Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2022 10:02:21 PM EDT
I'm questioning whether to build a 556 upper with a 12.5 inch or 16 inch barrel given the upcoming ATF Pistol Brace Ruling and score card.  If I go 12.5" what is the cost for a trust to register as SBR if it becomes inevitable?  If I don't register it as an SBR do I just drop the barrel off at the ATF?  What options are there if the courts don't support Others?

What's the worst case and best case scenario?  Hopefully, my post is not redundant.  Let me know if there are any organizations building legal funds to combat this b.s. so I can send a check.  Who has the best track record in court?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm questioning whether to build a 556 upper with a 12.5 inch or 16 inch barrel given the upcoming ATF Pistol Brace Ruling and score card.  If I go 12.5" what is the cost for a trust to register as SBR if it becomes inevitable?  If I don't register it as an SBR do I just drop the barrel off at the ATF?  What options are there if the courts don't support Others?

What's the worst case and best case scenario?  Hopefully, my post is not redundant.  Let me know if there are any organizations building legal funds to combat this b.s. so I can send a check.  Who has the best track record in court?

Thanks in advance!
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#2]
If braces become outlawed - just take it off.  It's still an "other" without the brace...
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If braces become outlawed - just take it off.  It's still an "other" without the brace...
View Quote

My understanding is that an Other fails to be an other without  the Brace and becomes a Pistol?  Can anyone clarify that?
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#4]
In CT it's based on barrel length. An "other" is simply a "firearm" that has the additional requirement of having a barrel length over 12". For an AR platform it means that unless you want to get into pin/weld territory, your barrel must be at least 12" long and you cannot use a stock.

So, if you take off the brace, it's still in compliance with CT restrictions as written.

That is the VERY simple version.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In CT it's based on barrel length. An "other" is simply a "firearm" that has the additional requirement of having a barrel length over 12". For an AR platform it means that unless you want to get into pin/weld territory, your barrel must be at least 12" long and you cannot use a stock.

So, if you take off the brace, it's still in compliance with CT restrictions as written.

That is the VERY simple version.
View Quote
This. And don't go out of your way to comply with laws or rulings that have not even come to be yet. Might as well sell all your guns if you want to make them extra happy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]
its hard to register an "other" as an SBR in CT...because you cannot unless your exempt. doing so, that would make a "AW", according to ct laws.
it needs to stay in "other"/"firearm" category.

with no way to register as SBR, possibly one could AOW it to maybe remain safe with the brace removed while keeping a short OAL, and barrel length.

im under the impression that even with the brace removed, it would still be a SBR. i could be wrong, but i thought there was words explaining with OAL being a factor even without a brace? its been a while since i read the proposed ATF rule.

this whole thing made me get a preban colt and form1 SBR it last year. i dont need to deal with anymore brace bullshit, if i need to do something, ill figure it out when it happens. i did get pistol receiver extensions if i need to remove the brace.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This. And don't go out of your way to comply with laws or rulings that have not even come to be yet. Might as well sell all your guns if you want to make them extra happy.
View Quote

I'm trying to make smart choices and be prepared that's all.  If I had to do a form 1 than I would want to setup a trust in advance.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance!
View Quote

You will need an aw cert to make an sbr. You can’t get an aw cert unless you are of the entitled class- so , forget the whole sbr thing as you will be denied…. Unless you have an aw cert from Dps.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You will need an aw cert to make an sbr. You can’t get an aw cert unless you are of the entitled class- so , forget the whole sbr thing as you will be denied…. Unless you have an aw cert from Dps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your expertise!  I know I can take your reply as Gospel, I've surfed the Hometown CT thread for over 15 years.  I guess we'll just have to see how see how everything plays out...
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:52:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thought I read elsewhere that peasants (i.e. non exempted persons) with prebans could get the AW cert to make an SBR. One could always just call Deirdre and ask what are the specific requirements since she seems to be pretty much the only go-to person at SLFU on the AW cert thing (and other issues). God help us all if she is no longer there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:40:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:In CT it's based on barrel length. An "other" is simply a "firearm" that has the additional requirement of having a barrel length over equal to or greater than 12".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:In CT it's based on barrel length. An "other" is simply a "firearm" that has the additional requirement of having a barrel length over equal to or greater than 12".

But, yes.

Quoted:God help us all if she is no longer there.

Indeed! She's the only state employee I have saved into my contacts
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thought I read elsewhere that peasants (i.e. non exempted persons) with prebans could get the AW cert to make an SBR. One could always just call Deirdre and ask what are the specific requirements since she seems to be pretty much the only go-to person at SLFU on the AW cert thing (and other issues). God help us all if she is no longer there.
View Quote

Nutter has good info and you can trust his advice.

Prebans can get a certificate. They are still good to go here.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks for your expertise!  I know I can take your reply as Gospel, I've surfed the Hometown CT thread for over 15 years.  I guess we'll just have to see how see how everything plays out...
View Quote

It will play out exactly like I said- you will not get a cert! Lots of knowledge here, you just have to listen
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

No aw certs for others….! Sorry that is the way it’s is.
From the gospel of ctdps

Preban non banned by name or type is gtg and you can get cert
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 6:33:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just keep the brace off of it if you are worried. Like mentioned you wont be able to SBR it without a cert from the state. That is an atf requirement only special for ct. To get the cert it must have been done back in 13 or a pre ban.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#16]
An other without a brace is still an other. It's still not "designed to be fired from the shoulder". It would be a pipe dream to think the state would grandfather others to be registered as AW's if the ATF passes the brace law but a guy can dream.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
An other without a brace is still an other. It's still not "designed to be fired from the shoulder". It would be a pipe dream to think the state would grandfather others to be registered as AW's if the ATF passes the brace law but a guy can dream.
View Quote

That was in the legislation but was then omitted from the bill. I don’t put anything past them. the more things they attempt to fix ……
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top