Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2022 11:11:10 PM EDT
We have to take my daughter to the medical city childrens cardiologist the last week of the month for heart surgery and was wondering where to stay and where not to stay in the area. Looks like it is around the Addison area if that helps.  Definitely appreciate any input
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
There’s a Courtyard an$ a Home2Suites in Addison as well as others. Praying your girl will get good treatment and heal up.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Medical City Children's Hospital is near 75 and 635. Addison is not far but not close either. The Westin Dallas Park Central is just down the street from the hospital. Be careful though, there are some shady hotels in that area.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a Doubletree a couple of miles south that is decent.  75 and Caruth Haven.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Assuming you would be at the main campus of Medical City in Dallas....Hampton Inn at the corner of Meadow and Central Expressway is a good one. When my parents come up from the Hill Country to visit their grandchild they like to stay there.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I've stayed at the Double Tree a couple of times over the years. It's nice. When I moved back to Dallas 18 years ago, our house was in limbo, so we got a room there. I didn't trust the movers with my guns and they weren't staying in the car, so I loaded up what I had in a hanging garment bag and hung it on the luggage cart. Put my hard cases on the bottom on the cart and wheeled it right through the lobby to my room. No questions asked.

I'm not sure you could do that now.

Are you sure it's Addison? Medical City is in North Dallas at 75 and Forest Ave. I saw the new section of the hospital last week, I'm assuming you're going to be at the building on the east side of Hwy75. DO NOT STAY anywhere in that neighborhood east of 75. That area on Forest around Greenville and Abrams isn't as nice as it used to be. I know there are some motels there, usually a few murders every year, don't stay there.

That intersection of 75 and Forest is covered up in homeless panhandlers.

I think you'd be ok grabbing breakfast at the Whataburger where you can watch your car there, but it's not that nice anymore. On the west side of 75, it's better. Just down from the hospital is Cyndi's Deli. You won't have issues there. Breakfast, lunch and light dinner. Not too expensive. 11111 North Central Expressway, Ste G, Dallas, TX 75243 - be sure to get your daughter a cherry or cheese danish or strudel.

Further down is Norma's Diner. 9100 N Central Expy, Caruth Plaza east of 75 at Park lane, Dallas, TX 75231-5922 Safe but pay attnetion anywhere you go. Even Northpark Mall has gotten more sketch over the years. Across from NorthPark is a nice grocery store, bookstore and a couple of more expensive restaurants. Trader Joe's at Meadow and 75 = Cheap cut flowers.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Appreciate all the help as that is what I was looking for was insider advice, the one we were looking was the holiday inn express (north Dallas at Preston) it is west of 75 and on the corner of 289 and 635

Yes we will be at the main campus and be up there for 2 to 3 nights if all goes well, just don’t want to come out and my jeep is missing or broken into
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Valet parking may be your only bet at the hospital. My kid's pediatric doctor was there, I think you could self park, but they would valet for $5 (? I think, it was cheap) and park it in the garage. When I had kids in car seats and strollers, it was worth it. So plan accordingly if you know what I mean. Don't leave anything in your car that isn't locked down.

I was in Baylor Uptown hospital in February, small parking lot, valet was the only option. It was free but tipping was encouraged.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 1:17:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Some decent suggestions here.

Another option is to go north on 75 a few miles into Richardson. There are several hotels around Campbell Road and 75, which is a good area.

Praying for your daughter.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#9]
There's a Double Tree off 75 and Campbell. The puts you North of the hospital and the 75/ 635 Interchange. However, it is a straight shot on 75 both directions.

Prayers for your little girl!
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've stayed at the Double Tree a couple of times over the years. It's nice. When I moved back to Dallas 18 years ago, our house was in limbo, so we got a room there. I didn't trust the movers with my guns and they weren't staying in the car, so I loaded up what I had in a hanging garment bag and hung it on the luggage cart. Put my hard cases on the bottom on the cart and wheeled it right through the lobby to my room. No questions asked.

I'm not sure you could do that now.

Are you sure it's Addison? Medical City is in North Dallas at 75 and Forest Ave. I saw the new section of the hospital last week, I'm assuming you're going to be at the building on the east side of Hwy75. DO NOT STAY anywhere in that neighborhood east of 75. That area on Forest around Greenville and Abrams isn't as nice as it used to be. I know there are some motels there, usually a few murders every year, don't stay there.

That intersection of 75 and Forest is covered up in homeless panhandlers.

I think you'd be ok grabbing breakfast at the Whataburger where you can watch your car there, but it's not that nice anymore. On the west side of 75, it's better. Just down from the hospital is Cyndi's Deli. You won't have issues there. Breakfast, lunch and light dinner. Not too expensive. 11111 North Central Expressway, Ste G, Dallas, TX 75243 - be sure to get your daughter a cherry or cheese danish or strudel.

Further down is Norma's Diner. 9100 N Central Expy, Caruth Plaza east of 75 at Park lane, Dallas, TX 75231-5922 Safe but pay attnetion anywhere you go. Even Northpark Mall has gotten more sketch over the years. Across from NorthPark is a nice grocery store, bookstore and a couple of more expensive restaurants. Trader Joe's at Meadow and 75 = Cheap cut flowers.

View Quote

This is all right on.  Mattido's is across the street from the hospital.  Ask for the RC Slocum dip.

I hope everything goes well for your daughter.  its a good hospital and a great cardiac hospital from what ive heard.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for going north a bit up to Richardson. The already mentioned Double Tree off 75 and Campbell is a good pick. Plenty of restaurants around and a decent area.

Prayers for your daughter - we actually had our daughter's PDA fixed by the cardiology team at medical city. You are in good hands.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#12]
It might be worth looking into Ronald McDonald House. It’s near Children’s hospital, which isn’t terribly far from but also not particularly close to medical city. Potential upside would be resources and networking with other families in similar situations.

My sister in law stayed at the RMH in Michigan when my nephew had heart surgery and had a great experience.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I stay around TI east of Central Expy since I have Marriott rewards. There's also a LaQuinta near Meadow Central and they used to allow pets.

Prayers for your daughter.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Just wanted to update and let everyone know she came out of surgery and dr said she will be 100% in about a week to have her rest up

Also wanted to thank everybody for the recommendations everything worked out great and had some delicious food so thanks again
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Great to hear! Take care of her, they grow up quick.

My daughter was a preemie baby, 4lbs 2oz. High risk pregnancy, lots of tearful and anxious doctor appointments, 2 weeks in the NICU.

Tomorrow I'm taking her sight seeing at A&M, she finishes high school in a few weeks, she's already accepted with scholarships.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just wanted to update and let everyone know she came out of surgery and dr said she will be 100% in about a week to have her rest up

Also wanted to thank everybody for the recommendations everything worked out great and had some delicious food so thanks again
View Quote
That's great news! Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fantastic news.  Good to read, OP.  We really do have some of the very best docs in this area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top