Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2023 1:27:22 AM EDT
Anyone know if they require ID to purchase non-FFL items?
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 6:48:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Not in my experience.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#2]
You mean like jerky and socks?
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Thx
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Huh?  Why would they?
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You mean like jerky and socks?
View Quote

Sure.

But also ... about 5 years ago a friend traveled to TX on business. He paid cash for an inert piece of plastic designed to help him stabilize an ar while shooting. He handed 2 C notes to the cashier, who asked for his name and phone. He provided inaccurate information. The cashier asked for his id.  He explained his traveler status and informed that it was in his luggage at the hotel. He then stated that he is unclear why it is required for the purchase. The cashier simply repeated the request. He stated that he would like to cancel the transaction. The cashier said no. He repeated, more confidently, "I do not want to exchange legal tender for a legal product. Please return my money." The cashier stated that anyone who refused to complete the transaction would be treated as a bad faith purchaser and reported. He waked out of the store and got into the Uber.

I told him he might not regret that experience. Fast forward to 2023 and I asked if he recalls the best $200 he ever wasted. In Minecraft.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Huh?  Why would they?
View Quote

Because stupid is increasingly contagious.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 11:32:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sure.

But also ... about 5 years ago a friend traveled to TX on business. He paid cash for an inert piece of plastic designed to help him stabilize an ar while shooting. He handed 2 C notes to the cashier, who asked for his name and phone. He provided inaccurate information. The cashier asked for his id.  He explained his traveler status and informed that it was in his luggage at the hotel. He then stated that he is unclear why it is required for the purchase. The cashier simply repeated the request. He stated that he would like to cancel the transaction. The cashier said no. He repeated, more confidently, "I do not want to exchange legal tender for a legal product. Please return my money." The cashier stated that anyone who refused to complete the transaction would be treated as a bad faith purchaser and reported. He waked out of the store and got into the Uber.

I told him he might not regret that experience. Fast forward to 2023 and I asked if he recalls the best $200 he ever wasted. In Minecraft.
View Quote
Perhaps the C-note was the issue and not the item purchased?

They didn't ask for ID when I bought Pmags there a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Some big box stores ask for ID when purchasing ammo. I know Dunhams, Fleet Farm & Walmart also do. I was told it's an age verification thing, and the cash registers will not proceed without the entering of a D.O.B. ... but I also was told that ILL residents must show a FOID card to buy ammo. I've never had to show ID for any other firearm related items, like barrels, stocks, magazines etc. When I buy ammo at Fleet Farm, I watch what the clerk does when I show my I.D. ... clerk enters my D.O.B. into the cash register.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure.

We discussed that possibility (counterfeiting) as well as an attempt at theft by the cashier herself. This guy is globally well-traveled and I've seen him read a room full of CEOs then walk next door and read a room full of interns. Possible. But unlikely.

I also asked if she seemed nervous and there were 'military age males' loitering and watching. He didn't understand [eye roll]. It is possible the Ass To Fkrs were watching that specific ffl. If so, even better 'waste' of $200
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Some big box stores ask for ID when purchasing ammo. I know Dunhams, Fleet Farm & Walmart also do. I was told it's an age verification thing, and the cash registers will not proceed without the entering of a D.O.B. ... but I also was told that ILL residents must show a FOID card to buy ammo. I've never had to show ID for any other firearm related items, like barrels, stocks, magazines etc. When I buy ammo at Fleet Farm, I watch what the clerk does when I show my I.D. ... clerk enters my D.O.B. into the cash register.  

View Quote

Thx
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I've only heard of that for buying ammo and fishing/game licenses.  Younger looking people may get it for buying BB, airsoft, air guns, and pepper spray.

Cabelas and Bass Pro do ask for your phone number.  Give it to them, or not, however you see fit.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've only heard of that for buying ammo and fishing/game licenses.  Younger looking people may get it for buying BB, airsoft, air guns, and pepper spray.

Cabelas and Bass Pro do ask for your phone number.  Give it to them, or not, however you see fit.
View Quote

Thx
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I was just in this store on Wednesday.
It was around 1pm and the store was deserted. It was awesome, usually Cabela's is pretty busy.
The only thing I found weird was that almost all the MagPul stuff had security tags on it.
Ammo out in the open but a $40 plastic stock had a security alarm on it.

Oh and no ID required at checkout. Didn't even ask my phone number, just whether I was a club member or not.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was just in this store on Wednesday.
It was around 1pm and the store was deserted. It was awesome, usually Cabela's is pretty busy.
The only thing I found weird was that almost all the MagPul stuff had security tags on it.
Ammo out in the open but a $40 plastic stock had a security alarm on it.

Oh and no ID required at checkout. Didn't even ask my phone number, just whether I was a club member or not.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/22764/IMG_5578_jpeg-2714154.JPG
View Quote

Thanks. And great pic!
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe ammo?  Thats about it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I know Dunhams, .....  also do

View Quote

I've bought ammo twice in the last 6 months at the Rice Lake location and no ID was necessary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top