User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lurk-king:

I feel ya.  For some reason it took a couple days before my knee start hurting but boy did it.
View Quote

That slide was worth it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

That slide was worth it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I feel ya.  For some reason it took a couple days before my knee start hurting but boy did it.

That slide was worth it.

Totally!

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]

That slide was worth it.
View Quote

In shorts, no less. Pretty sure I visibly cringed when you did that.

It was awesome.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 3:00:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lurk-king] [#4]
Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:

It was awesome.
View All Quotes

That slide was worth it.

It was awesome.

I somehow managed to do it without a scratch but I did get a little recoil bruise by the end of it all which I was surprised by.

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#5]

I somehow managed to do it without a scratch but I did get a little recoil bruise by the end of it all which I was surprised by.

View All Quotes

That slide was worth it.

It was awesome.

Oh my, from a piston AR, too. Not sure I'd admit it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#6]
My shoulder was fine. Probably that extra mass for the piston system beating you up.

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The worst I suffered was a ripped up knee in my pants.

I did come home to two kittens in the living room that weren't there when I left.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#8]
@homeyclause was one of the slings you showed us a Vickers combat sling with the quick adjustment tab?
Also, what gun lube were you so generously sharing with us? it seemed to hold up well.

I wanted to add, the progression from the SBS shooting position to Urban Prone to Broke Back built
well each onto the next and made it easier  for me to recall details when I later took notes.
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 7:06:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lurk-king] [#9]
Originally Posted By homeyclaus:

View All Quotes

That slide was worth it.

It was awesome.

Good point, it hardly kicks so it must have been from getting on the gun so fast I bruised myself
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ghost_Dog_NE:

@homeyclause was one of the slings you showed us a Vickers combat sling with the quick adjustment tab?
Also, what gun lube were you so generously sharing with us? it seemed to hold up well.

I wanted to add, the progression from the SBS shooting position to Urban Prone to Broke Back built
well each onto the next and made it easier  for me to recall details when I later took notes.
Thanks again.
View Quote

Break-Free CLP from the spray-can was one of them. It's better that people say it is. I saw more than one can, perhaps someone else brought some too. Just be aware the amount of solvent (vs. oil and rust preventatives) varies from the little bottle, hand-spray bottle, and the pressurized can. I know the cans have more solvent. Something else I have used a lot on courses is (*gasp!*) RemOil CLP in the spray can. There are better carbon-removers, there are copper-solvents, but for keeping something running well enough, CLP works fine.

One of my demo/loaners had a Magpul sling on it with the Israeli paracord setup. The base model Magpul slings work pretty much like the Vickers, and I like them a little better. I have Vickers on a bunch of other things that didn't come to the course.

The other had a turn-of-the-century Blackhawk! 3-point sling on it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#11]
That Blackhawk 3 point sling was cool but I could see myself getting all kinds of tangled up in it!

Thank again.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Ghost_Dog_NE:

That Blackhawk 3 point sling was cool but I could see myself getting all kinds of tangled up in it!

Thank again.
View Quote

Agreed. Unless you have spent a lot of time in one already it's not worth it. Magpul MS1 is where it has been at for a while now. You can get super fancy there too with the quick releases, but any quick release will release quickly, or not release at all, at the worst possible moment unless aggressively maintained.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Agreed. Unless you have spent a lot of time in one already it's not worth it. Magpul MS1 is where it has been at for a while now. You can get super fancy there too with the quick releases, but any quick release will release quickly, or not release at all, at the worst possible moment unless aggressively maintained.
View Quote

Serious question - Isn't one of the features of QD stuff an engineered break strength so the sling doesn't become a death trap if hung up on something?

I'm sure it could go either way with stories of someone being saved by their sling not popping free or by popping free but that being an engineered feature seems logical.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I will say if you're going to go the QD route, buy quality. No name Amazon/ebay crap will let you down.

I had some experiences with the cheapos that led me to just go BCM on everything. No issues since, and they've been abused. I hit them with Hornady One Shot every time I clean the gun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I will say if you're going to go the QD route, buy quality. No name Amazon/ebay crap will let you down.
View Quote

Absolutely!
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Lomshek:

Serious question - Isn't one of the features of QD stuff an engineered break strength so the sling doesn't become a death trap if hung up on something?

I'm sure it could go either way with stories of someone being saved by their sling not popping free or by popping free but that being an engineered feature seems logical.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lomshek:

I'd say quality QD attachments will have a validated, standard breaking or release point. But I would not bet my life on it working as intended in real life, even if well-maintained.

I had some experiences with the cheapos that led me to just go BCM on everything. No issues since, and they've been abused. I hit them with Hornady One Shot every time I clean the gun.

Truth.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:18:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: homeyclaus] [#17]
So I grabbed some stills from the video footage; LMK if you want this taken down, but the faces aren't really all that clear.

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

This
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top