Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2021 7:27:59 PM EDT
My wife and I are supposed to be going to Vegas in January. I'm thinking of renting a car and having a desert drive one day.  Can I find some decent saguaros around Kingman or Wikieup or Lake Havasu, or do I need to head further South?  My wife is fascinated by them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Misread question.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:19:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Take 93 south from Las Vegas to Kingman, you will see all the cactus you could ever want.  Red Rock Canyon on the west side of LV is a cool drive also.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take 93 south from Las Vegas to Kingman, you will see all the cactus you could ever want.  Red Rock Canyon on the west side of LV is a cool drive also.
View Quote

Does that include Saguaro cacti, or just the other types?  Mrs. ASW insists on seeing big Saguaro at some point in her life.  She's declared it a bucket list item, and this Vegas trip is for her birthday.

Red Rock Canyon will probably go on the list.  We're already doing the Emerald Cove kayak trip.

Side note:  we're already booked for an afternoon at Battlefield Vegas
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:09:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Saguaro cactus are only native to the Sonoran Desert, below about 4000'.

Some saguaros in Wikieup, more in Wickenberg.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:15:11 AM EDT
[#5]
just keep driving south till you see one.

Its only 6 hours from Vegas to Phx
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:34:08 AM EDT
[#6]
real giants are really an awesome site to see, this one was really old, it fell over during a storm a few years back.

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:55:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, they start showing up in Wikieup, some of them are part of the road landscaping, but there are a few random ones off the highway.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:27:20 AM EDT
[#8]
There are some around Wikieup....not large ones, but they are in that area...you can see them on Google Street View along the highway.  If you go all the way south on 93 toward Wikenburg, you will see a large forest of Joshua Trees along the highway....about 20 minutes north of Wikenburg.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:32:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good lord, how slowly do you drive?  It's a 4.5hr trip, if you go with the flow of traffic...and by that, I mean 80mph or faster on Hwy 93.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want to be a hero with the bucket list, drive to Tucson and road-tour both Saguaro National monuments.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you want to be a hero with the bucket list, drive to Tucson and road-tour both Saguaro National monuments.
View Quote

then double down and hit Organ Pipe National Monument.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Good lord, how slowly do you drive?  It's a 4.5hr trip, if you go with the flow of traffic...and by that, I mean 80mph or faster on Hwy 93.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's no wonder that stretch of road is often referred to as one of the most dangerous roads in the US.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's no wonder that stretch of road is often referred to as one of the most dangerous roads in the US.
View Quote

The only dangerous cars I encounter are the one driving at 65mph who hold up 10-20 cars behind them.  I drive it at 80mph, and I get passed.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#14]
So we talked it over some more, and I think we're gonna stay in the Vegas area for this trip, then plan out a separate Arizona vacation for sometime in the future.  We're thinking that we'd like to fly into Phoenix, then check out Saguaro National Park, maybe Death Valley, maybe Sequoia National Park, maybe Dolan Springs park, maybe Lake Havasu, probably Sedona.  There's plenty for us to do in Arizona for a separate vacation, and I like the thought of getting away from the Missouri winter for a bit anyways.

Thanks for all the vacation planning tips!
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

also joshua trees and giant boulders on the wickieup to wickenberg road
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Late to the thread, but there are good ones about an hour away from Kingman, including easily accessed ones for pictures.

One of the other locals, Anthem of the Mind probably has GPS points for some, I'll send him a link
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Late to the thread, but there are good ones about an hour away from Kingman, including easily accessed ones for pictures.

One of the other locals, Anthem of the Mind probably has GPS points for some, I'll send him a link
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#18]
An hour southeast of Kingman on hwy 93 you’ll start to see the edge of their range in wikieup. That’s about as close as it gets to Vegas for natural range where you see more than a few. Plenty of nice planted landscape ones around Vegas.

Around wikieup there are Joshua trees intermingled with them, only place I know of where the symbols of the Mojave and Sonoran stand together.

Try Burro creek campground south of wikieup for a nice place to walk around and see them in the canyon. It’s almost the whole picturesque desert flora experience, saguaro, ocotillo, chollas of seemingly every kind.

34.533427  -113.432119

Traffic is moving fast here, but the pull offs before burro creek campground also are worth stopping at to look around.   Kaiser spring wash

34.580558   -113.494212

The further south you go, the more common they become. They are pretty thick around wickenburg.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So we talked it over some more, and I think we're gonna stay in the Vegas area for this trip, then plan out a separate Arizona vacation for sometime in the future.  We're thinking that we'd like to fly into Phoenix, then check out Saguaro National Park, maybe Death Valley, maybe Sequoia National Park, maybe Dolan Springs park, maybe Lake Havasu, probably Sedona.  There's plenty for us to do in Arizona for a separate vacation, and I like the thought of getting away from the Missouri winter for a bit anyways.

Thanks for all the vacation planning tips!
View Quote

If memory serves, death valley is like an hour to 90 minutes from Vegas. Might as well do that when there. Long drive from here.

Eta ~ 2 hrs from Vegas vs 5.5 from PHX
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

Found some good ones the other day.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#21]

That there's a big dong cactus!  Where is that?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#22]
East of Yucca, northwestern AZ
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:59:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Looks like you are having the time of your life.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 12:13:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Looks like you are having the time of your life.
View Quote
I was leading a death march through the desert, babbling about rocks, minerals, and structural geology. My hungover, easily distracted, and outdoors unaware companions carried rock hammers and smashed things.

It was a good day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top