Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2018 4:13:04 AM EDT
I'm not from there anymore, fortunately, but I have family that does and lets me know when the city council gets on their high horses again. The info I was told was that "ALL driveways would have to be paved". However I just read the article and it states it's for NEW construction only, but still. It's all this micro managing kind of stuff that has to be so tailored to the will of the council that it doesn't factor in people's actual needs and what works for them. I haven't looked it up, but I'm guessing that parking on the yard isn't an option either.

https://wcfcourier.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/cedar-falls-council-adopts-new-guidelines-for-driveways/article_1f4a2c23-2d3e-57c9-b736-16e3b4d9b6b9.html

“You can’t pave this large expanse of area and say, ‘It’s my driveway’” Sheetz said. “We want it to be sized to the garage that it’s serving. So if it’s a one car garage it’s not a three car wide driveway for example.”

The ordinance amendment does not address on-street parking.

Sheetz says another ordinance amendment is in the works to describe what kinds of parking configurations are and are not allowed in back yards.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Garner did similar a few years ago. Not driveways, but Out of the blue they decided ADA compliant sidewalks were mandatory. Friend of mine fought them on it, on the grounds that his yard was so small, a sidewalk set back the normal distance from the road would put people walking right at his bedroom window. He ended up surveying his lot, and found that back when the city put in the road they paved 6 feet of what eventually became his property. City verified this, and came up that even more was paved than he thought. They ended up legally purchasing that part of his yard, and a few more feet, and built a sidewalk butted up right against the curb.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Given that CF is a college town I'm surprised it took them this long to come up with that.  This is a backdoor occupancy restriction.  Effectively limits the number of vehicles a given residence can have.  Pretty common tactic in college towns.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait until they decide your paved driveways all have to have round abouts.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#4]
If only they could put some effort into the terrible traffic light strategy on Hudson Rd.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Given that CF is a college town I'm surprised it took them this long to come up with that.  This is a backdoor occupancy restriction.  Effectively limits the number of vehicles a given residence can have.  Pretty common tactic in college towns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I realize that they want to keep up appearances, but they're going overboard and not being considerate about the people that can't afford to keep their property up to the standards the council wants. People are also getting notices to paint their houses (not sure what time line they're being given). A beauty supply store was going to open up last year in CF, it had gained in popularity big time in her home and wanted to expand with a store downtown CF. She moved her business elsewhere because the city refused to let her paint the front of the store pink.

Quoted:
Well played sir!

Quoted:
If only they could put some effort into the terrible traffic light strategy on Hudson Rd.
No kidding! They could never figure out how to do it on University Ave either, which was probably part of their justification for the round abouts. I had a theory that they timed the lights to catch people at the majority of them so that they could sit there and look around at the surrounding businesses and get a wild hare and go spend some money. The same theory could work on Hudson near the college, perhaps to influence people to send friends and family to UNI.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Garner did similar a few years ago. Not driveways, but Out of the blue they decided ADA compliant sidewalks were mandatory. Friend of mine fought them on it, on the grounds that his yard was so small, a sidewalk set back the normal distance from the road would put people walking right at his bedroom window. He ended up surveying his lot, and found that back when the city put in the road they paved 6 feet of what eventually became his property. City verified this, and came up that even more was paved than he thought. They ended up legally purchasing that part of his yard, and a few more feet, and built a sidewalk butted up right against the curb.
View Quote
I moved out of Britt in time for them to require sidewalks on the same street I lived on. It was sad seeing it years later too because it meant that they had to take out the big shade tree out front and the nice brick work my wife put up around it. It sloped down from the tree to the street, so the bricks really looked good as they came out of the little hill.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 7:13:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Just live in Mason city.  Our city is so messed up that they are to busy arguing about stupid shit that they never get shit done.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
If there is one thing I hate its God damn roundabouts unholy eurotrash bullshit
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I realize that they want to keep up appearances, but they're going overboard and not being considerate about the people that can't afford to keep their property up to the standards the council wants. People are also getting notices to paint their houses (not sure what time line they're being given). A beauty supply store was going to open up last year in CF, it had gained in popularity big time in her home and wanted to expand with a store downtown CF. She moved her business elsewhere because the city refused to let her paint the front of the store pink.

Well played sir!

No kidding! They could never figure out how to do it on University Ave either, which was probably part of their justification for the round abouts. I had a theory that they timed the lights to catch people at the majority of them so that they could sit there and look around at the surrounding businesses and get a wild hare and go spend some money. The same theory could work on Hudson near the college, perhaps to influence people to send friends and family to UNI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Well played sir!

Quoted:
Lol more like buy a house at Erik Rd or work at Target Dist.  Lol
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I honestly don't mind roundabouts. But it was NOT the answer for CF; more specifically, 3 or 4 of them on University Ave
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I honestly don't mind roundabouts. But it was NOT the answer for CF; more specifically, 3 or 4 of them on University Ave
View Quote
I'm going to disagree - the round a bouts on university make driving that road a pleasure. SOOOO much faster than stopping every 200' for a freaking light.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#13]
But why spend millions of dollars, when they could've spent maybe a $1000 or less and just timed the existing lights? Not to mention the loss of business to companies along that road.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
But why spend millions of dollars, when they could've spent maybe a $1000 or less and just timed the existing lights? Not to mention the loss of business to companies along that road.
View Quote
That godforsaken road needed to be torn down to bedrock anyway. I'm 99% sure the existing plan uses significantly less material than the 3 lanes + turning lanes.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top