Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2023 11:23:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FROST18E]
I'm looking for a place to cerakote a bolt gun barrel. Nothing fancy, just plain black, 26' inch barrel. Someplace that is smart enough to not let over spray get on the tenon / tenon face, muzzle threads / muzzle face. Most places I've seen don't list a barrel only, and those that do are charging what I would call an exorbitant fee. I'm looking for somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 give or take a little (unless I'm just way off the mark here....)

Thanks for the replies.

12/27 update: went with Area-15, close by and VERY reasonable on the price.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 1:53:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out Area 15 in Mesa, they’ve done several cerakote jobs for me and they all came out great!

https://www.area-15.com/
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 3:51:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Wright Armory has done a few projects for me, and they did a good job.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 5:01:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TriggerFish] [#3]
I agree 100% with MP5_guy... but they are $$$.  They did great work for me over the years on both hand gun and long gun parts.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Koted Arms in Tempe does great work. I’ve used them three times now.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pancho66:
Check out Area 15 in Mesa, they've done several cerakote jobs for me and they all came out great!

https://www.area-15.com/
View Quote
Another vote for Area15.  Good peeps!
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 4:25:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eodinert] [#6]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:
Koted Arms in Tempe does great work. I’ve used them three times now.
View Quote

I took two mr556/416 clone projects to them for Ceracote and remarking.  One was a Brownells lower that came with Brownells markings on the front of the magazine well.  I scrubbed the markings, because a 416 has laser markings on the front of the mag well, and it looks stupid over the engraving.

They called me after a few days and said they couldn't do it.  They said they called the ATF, and ATF told them they would have to re-engrave the Brownells markings, and the HK markings on the other receiver.  I said yeah, nah.

For those that don't know, it's perfectly fine to remove manufacturer markings.  It's always been fine to remove manufacturer markings.

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 7:03:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IPT_Chris] [#7]
Sorry for the thread revival, came across this thread during a Google search, and was curious about this statement:

Originally Posted By eodinert: For those that don't know, it's perfectly fine to remove manufacturer markings.  It's always been fine to remove manufacturer markings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eodinert: For those that don't know, it's perfectly fine to remove manufacturer markings.  It's always been fine to remove manufacturer markings.

27 CFR § 478.34 Removed, obliterated, or altered serial number.
No person shall knowingly transport, ship, or receive in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered, or possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

Your Brownells lower surely was shipped from Iowa to Arizona at some point in its life. The "at any time" part would seemingly include the time before you removed, obliterated, or altered the serial number as well as after.

Additionally, Arizona appears to have its own code:

ARS 13-3102

A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:
[...]
6. Defacing a deadly weapon
[...]
Misconduct involving weapons under subsection A, paragraph 1, subdivision (a) of this section or subsection A, paragraph 5, 6 or 7 of this section is a class 6 felony.

ARS 13-3101
2. "Deface" means to remove, alter or destroy the manufacturer's serial number.

JD @ Koted Arms has done most of my Cerakote work, so I'm biased, but it seems he made the call to avoid unnecessary risk to him/his business. Of course, once a serial number is gone, maybe it was a privately made firearm, who's to say?

Edit: I'm pretty sure eodinert is going to come in and say all he removed/wanted removed was the Brownells name and city/state etc., not the serial, which means I'm talking about a totally different thing. Still, good info for people to know.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By IPT_Chris:
Edit: I'm pretty sure eodinert is going to come in and say all he removed/wanted removed was the Brownells name and city/state etc., not the serial, which means I'm talking about a totally different thing. Still, good info for people to know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By IPT_Chris:

I also came across this thread in a Google search, but you are correct.  The frame/receiver rule changed the definition of "importer's or manufacturer's serial number" found in 27 CFR § 478.11.  It is indeed a violation of 18 USC 922(k) to possess a firearm where the manufacturer's name or location of manufacture has been removed from the frame or receiver.  Whether the ATF had the authority to expand this definition is another issue, but this is what is on the books now.

Importer's or manufacturer's serial number. The serial number placed by a licensee on a firearm, including any full or abbreviated license number, any such identification on a privately made firearm, or a serial number issued by the Director. For purposes of 18 U.S.C. 922(k) and § 478.34, the term shall include any associated licensee name, or licensee city or State placed on a frame or receiver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top