Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/18/2022 4:50:23 PM EDT
Hoping to get more training in next year. I’ve signed up to take the TNVC NF-201 again next year in Great Falls. Hoping to get an advanced carbine class for 2023?  Even it it’s a full day drive away I’m willing to make the journey.

Does anyone know of any classes?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am thinking of taking the 201 class in April, is that the one you signed up for?

Wife and BIL are probably doing 101.

I don't know of any Carbine classes as of yet.
View Quote

Nope, I went with the fall class.

Do it!  I took it this last Sept and learned a ton. But, I felt like I was barely treading water throughout much of it. So many room exercises with something new/different to focus on every time. Very humbling. I need to go back again and see if I can’t apply what I learned. Bill has put a lot of time into the class and changed it from the previous title of ‘Armed Professional’ to fit the new curriculum.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's why I want to take it, the new curriculum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am thinking of taking the 201 class in April, is that the one you signed up for?

Wife and BIL are probably doing 101.

I don't know of any Carbine classes as of yet.

Nope, I went with the fall class.

Do it!  I took it this last Sept and learned a ton. But, I felt like I was barely treading water throughout much of it. So many room exercises with something new/different to focus on every time. Very humbling. I need to go back again and see if I can’t apply what I learned. Bill has put a lot of time into the class and changed it from the previous title of ‘Armed Professional’ to fit the new curriculum.

That's why I want to take it, the new curriculum.

Here’s a very good review of NF-201 written by a guy that I was lucky enough to get partnered up with throughout much of the class. So nice to get paired up with a guy that has his level of knowledge, skills and abilities. He totally enhanced my learning.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone here taken a Chris Costa class?  Opinions?
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Warrior Poet Society was out here last year in Big Fork, I am hoping they will return this year. I haven't trained with them but my friends have and highly recommend it. If they come back here I'll be there.

I have also looked at Western MT Tactical https://www.wmtac.com and Tactic MT https://tacticmt.com and they seem promising.

I trained with TSG in Sept and it was great training. Excellent foundational work and, most importantly, the mindset training is top notch. Cannot recommend them enough. Link to the class I took.
https://tacticalsolutionsgroup.com/courses/predator-guardian-three-day-high-threat-operations/
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:24:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Warrior Poet Society was out here last year in Big Fork, I am hoping they will return this year. I haven't trained with them but my friends have and highly recommend it. If they come back here I'll be there.

I have also looked at Western MT Tactical https://www.wmtac.com and Tactic MT https://tacticmt.com and they seem promising.

I trained with TSG in Sept and it was great training. Excellent foundational work and, most importantly, the mindset training is top notch. Cannot recommend them enough. Link to the class I took.
https://tacticalsolutionsgroup.com/courses/predator-guardian-three-day-high-threat-operations/
View Quote

Man, I didn’t realize WPS was in MT last year. I don’t see anything close by on their schedule this year. If you hear of them coming please let me know.

Tactic is probably the easiest logistically.  Seems like their prices have jumped up a bit.  I haven’t heard much feedback outside of their basic/intro classes.

I don’t see any 2023 classes on TSG’s website but I’ll keep looking to see if that changes. Same with WMTTactical.  

Thanks for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How do you feel about attending Warfighter Challenge about two hours northeast of Billings?

It isn't a "class" but you might be surprised how much you can learn there.
View Quote

Can you post the details of this, please?  If I recall it’s pretty physical. My back was jacked last year and there was no way I could attempt it. Perhaps I can hack it this year.

Thanks.

ETA  Found it!
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Bumping this again to see if anyone has heard of any classes other training that might be happening in the region this year.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:09:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm doing a Costa class in ID in July.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm doing a Costa class in ID in July.
View Quote

Awesome!  

I was looking at his Carbine 2 class but I have a conflict with work at that time. Grrrrr.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Welp, Costa class got canx due to lack of students.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Welp, Costa class got canx due to lack of students.
View Quote

Damn, that sucks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Depending on the timing, I can come out to MT, or somewhere east of there, and run a course, either formally or at a cost basis if the majority of participants are APC-rated.

@Lurk-king and @Lomshek came out to a course last year in MO, here is the thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Carbine-Course-August-27th-and-28th-Gadsden-Range-Iberia-MO-Full-/69-663134/
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 12:12:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Depending on the timing, I can come out to MT, or somewhere east of there, and run a course, either formally or at a cost basis if the majority of participants are APC-rated.

@Lurk-king and @Lomshek came out to a course last year in MS, here is the thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Carbine-Course-August-27th-and-28th-Gadsden-Range-Iberia-MO-Full-/69-663134/
View Quote

That would be awesome!  It was great instruction and a lot of fun.   Pretty sure I could find a +1 or 2
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 12:27:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 4:33:43 AM EDT
[#19]
LOL. That sounds like cheap entertainment.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ooooof!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to point out that it is really, really easy to get a 3rd Class rating. Seriously. All you have to do is go hiking a few times- and the distances are not far, and the pace is not fast. It is a normal walking pace.

That said, don't fake having earned a rating- this has happened before and people are always found out. It is embarrassing to get kicked from training in front of your peers because you're a danger to yourself and others due to claiming to be proficient in basic safety skills when you are not.

Or saying you can hike 6 miles in two hours, then showing up to training and learning the actual training site is only a mile from parking and you're unable to carry your gear from the parking lot to the training site.

Ooooof!

Six hours of hiking the night before class can get a rating

ETA: You'd also qualify for extra shooting position transition training - stand, kneel, prone, kneel, urban-prone, two shots from each position, go!
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#24]
What dates/locations are we looking at for this? Are we only looking at advanced pistol/carbine, or did anyone want to do a basic course first? Focus on competitive shooting or on practical applications?

I generally teach a roll-up of the really old Magpul/Chris Costa curriculum with some of the urban gunfighter stuff from the Brokos courses.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd definitely be interested in this. Trying to get together with some guys in the flathead to get rated, but life keeps getting in the way. I'd be more interested in practical vs competition.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#26]
My calendar has some slots in late July/early August. Any preferences in terms of location etc?

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

ETA: You'd also qualify for extra shooting position transition training - stand, kneel, prone, kneel, urban-prone, two shots from each position, go!
View Quote

So, how does someone become qualified to attend one of your trainings exactly?
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Who are these dudes?
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As Ben said - the basic ratings are hikes with weight, distance and time things. When I got out of the army way back when I said I'd never ruck again since I did that so much, yet here I am doing it once more, and actually feeling good and wanting to do it. As it turns out having that fitness base makes all my other fun sports much more enjoyable.

I teach both APC courses and privately. Think of being APC-qualified as getting one hell of a discount on the courses. I teach at cost for APC (so $0 for a lot of things) and people without a rating can simply pay the actual course fee if it's a mixed class (which goes back to APC). The stuff you can get through APC that's hard to get anywhere else are the mountaineering, boat safety, search and rescue courses, and fieldcraft.

If you're APC-rated I know you're not likely to collapse on the more physically intensive parts of the training, aren't going to whine about rocks in your shoes, and your load-bearing kit is more likely to be sorted. That saves me a lot of time at the beginning of the class.

To conclude though, I am fine with teaching a course whether you're APC or not. $1000 base + $500 per person (min 5 ppl) for a private 2 day pistol/carbine course is my rate, plus what the facility charges.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#33]
@homeyclaus

Interested if in MT. Would also bring a +1.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
@homeyclaus

Interested if in MT. Would also bring a +1.
View Quote

So we have 2, anyone else?

Bozeman area?
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Bozeman area?
View Quote

Unfortunately I don’t think the old L4/L5/S1 is gonna allow me to meet the physical requirements. A 30 year career of humping loads through mountains across the nation has left me unable to do so now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Unfortunately I don’t think the old L4/L5/S1 is gonna allow me to meet the physical requirements. A 30 year career of humping loads through mountains across the nation has left me unable to do so now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bozeman area?

@sunnybean - It's only a requirement for official APC courses, this probably won't be one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Bozeman area?
View Quote

Do you have a place in the Bozeman area in mind? If not, what sort of facilities/area would be ideal?
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I'd really like to, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to swing it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Do you have a place in the Bozeman area in mind? If not, what sort of facilities/area would be ideal?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bozeman area?

A maps search came up with a couple of places, but for things like this I generally ask the students; they know the local ranges, and may even know some of the management.

An outdoor range bay, bermed on three sides, with enough space for everyone (figure on 10' per student minimum) is the only requirement. Nice-to-have's are a range facility that has target stands, some steel, and a covered area by the range to use for instruction.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#40]
If everyone wanted to come to Kalispell ...I could check with my private club.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If everyone wanted to come to Kalispell ...I could check with my private club.
View Quote

Flights all cost the same, unless I wanted to drive 4+ hours from Spokane in a rental car. With the new laws in WA it remains to be seen if it's like flying through NJ with checked firearms though. Driving is 2300 miles each way for me
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:19:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Which one?
View Quote

Bigfork
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 3:16:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#49]
If anyone would be interested to take a class with Defenders USA in Kalispell this summer or fall, please let me know. I have been talking to Adam this morning about what it would take to get him up here in addition to Boulder.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Depending on when in kalispell, I could probably make it work.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top