Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2021 4:38:39 PM EDT
It’s that time of year again.  It looks like here in Fairfax most car tax will go up 5% because used vehicle prices have gotten so high. Such bullshit.
I paid sales tax on my new Jeep in 2018 and EVERY YEAR I end up paying 1200-1600 in car tax.  Where does the tax money go? Bike lanes on Seminary road? WTF,!!!!!!!! cannot wait to leave this state.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#2]
My vehicle is older and comes in at around $200.00.  The 'rona and WFH is a big bonus with extending the life of the vehicle and lower property tax.

If I game this out, and with the lack of new car sales, and the revenue those sales generate in yearly property taxes, we should all expect a large increase in county property taxes to correct the imbalance.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait until the national mileage tax hits.

FJB.
View Quote

Is it fanatsy to think they would rescind gas taxes and readjust with the mileage tax?  I know.  Lol.  Double tax us.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#4]
People hated the car tax so much Gilmore got elected and managed to.get it reduced pretty well.  New car prices are such that the car tax as an annual item is insane,.but no locality is giving it without the ability to collect local income tax
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't forget about the "Highway Use Fee" when you renew your tags either.

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Tax wise, it's still cheaper to live in VA than in MD or DC. When you figure the difference in state income taxes (add in the county "piggy-back" tax for MD) and all the other taxes (gasoline, liquor, etc.) Virginia comes out a little better.
Not much, mind you. But a bit better.

Virginia is a long way from being perfect. But in the DC metropolitan area, it's still the best place to live.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tax wise, it's still cheaper to live in VA than in MD or DC. When you figure the difference in state income taxes (add in the county "piggy-back" tax for MD) and all the other taxes (gasoline, liquor, etc.) Virginia comes out a little better.

Virginia is a long way from being perfect. But in the DC metropolitan area, it's still the best place to live.
View Quote

And you can always take a small crowd of adults into Washingtoon, DC and take advantage of the lower liquor prices.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#8]
And the best part is, you can't even get into the DMV in a reasonable amount of time to register a vehicle so you can have the yearly privilege of being screwed on the property taxes. I tried to schedule a visit last week after getting the emissions testing and inspections done, and the earliest date available, even if I was willing to drive an hour each way, was Sept 16th. That is nuts.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
And the best part is, you can't even get into the DMV in a reasonable amount of time to register a vehicle so you can have the yearly privilege of being screwed on the property taxes. I tried to schedule a visit last week after getting the emissions testing and inspections done, and the earliest date available, even if I was willing to drive an hour each way, was Sept 16th. That is nuts.
View Quote

Virginia... the Bend Over Here It Comes Again State.

Link Posted: 8/17/2021 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I lived in MD a long time. My income tax bill in VA is slightly lower, my car tax bill is much higher, and my property taxes are much, much higher in VA. VA does have lower utility and insurance costs, which offsets the higher taxes somewhat. Also, Maryland doesn't have a meals tax.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I lived in MD a long time. My income tax bill in VA is slightly lower, my car tax bill is much higher, and my property taxes are much, much higher in VA. VA does have lower utility and insurance costs, which offsets the higher taxes somewhat. Also, Maryland doesn't have a meals tax.
View Quote

A lot of that depends on where in VA you live. I'm in NW Loudoun. Our state income tax is lower than MD, and we have no "piggy back" tax added to that (60% in Frederick County, MD). We also have no meals tax outside of incorporated towns.

As an aside, if you're a homeowner, you might check out the rates for home insurance with Northern Neck Insurance. They sell only in VA, so your rates don't get affected by shit like hurricanes in FLA. My rate went from over $800/year with Travelers to about $400 with Northern Neck. I'm not a salesman, and get nothing for my recommendation.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Virginia was supposed to eliminate vehicle inspections........what happened?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#13]
The DMV commish has been there for years............If I was gov.......I would can him on the first day in office......but this guy stays.....on and on...........
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 5:02:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Just got my tax bill in the mail for the F250 I bought June 19th.  $750.  Not sure if that's for the half year I'll own it this year or for a year's worth of taxes.  Just looked at the amount and quickly laid it down on the table to catch my breath.  Trucks seem to depreciate way slower than cars so I guess I'll be paying these high bills for several years.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 7:44:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just got my tax bill in the mail for the F250 I bought June 19th.  $750.  Not sure if that's for the half year I'll own it this year or for a year's worth of taxes.  Just looked at the amount and quickly laid it down on the table to catch my breath.  Trucks seem to depreciate way slower than cars so I guess I'll be paying these high bills for several years.
View Quote

The way campbell county does tax is anything owned after Jan 1st of the year is taxed next year. I will look forward to paying the cheap tax on my wife's car we traded in mid Jan and look forward to the raping next year on her van we bought. Also campbell is very high on personal property tax and only allows 1 payment of course at christmas time.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

My county pro-rates it.  Buy a vehicle in July, and you'll get a tax bill in August for the remaining 6-months worth.  The rate also varies by county.  Live in the blue counties, and you get raped more.   My brand new 2016 Ram 3500 was less than $650 for the first full year.  

I'm keeping my head down.  Somehow, I haven't been billed for my new F350 for the past 3 years.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 8:30:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted: Also campbell is very high on personal property tax and only allows 1 payment of course at christmas time.
View Quote

Wow, that really sucks.  Ours is always due at the end of May.   Works out good, because whatever I get back in federal taxes goes into my savings for a couple months before going to the county.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wow, that really sucks.  Ours is always due at the end of May.   Works out good, because whatever I get back in federal taxes goes into my savings for a couple months before going to the county.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Also campbell is very high on personal property tax and only allows 1 payment of course at christmas time.

Yea, the other county and local city I believe do 2 payments a year, May and dec on personal property tax and the city allows 4 payments for real estate.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Virginia was supposed to eliminate vehicle inspections........what happened?
View Quote

DEMOCRATS HAPPENED - THANK FORMER GOVERNOR, NOW SENATOR WARNER
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a favorite of mine. I work in James City Co. Because of sales (7%) and meals tax. Eating out is 11%.

I do love getting the car tax this time of year and it being due by around Christmas. It's like a gift to the county.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

FJB.
View Quote

We already have a surcharge to register smaller cars that get better mileage.
Got pinged by it on my 2015 Cruze.
Still cheaper than driving my Tahoe around town for groceries though.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

FJB.
View Quote

Virginia already has an extra tax on better mileage vehicles.
My Cruze 4-door gets hit for$20 or $30 extra.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top