored federal law, the courts struck it all down. Even the arresting illegals for trespassing only works if the DA’s and judges in the counties charge the illegals. Many Democrat DA and judges are not charging or releasing the illegals with no bail.

Beto thanks you for your support, because if Abbott gets primaried the out of state money will flow into Beto’s campaign.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hking

carpet baggers insulting Texans for not liking the candidate you work for is not good form
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

carpet baggers insulting Texans for not liking the candidate you work for is not good form
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hking

Lived here 15 years, can you show me where I said I work for Abbott?

The carpet bagger is Allan West, still registers his cars and his wife’s business is in Florida.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The carpet bagger is Allan West, still registers his cars and his wife’s business is in Florida.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hking

Your posts make me think you work for Abbott, at least I'd hope so.  

Get in your time machine and go fight some Commanche and then you can consider yourself a Texan.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Get in your time machine and go fight some Commanche and then you can consider yourself a Texan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hking

Look who can not put Texas on your name.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hking

California born Abbott apologists is exactly what Abbott needs to get re elected.  Too bad he pissed off the conservative base the last 2 years and beyond.  

Property taxes have been out of control since well before you stepped foot on this soil.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

California born Abbott apologists is exactly what Abbott needs to get re elected.  Too bad he pissed off the conservative base the last 2 years and beyond.  

Property taxes have been out of control since well before you stepped foot on this soil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hking

I never said I was born in California .  I do have a lot better understanding of politics than you seem to. I am at the Capitol every session on my own dime pushing through pro-gun legislation.

For you phony ‘conservatives’ Beto thanks you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top