Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2018 11:35:04 PM EDT
So I recently moved to FL from Michigan. I applied for the ccw using the same certificate from my class I took in Michigan (I have a MI and AZ ccw permit). Per what I read on the AG website, any certificate issued by a NRA instructor should work. Mine got kicked back due to the certificate not having "live fire" written on it somewhere. Someone at the department wrote out "must read live fire" and highlighted it and sent a copy of the certificate back.

Now Michigan requires live fire training which was part of that class, but there is no "live fire" written on it anywhere. Has this happened to anyone before? This seems to not make sense based on what I read on the AG dept's website. I haven't had a chance to call them yet.

Thankfully I can submit my IDPA score from a match I participated in and hopefully that will work. It annoys me because I feel that either the department is not following the law, or they need to change their application instructions to say the certificate must say "live fire" on it somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Which NRA course? Not all include live fire.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:39:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Personal protection in the home. It has the correct verbiage to comply with the Michigan live fire requirements, citing the statute number that states you need to pass an accuracy shooting test but no mention of  "I shot a gun" on the certificate
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:00:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Someone in the Ag office needs educated then. That course certainly requires live fire.

I would have printed the course description and stuck it under someone's nose. I've never issued a cert that says "live fire."
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine doesn't say live fire. It went through in 1 day.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Will not a previously issued permit from another State work alone?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Some cretin up in Tallahassee is making their own rules. NOTHING in the law says your certificate has to say "live fire", just as nothing in the law says a certificate has to be notarized- something that happened to a former student of mine.

Call the Dep't of Ag and ask to speak to a boss and tell them your situation. I did that for my student and asked the person I spoke with to quote the section where it says "must be notarized". When she refused, I told her she could tell my representative then and wouldn't you know... suddenly everything changed and my student's packet went through.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Nothing in the statute requires that the completion certificate include a statement concerning "live fire."

The statute (790.06) does hint that the instructor must keep a record of the live fire portion of the course.

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document that shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph. A person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm in his or her physical presence and that the discharge of the firearm included live fire using a firearm and ammunition as defined in s. 790.001;

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.06.html

Two interesting side notes/questions.  (just for the sake of discussion)

When a NRA instructor delivers a personal protection course he/she has no way of knowing that the student may, some day, use that certificate to apply for a FLCWFL.  So is the State of Florida requiring all NRA instructors to keep records of "live fire" for all of their courses/students?

How would a Michigan NRA instructor know that he must keep a record of live fire for a student that some day may day move to Florida and use an old certificate to apply for a FLCWFL?

This is what happens when the Florida legislature tries to make law, by making editorial changes to the statutes.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm an instructor.  I maintain all records whether the law says I have to or not.   Also, I don't have "live fire" anywhere on any of my certificates.  So far, no one I have trained has ever been turned down or delayed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmm....seems like I'll have to call and talk to someone in charge. I'll try that today.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmm....seems like I'll have to call and talk to someone in charge. I'll try that today.
View Quote
That,s your best bet hopefully they will straighten up and fly right.
Way back in the day when I was applying they were kicking back almost everyone for some trivial stupid shit.
Denied me twice, once for not writing in full the name Okaloosa for "county" in a block barely big enough for Ok, re-submit kicked back again for abbreviating
the the name of the Sheriffs dept. Couldn't be bothered to tell me both "mistakes" at one time.
Like any other place sometimes an asshole get your application maybe they will fix ya up without gettin butt-hurt.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I called yesterday and spoke to some guy who was nice but all he could do was take a message. He passed on my concerns to the licensing department. I also faxed over a letter politely telling them they were wrong, a copy of the Michigan law mandating live fire, a copy of my IDPA score, and a copy of the Florida law. I also contacted my reps office and asked them to inquire on my behalf and cc'ed them on the fax

I received a phone call today , missed the call but the voicemail said the letter was issued in error and that my license was in the mail.

So if this happens to anyone else, light a fire and let them know to correct their error.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad it worked out for you...
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#13]
With the new Democrat Agriculture Secretary this may become common practice.  I hope not.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Rock and Roll.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#17]
All my certificates that I issue where live-fire is conducted include a live-fire statement... better to have it and not need vs. needing it and not having it.

While it's not required per se, I have no idea where a person might need to use the certificate in the future. My goal in including the statement is to try as much as possible to help people avoid any potential problems whether right or wrong.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I called yesterday and spoke to some guy who was nice but all he could do was take a message. He passed on my concerns to the licensing department. I also faxed over a letter politely telling them they were wrong, a copy of the Michigan law mandating live fire, a copy of my IDPA score, and a copy of the Florida law. I also contacted my reps office and asked them to inquire on my behalf and cc'ed them on the fax

I received a phone call today , missed the call but the voicemail said the letter was issued in error and that my license was in the mail.

So if this happens to anyone else, light a fire and let them know to correct their error.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!!
View Quote
How long was the process? Mine still shows the blurb about 90 days and we're still within that time...  I applied on 9/27.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How long was the process? Mine still shows the blurb about 90 days and we're still within that time...  I applied on 9/27.
View Quote
The letter was issued November 15. I applied around mid September, I don't remember the exact date. I still haven't seen it in the mail.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:02:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The letter was issued November 15. I applied around mid September, I don't remember the exact date. I still haven't seen it in the mail.
View Quote
Hope it goes well from here on in. I'm somewhat concerned because the lady who did my application told me that although they tell you it can take 90 days it is more like a few weeks.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I used my DD214. Doesn't say "live fire" on it.

Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Because it's getting close to the legal 90 day period I called and was told that my fingerprints had to be resubmitted due to some kind of error on their part... "If you don't have anything in the next two weeks call again"...
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Update:

"Your license was issued on 12/17/2018. Please allow up to 15 business days for your license to be printed and mailed. If you do not receive your license within that timeframe, please contact us via live chat or call our Public Inquiry Section at (850)245-5691 for additional information."

Feels to me like the phone call jogged someone into action....
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 2:59:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
All my certificates that I issue where live-fire is conducted include a live-fire statement... better to have it and not need vs. needing it and not having it.

While it's not required per se, I have no idea where a person might need to use the certificate in the future. My goal in including the statement is to try as much as possible to help people avoid any potential problems whether right or wrong.
View Quote
Your live fire training is the most fun I have ever had with my clothes on!  If you ever get a chance to train with him, you will not be disapppointed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Live fire isn’t required for a Florida CWL. Notice only parts 2, 3, or 7 require live fire.

FS 790.06

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, using instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of a law enforcement agency or security enforcement;
5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;
A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document that shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph. A person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm in his or her physical presence and that the discharge of the firearm included live fire using a firearm and ammunition as defined in s. 790.001;
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top