Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2024 6:33:35 PM EDT
Thinking about moving to Casa Grande/Arizona City, what is the area like? Probably rent initially, how expensive is it?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#1]
While i don't know what the area you'll be leaving will compare, i personally don't think CG is as bad as some might think. Been here 15 years and i've seen it blow up in size over the last 5 years or so. It had the same issues as other comparable places elsewhere; crime seemed to be mostly in and around the south (poorer) side. But with the mass developement of housing over the last 5 years, many (if not most) are California transplants that moved for work and/or cheaper housing. With that, you tend to see a little more crime and homelessness here these days. They're building a whole slew of new apartment complexes, so it's reasonable to assume it may get worse.

I've also seen the cost of living go up some too, but it's still cheaper than in the Phoenix area. Rent is around $2k per month for a house and 1.3k for an apartment. Resources and amenities are better than before, but CG is still lacking in some things. If there's something we don't have here, the Phoenix area is less than an hour away.  Right now, gas is a little over $3 per gallon.

It really boils down on where in town you go. Some areas are really nice and others are shit. I would recommend staying away from Arizona City and Eloy. But if you go to either the Villago or Mission Royale area, you'd be just fine. The heat, monsoons and dust storms during the summer can be brutal. But this is Arizona. Just my $.02
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -DesertFox-:
While i don't know what the area you'll be leaving will compare, i personally don't think CG is as bad as some might think. Been here 15 years and i've seen it blow up in size over the last 5 years or so. It had the same issues as other comparable places elsewhere; crime seemed to be mostly in and around the south (poorer) side. But with the mass developement of housing over the last 5 years, many (if not most) are California transplants that moved for work and/or cheaper housing. With that, you tend to see a little more crime and homelessness here these days. They're building a whole slew of new apartment complexes, so it's reasonable to assume it may get worse.

I've also seen the cost of living go up some too, but it's still cheaper than in the Phoenix area. Rent is around $2k per month for a house and 1.3k for an apartment. Resources and amenities are better than before, but CG is still lacking in some things. If there's something we don't have here, the Phoenix area is less than an hour away.  Right now, gas is a little over $3 per gallon.

It really boils down on where in town you go. Some areas are really nice and others are shit. I would recommend staying away from Arizona City and Eloy. But if you go to either the Villago or Mission Royale area, you'd be just fine. The heat, monsoons and dust storms during the summer can be brutal. But this is Arizona. Just my $.02
View Quote

Good info, thank you.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 2:05:14 AM EDT
[#3]
CG is nice, but like he said, exploding in size due to MUCH industry moving into the area. Another factory is opening up between CG and Maricopa in a month. However, there is a nice free public range south of town...but with some many people here it is becoming harder to find a line, and it is unmonitored.
Lots of new builds going on in CG, including right across from Safeway - not sure if they are rental condos or what. North of Cottonwood, pretty good, much south of there and it can be weird. I've been here for a few years now, and it's livable.
Arizona Shitty...I can answer that one REALLY well - I lived there for 11 years and would have to be dragged back kicking and screaming. There is a half an IGA grocery store in town and a Dollar General. That's it for groceries locally, drive up into CG for anything good. Several booze shops. Stay on the EAST side of Sunland Gin Road and the crime rate is not horrible, WEST of Sunland Gin and it is far worse. No idea why. Many retirees, lots of bad drivers, not streetlights, no services, no gas stations unless you count the truck stops up by the freeway. Rent went up to about $900 for a three bedroom 900 square foot duplex built 30 years ago by drunken labor.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By armoredman:
CG is nice, but like he said, exploding in size due to MUCH industry moving into the area. Another factory is opening up between CG and Maricopa in a month. However, there is a nice free public range south of town...but with some many people here it is becoming harder to find a line, and it is unmonitored.
Lots of new builds going on in CG, including right across from Safeway - not sure if they are rental condos or what. North of Cottonwood, pretty good, much south of there and it can be weird. I've been here for a few years now, and it's livable.
Arizona Shitty...I can answer that one REALLY well - I lived there for 11 years and would have to be dragged back kicking and screaming. There is a half an IGA grocery store in town and a Dollar General. That's it for groceries locally, drive up into CG for anything good. Several booze shops. Stay on the EAST side of Sunland Gin Road and the crime rate is not horrible, WEST of Sunland Gin and it is far worse. No idea why. Many retirees, lots of bad drivers, not streetlights, no services, no gas stations unless you count the truck stops up by the freeway. Rent went up to about $900 for a three bedroom 900 square foot duplex built 30 years ago by drunken labor.
View Quote

My Grandparents used to own a home in Arizona City, I think they sold it around 92. Crime was starting to get pretty bad there about that time. You both have been very helpful, thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 1:45:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By KOOLKEV:

My Grandparents used to own a home in Arizona City, I think they sold it around 92. Crime was starting to get pretty bad there about that time. You both have been very helpful, thanks again.
View Quote
Smart move - my landlord, who was the only cool think about Arizona Shitty, told me that when they built the place, they were trying to make a new Green Valley, a retiree town near a bigger town with golf courses and such. Well, they have a couple of golf courses, and the retirees, but a wholloping bunch more crime. Too close to Eloy by far.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Smart move - my landlord, who was the only cool think about Arizona Shitty, told me that when they built the place, they were trying to make a new Green Valley, a retiree town near a bigger town with golf courses and such. Well, they have a couple of golf courses, and the retirees, but a wholloping bunch more crime. Too close to Eloy by far.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Burglaries and break ins were getting pretty common place. They owned a home here in Iowa too, they were back here when the police called and said their home had been broken into. Seems that when people shut off their utilities someone at the utility company was telling others what homes were unoccupied. They took absolutely everything. Insurance paid pennies on the dollar. My Grandmother was pissed. Sold it shortly after.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#7]
20 years ago, never thought I would see anyone ask about living in Arizona City...  Unless you live in Gary Indianna and are on fire, can't imagine why anyone would think that was an upgrade.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Quake_Guy:
20 years ago, never thought I would see anyone ask about living in Arizona City...  Unless you live in Gary Indianna and are on fire, can't imagine why anyone would think that was an upgrade.
View Quote

Any small towns you would recommend? Perhaps up in the four corners area?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I am an Iowa Native and moved to AZ 7 years ago with my wife. We are in Cottonwood in N. Central AZ and like it here. It is a tourist area though being close to Sedona and we probably could not afford a house or rent today. Look at Prescott if you can afford it, or Otherwise Tucson. Message me for more info

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#10]
With migrating Californians driving up real estate prices, AZ has gotten pretty expensive housing wise - the Midwest and some smaller communities of the northeast US ( where I came from) had really low ( compared to national ) real estate/ living costs.
I live in Dewey ( about 15 miles east of Prescott and I drive to cottonwood to work every day) and one thing that is complained about here is real estate/ rental costs. You can get lucky but you are likely to have some sticker shock in regards to housing.

A bit of an apples to oranges comparison, but for perspective:

In the mid 90’s I bought a patch of land in rural upstate NY ( dairy farm country) 6.5 acres with a already operating well, septic and power lines run in from the road - cost me 21K.
I built my dream home - 2600 SF log home, wrap around deck 3 car garage, full basement with a fully finished gun room, could deer hunt off my back porch etc
First class craftsman build cost me 180K

When we decided to sell and move got 250k

We rented a couple places when we got to AZ, ( 2015) rent ran 2K a month ( very nice development adjacent to a golf course)

For a couple reasons changed gears and bought a house - 1900SF, postage stamp sized lot in a country club type community -$450K - plus $650 annual HOA fee. We do get good amenities wiith the HOA, and thus far, the HOA is not to onerous. But to think I paid about double for substantially less house and land is a bit disheartening. Then again I am sure the house I left in NY if sold today would be half a mil or more.

North central AZ ( “quad cities”- Prescott,Prescott Valley,Dewey,Chino valley) is a nice area, get some 4 season weather not nearly as hot in summer as the valley( Phoenix metro and surrounding areas) and is a little insulated and distant from alll the issues at the border. If I had to do it all over again not much I would change, except maybe buying a house sooner.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By IT_Cowboy:
I am an Iowa Native and moved to AZ 7 years ago with my wife. We are in Cottonwood in N. Central AZ and like it here. It is a tourist area though being close to Sedona and we probably could not afford a house or rent today. Look at Prescott if you can afford it, or Otherwise Tucson. Message me for more info

View Quote

Thank you. I'm just in the beginning stages of looking around. I need to do alot more research, but I certainly appreciate your input.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By captain127:
With migrating Californians driving up real estate prices, AZ has gotten pretty expensive housing wise - the Midwest and some smaller communities of the northeast US ( where I came from) had really low ( compared to national ) real estate/ living costs.
I live in Dewey ( about 15 miles east of Prescott and I drive to cottonwood to work every day) and one thing that is complained about here is real estate/ rental costs. You can get lucky but you are likely to have some sticker shock in regards to housing.

A bit of an apples to oranges comparison, but for perspective:

In the mid 90’s I bought a patch of land in rural upstate NY ( dairy farm country) 6.5 acres with a already operating well, septic and power lines run in from the road - cost me 21K.
I built my dream home - 2600 SF log home, wrap around deck 3 car garage, full basement with a fully finished gun room, could deer hunt off my back porch etc
First class craftsman build cost me 180K

When we decided to sell and move got 250k

We rented a couple places when we got to AZ, ( 2015) rent ran 2K a month ( very nice development adjacent to a golf course)

For a couple reasons changed gears and bought a house - 1900SF, postage stamp sized lot in a country club type community -$450K - plus $650 annual HOA fee. We do get good amenities wiith the HOA, and thus far, the HOA is not to onerous. But to think I paid about double for substantially less house and land is a bit disheartening. Then again I am sure the house I left in NY if sold today would be half a mil or more.

North central AZ ( “quad cities”- Prescott,Prescott Valley,Dewey,Chino valley) is a nice area, get some 4 season weather not nearly as hot in summer as the valley( Phoenix metro and surrounding areas) and is a little insulated and distant from alll the issues at the border. If I had to do it all over again not much I would change, except maybe buying a house sooner.
View Quote

I just began my search with what I already had a bit of knowledge about. As I said my Grandparents used to have a home there, and I visited a couple times. But now, with how things have changed, I'm thinking of looking a bit further North. Thank for your input, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

That is Navajo rez.
What made you think of that place ?
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By azcheesehead:

That is Navajo rez.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By azcheesehead:

That is Navajo rez.

I looked it up after I posted here. Wow, that's a big chunk of land. I just thought it might be a cool place to live, I like that kind of terrain.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Page isn't much different than 4 corners, not much there tho also like the 4 corners area.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I witnessed a drive by shooting at the movie theater in Casa Grande when I was 4. I am told Casa Grande has massively improved in the last 30 years.

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 2:00:09 AM EDT
[#18]
The one over by K-Mart, that closed many years ago? That whole strip mall is empty except for the Dollar Store and the oil change place. I don't remember hearing of any drive bys in CG since I moved up here from Tucson 15 years ago. It is getting too big for this small town guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top