Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2019 5:01:15 AM EDT
Quick Question I just picked up a Standard manufacturing Ct-Other. I would like to remove the forward grip but I'm not sure if I can legally. Does anyone no what the law on the foward grip is?
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 7:09:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Removing the forward grip would make it a no go for CT.
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info forward grip of some sort will stay on .
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep in mind, it must be essentially vertical. Can't do something like the magpul AFG. It's a grey area, but that's the generally held belief. Similar to how a filled in gap between pistol grip and stock makes it not a pistol grip...

I keep looking at one of them in 308 or 6.5CM, I wanted an AR10 but didn't make it happen before the ban. It's tempting.
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep in mind, it must be essentially vertical. Can't do something like the magpul AFG. It's a grey area, but that's the generally held belief. Similar to how a filled in gap between pistol grip and stock makes it not a pistol grip...

I keep looking at one of them in 308 or 6.5CM, I wanted an AR10 but didn't make it happen before the ban. It's tempting.
View Quote
I bought a stag 10 other custom built. had it built with a 6mm creedmoor barrel, had them install a stubby vertical foregrip and I am still able to install a bipod and sba3 so it shoots nice from a bench.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I bought a stag 10 other custom built. had it built with a 6mm creedmoor barrel, had them install a stubby vertical foregrip and I am still able to install a bipod and sba3 so it shoots nice from a bench.
View Quote
Yup, this is what I'm thinking. Sometimes I see them in 6.5 already built too. Shorty vertical, room for a bipod and I can use it offhand or off the bench or prone. It's not ideal, I'd much rather have a PRS or an E-Mod and I'm not a huge fan of verticals but can certainly make it work. It's the $1500 price tag that has me not jumping. Not so much that it's too high, just that right now I'm not putting $1500 into additional firearms. If I do a single $1500 purchase it'd be night vision. I'm focused on gaps in my ammo supply, lights, slings, practice... I say slings, but really it's "all the little misc soft goods I've skimped on the past few years".  My last firearm purchase was a P320 a couple months ago and I'm still getting holsters sorted out and such. Love the pistol, but it is a new platform for me.
Add in wanting to do a second F1 suppressor...

ETA:
Just had a thought while shopping for a new Glock slide setup. Is there any particular reason I can't buy, build, and at this point register a serial number for, a P80 308 lower and build it as an other? That way I can more cost effectively build up what I want. I'll still have to stay within the "other" lines but I can at least have the whole range of options within those guidelines.
Obviously I'd have to get a serial number and all that jazz, but can you do that with an "other" via an 80% lower still or is there some snag in the new laws?
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 2:48:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Removing the forward grip would make it a no go for CT.
View Quote
The fore grip is only there to satisfy federal law. It has no bearing on state definitions.
A 12.5 AR without a fore grip is federally a pistol yet still a CT other.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

ETA:
Just had a thought while shopping for a new Glock slide setup. Is there any particular reason I can't buy, build, and at this point register a serial number for, a P80 308 lower and build it as an other? That way I can more cost effectively build up what I want. I'll still have to stay within the "other" lines but I can at least have the whole range of options within those guidelines.
Obviously I'd have to get a serial number and all that jazz, but can you do that with an "other" via an 80% lower still or is there some snag in the new laws?
View Quote
I would not do that unless you have a 07 FFL.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:
You don't need a manufacturing license to build a personal firearm.
You won't be able to buy a P80 308 lower unless it already has a serial assigned to it and it's transferred on a DPS-3-C, per DESPP-0419-C (PA19-6, 29-36 Sec.5)
Within 30 days, of the receivers completion, you'll complete portion 2 of the DESPP-0419-C. This is where I'd check "Other".
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You won't be able to buy a P80 308 lower unless it already has a serial assigned to it and it's transferred on a DPS-3-C, per DESPP-0419-C (PA19-6, 29-36 Sec.5)
Within 30 days, of the receivers completion, you'll complete portion 2 of the DESPP-0419-C. This is where I'd check "Other".
View Quote
Thanks. If I decide to pursue that, the info will save me a lot of research time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
So why wont any FFLs transfer a completed new receiver? Once he mills it out, it would be the same thing. At best an extremely grey area.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted: So why wont any FFLs transfer a completed new receiver? Once he mills it out, it would be the same thing. At best an extremely grey area.
View Quote
I can't say why an FFL won't, but, in the case of an 80% receiver, the state's form shows it will specifically allow them. Once it's milled out, it's on the owner, not the dealer.
Does anyone sell an 80%, that's already serialized?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can't say why an FFL won't, but, in the case of an 80% receiver, the state's form shows it will specifically allow them. Once it's milled out, it's on the owner, not the dealer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: So why wont any FFLs transfer a completed new receiver? Once he mills it out, it would be the same thing. At best an extremely grey area.
Site sponsor Right to Bear will pre-serialize for you
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will any shops finish and build for you, or accept a finished serialized and build?
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Will any shops finish and build for you, or accept a finished serialized and build?
View Quote
Yea a few shops will just have to ask. There will be a “builder” fee though if I remember correctly
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Gun Store in Waterbury will--if you provide all the parts, they charge a $299 administrative fee to run it through their books plus whatever labor they add on.  You can also just tell them what you want and they'll procure the parts and add some form of markup onto the total (I believe it's 20% to cover their federal excise taxes plus add some profit to keep the store going).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top