Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2022 5:25:23 PM EDT
The subject line says it all.

My buddy's all in a twist because the denial letter from SLED supposedly says that if appealed and denied that SLED's decision is final (duh) but he's interpreting this to read "if we deny your appeal you can never be issued a CWP".

I don't think that's exactly the case. What will have to happen in all likelihood is that he will have to take the CWP class over again hopefully with someone reputable.

I told him that he needs to contact Shooter's Choice so that they'll shitcan the instructor from their premises either permanently or until he can prove that his credentials are legit and in the meantime I also told my friend to demand a refund from his original instructor and to take him to small claims court if he refuses.

This should serve as a reminder to seek CWP instruction from a REPUTABLE SOURCE. On a final note a CWP instructor knows damn well if his credentials with SLED are current.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes that would constitute Fraud IMHO.  They should offer either a refund or expedite a free replacement class to the injured parties.  Sorry that happened to him.  It's tough to give up free time for the class and far worse to know the time was for naught.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
SLED is known to audit CWP classes and to arrest instructors who teach with invalid credentials and/or who "rubber stamp" students as in just sign off without teaching them anything

There's a solution to all this: constitutional carry now!
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The good news is that SLED no longer requires 8 hours of training. If I was the business involved, I would do a 15 minute review, retest, and re-qualify with free ammo.  

Proficiency  would have been demonstrated, twice. Hopefully, everyone would leave satisfied.

Edit: I’m kind of surprised to see that kind of oversight at Shooters Choice.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#4]
That sucks for your friend, the instructor and Shooters Choice need to make this right for them.

In case you are interested, SLED publishes lists of valid instructors by city and via a search.

Would be interesting if the invalid instructor is still on the list or not.

Here are the links

https://www.sled.sc.gov/forms/regulatory/CWPInstructorsForWeb.pdf

http://services.sled.sc.gov/CWPInstructorsWeb/Default.aspx
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
On a final note a CWP instructor knows damn well if his credentials with SLED are current.
View Quote

Only if you pay attention to your instructor cert and card from SLED.

Otherwise.  A year or four go by and you realize SLED hasn't sent a letter with only two weeks notice of mandatory in-service meetings with all the local dates completely booked and you haven't driven a 4-hour roundtrip on your dime to stay current.    Oh, and you haven't received a call for 6-8 months, on a phone number SLED said they weren't publishing, from a prospective student informing you that you must train them this weekend because you are employed by the State of SC as a CWP instructor and are duty-bound to support the Second Amendment.  

Another to Constitutional Carry.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The good news is that SLED no longer requires 8 hours of training. If I was the business involved, I would do a 15 minute review, retest, and re-qualify with free ammo.  

Proficiency  would have been demonstrated, twice. Hopefully, everyone would leave satisfied.

Edit: I’m kind of surprised to see that kind of oversight at Shooters Choice.
View Quote

Do you have  more info on this?
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The good news is that SLED no longer requires 8 hours of training.
View Quote

When did this happen? Is this part of the open carry bill signed into law? Or is this SLED changing the requirements?

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Give me a minute to look it up. SLED changed the 8 hour requirement several years ago.

I’m posting from my phone at work, but 23-31-210 lists the requirements. Notice that “proof of training” no longer says 8 hours.

In would argue that, under these circumstances, a person who completed  an approved lesson plan, and qualifies with a current instructor, could be processed fairly quickly, without circumventing the law.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Instructor memo, 2014.

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top