Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2020 11:55:35 AM EDT
I live in Florida, I spend summers in CT. Can I fly with a gun into Bradley (following TSA protocols)? I do not have a CT pistol permit (I am working on it currently). I never questioned that it is not allowed until I saw a video of law-abiding citizens being arrested for flying into NY with a firearm and the other person with just an unloaded magazine! The state was trying to charge them with a felony... Don't want that to be me

If anyone can refer to state laws that say this is allowed or isn't that would be great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xs_jrnmwoU
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I live in Florida, I spend summers in CT. Can I fly with a gun into Bradley (following TSA protocols)? I do not have a CT pistol permit (I am working on it currently). I never questioned that it is not allowed until I saw a video of law-abiding citizens being arrested for flying into NY with a firearm and the other person with just an unloaded magazine! The state was trying to charge them with a felony... Don't want that to be me

If anyone can refer to state laws that say this is allowed or isn't that would be great!
View Quote

Would probably depend on if you own a home here or if you are a part time resident!
I would say that you would not be legal without a permit.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Also read up on the awb.  

With as easy as it is to get a nonres permit. It should be no brainer  to any gun person that comes to CT alot.  

Make sure you land @ Bradley, shouldn't be an issue.
Can always ship it to yourself as well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can I fly with a gun into Bradley
View Quote

I mean...does your gun have wings and an engine...if not I think you'd need to use a plane to fly into Bradley.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyways, sorry about being a dick.

Don't bring in a magazine over 10 rounds for sure, and I don't think CT recognizes any other states carry permits.  Residents can posses guns in their homes without carry permits, but if you're a non-resident definitely look into all the laws since if you're staying in the state it's probably not good under freedom of transportation.  Once you get your non-resident CT permit then you are fine as long as you comply with the AWB laws and normal TSA transportation laws.  Permit is for carrying pistols and revolvers...so might not be a big deal if you are asking about bringing in a long gun?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your problem, if wanting to bring a handgun into CT, is that without a valid CT pistol permit you cannot legally carry that handgun in CT. There are certain narrow exceptions to this carry prohibition. The next legal issue is transporting that handgun while within this state once you land at Bradly. There is a very narrow carve out for certain activities when it comes to having a handgun in a vehicle without a valid CT pistol permit. It is a toss up what will happen once you leave CT through Bradly when you declare that firearm at the baggage check-in and don't have a valid CT carry permit. If one is not legal to have a firearm within a destination state, FOPA will not legally protect you while traveling from your home state to your destination.

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions.
Sec. 29-38. Weapons in vehicles. Penalty. Exceptions.

Since you cannot legally carry a handgun in CT (generally) without a permit and it is arguably illegal to bring the gun to CT and then drive from the airport with it just because you are visiting and not a CT resident. You may want to leave the handgun at home. Or you can roll the dice and bring it. Sucks but this state is generally not very friendly to non residents bringing in handguns without a valid CT pistol permit unless its for the few very narrow reasons allowed by law.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the good info... I am familiar with the assault weapons ban - I am actually from CT originally I go back pretty frequently, my parents live there.  I also hold a valid hunting and fishing license in ct... I am not looking to carry anything on me until I get my CT pistol permit of coarse. From what I remember hearing (does not make it a fact - please correct me if wrong) In CT if you do not have your pistol permit your gun needs to be locked in a hard case separate from the ammo which also needs to be locked in a hard case.

^ Thanks for bringing this to my attention, this is absolutely crazy, everyone who is a law-abiding citizen in CT should be pissed at this.  That is just pure tyranny!
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 8:11:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I remember hearing (does not make it a fact - please correct me if wrong) In CT if you do not have your pistol permit your gun needs to be locked in a hard case separate from the ammo which also needs to be locked in a hard case.
View Quote

The main problem (legally) is the statute covering weapons in vehicles indicates the only carve out for transporting a handgun without a valid CT pistol permit is this; "(D) any person while lawfully removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or from one residence to another," Don't know if visiting the state would qualify and allow one to fly in and keep the handgun at one location. If it doesn't then FOPA also wouldn't apply.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top