Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

CO/NoCo Battle Buddies (Page 1 of 4)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/16/2019 1:47:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12]
Anybody interested in copying the NoVa guys, and getting a group together that trains, shoots, practices, put gear to use, etc?

I guess it depends on location, but I am NoCo (ft collins is closest to me)

Anyone interested?

(Edited to bold thread title and tacked to top thedave1164)

So we officially have a location and date for medical training.

Lincoln Park Meeting Room in Lincoln Park Library - Greeley

1/18/2020 - 11:30 AM to 4:30 PM

I will @ people on the list, and if you want to join, reply "I'm in" so I can count you.

Also:

There is no charge. This is a free meet up.

If you want to pay, I am offering to set people up with a basic trauma kit (tourniquet [real cat tourniquet, which I've used, not some silly shoestring or latex thing], Israeli bandage, e blanket, compressed gauze, and a graphite pencil) for $30. I make no money on this. It's a basic blowout kit to get you started.

If you want this setup, let me know asap so I can get them ordered. This is by your word, which means if you want one, I'll order it out of my pocket and you pay for it at the meeting. Please dont ask for one if you wont have the money at the meeting.

We will cover:
Emergency medical basics (ABC's, scenarios)
Stop the bleed fundamentals
I might be able to snag a CPR dummy to play with.
We'll practice tourniquet application.

And any topic brought up in discussion.

Im open to suggestions.

Looking forward to a good group!

RSVP ASAP!
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I might be.

I don't have any gear though, just a few AR's, not even a battle belt

I take regular hikes in the mountains, but more for photography.  It would be fun to get a group together and shoot out at Pawnee or somewhere.  I am a member of the Front Range Gun Club in Loveland for indoor shooting.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in if someone organizes something.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Sixgunner45:
I might be.

I don't have any gear though, just a few AR's, not even a battle belt

I take regular hikes in the mountains, but more for photography.  It would be fun to get a group together and shoot out at Pawnee or somewhere.  I am a member of the Front Range Gun Club in Loveland for indoor shooting.
View Quote
Originally Posted By BEAST556:
I'm in if someone organizes something.
View Quote
@Sixgunner45

That's okay man! There is no requirements. Let's just get something set up. Maybe you'll learn something and get interested!

@BEAST556

I'll organize it if people are interested!
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 10:50:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PainKillaX] [#4]
I'd be interested depending on how my class load is at a given time. I'm a slow hiker but I can road march forever

I've been super interested recently in combat casualty care since--it's been a few years since my last CLS class, so if anyone had a lead on that front I'd be pretty eager.

I'm not too far outside Denver but I'd be willing to drive a bit.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PainKillaX:
I'd be interested depending on how my class load is at a given time. I'm a slow hiker but I can road march forever

I've been super interested recently in combat casualty care since--it's been a few years since my last CLS class, so if anyone had a lead on that front I'd be pretty eager.

View Quote
I'm an EMR with a lot of hands-on medical response. We can absolutely cover medical
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By pestilence12:

I'm an EMR with a lot of hands-on medical response. We can absolutely cover medical
View Quote
If we can keep it budget friendly I'm totally on board. Wife and I are back on "student budgets" and new home owners haha.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 12:39:49 AM EDT
[#7]

If we can keep it budget friendly I'm totally on board. Wife and I are back on "student budgets" and new home owners haha.
View Quote
@PainKillaX

No charge

Hah but seriously. This is a like-minded individual meet-up. If it's a medical training meet-up, or hiking a trail in gear, it doesn't matter.

Im down for whatever. I just want to group coloradans together.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Speaking of which. I'd be willing to do a medical training if there's interest
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 2:01:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm down for med practice. I'm in Greeley
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 2:23:27 AM EDT
[#10]
You can count me in depending on schedule (I’m a shift worker). Located in Colorado Springs but like to get off the front range as much as I can.

I might be able to dig some gear up for anyone missing stuff if we wanted to do some shooting. I’ve also got lesson plans for TCCC and SABC, I’ll power point you guys to death if you’d like.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SecurityForcesmember:
You can count me in depending on schedule (I’m a shift worker). Located in Colorado Springs but like to get off the front range as much as I can.

I might be able to dig some gear up for anyone missing stuff if we wanted to do some shooting. I’ve also got lesson plans for TCCC and SABC, I’ll power point you guys to death if you’d like.
View Quote
So we just need a central location to set a meeting point, and a topic. Sounds like there is a lot of interest in medical. I have some material and stuff we can play with, sounds like @SecurityForcesmember does too.

I also have a lot of extra equipment if we wanted to shoot or take our guns for a walk
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#12]

@PainKillaX

No charge

Hah but seriously. This is a like-minded individual meet-up. If it's a medical training meet-up, or hiking a trail in gear, it doesn't matter.

Im down for whatever. I just want to group coloradans together.
View Quote
No offense intended. I meant that very few things are free, training supplies included, and I have no expectations of someone else burning up all their gear on their dime for my benefit. I hope we are on the same page!
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#13]

So we just need a central location to set a meeting point, and a topic. Sounds like there is a lot of interest in medical. I have some material and stuff we can play with, sounds like @SecurityForcesmember does too.

I also have a lot of extra equipment if we wanted to shoot or take our guns for a walk
View Quote
Sent you a PM about a meeting place
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#14]

No offense intended. I meant that very few things are free, training supplies included, and I have no expectations of someone else burning up all their gear on their dime for my benefit. I hope we are on the same page!
View Quote
I'm with ya, I was mostly joking

I think I may set up med training with an optional buy in (small fee, 30 bucks or something) that will get people some gear they can take home
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Are there any CO members we could @ to get more attention to this? I was thinking of cross posting in GD to drive folks here too
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Are there any CO members we could @ to get more attention to this? I was thinking of cross posting in GD to drive folks here too
View Quote
You probably could.  I found this thread when I seen the thread in GD about Virginia and wondered if someone was starting on in the Hometown forums.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Interesting I may be in if something gets planned.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Yup, Brighton checking in. My weekends are fairly busy until January, but I would be interested.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Another Colorado Springs resident checking in, +1 on the medical training, that sounds like a great idea.

I have been working on getting in better shape, I can now walk about 8 miles in 1.75 hrs (2ish if I’m pushing my little bozo in the stroller). I’m guessing adding a pack will change that significantly

This is somewhat relevant to my current activities, as I am working towards doing some amateur radio stuff like Summits On The Air this next year. My portable station weighs about 9ish pounds with the battery.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By flynbenny:
Another Colorado Springs resident checking in, +1 on the medical training, that sounds like a great idea.

I have been working on getting in better shape, I can now walk about 8 miles in 1.75 hrs (2ish if I’m pushing my little bozo in the stroller). I’m guessing adding a pack will change that significantly

This is somewhat relevant to my current activities, as I am working towards doing some amateur radio stuff like Summits On The Air this next year. My portable station weighs about 9ish pounds with the battery.
View Quote
I'm liking this, I was going to try figuring out amateur radio come December, since I bought this dang Baofeng I was told would be banned.

I can teach...uh...how to wire your house for cable?
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:10:32 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
Qualify for the national ARFCOM Battle Buddy event and you will most certainly find opportunities to take CLS and TCCC classes.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Westminster here.

Medical and/or intro to ham radio would be cool.
(I know nothing about ham, but am starting to get interested)
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:26:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I’m only two-ish years into the amateur radio stuff but I have earned the highest license, and (hopefully) my bachelor’s in Electrical Engineering in a month. I think I can handle creating and teaching a technician course (the entry level license), including some details on programming what I have taken to calling “Universal Chinese Handhelds” or UCHs, I have a few.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By RockHard13F:

Qualify for the national ARFCOM Battle Buddy event and you will most certainly find opportunities to take CLS and TCCC classes.
View Quote
It would force me to start running again. I absolutely hate running. That was the best part of leaving the service. I could probably get back to a 13 minute 1.5 though.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Interested. I'm in Denver metro, willing to travel on weekends to meet up.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:53:34 PM EDT
[#26]
It would force me to start running again. I absolutely hate running. That was the best part of leaving the service. I could probably get back to a 13 minute 1.5 though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RockHard13F:

You can always substitute the swim for the run.

Or shoot a 70% or better in a service rifle match!

Join ussss...
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 1:37:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd be interested for sure, especially group shooting stuff and med training. Dont have any gear except guns bit training is always a good idea.

I'm in the greeley area as well.

Meet ups for me just depend on whats happening that day as I have a wife and 4yo daughter at home so most of my time is devoted to them
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#28]
If anyone in the greater Colorado Springs area is interested, I'm game.  I'm out towards the Calhan area and have a small range in my backyard
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 10:27:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#29]
I'm working on some dates and topics and stuff at this time.

I'd like to try and get a hike in before Christmas, but I know that's a hard time for everyone due to holidays and family and such (it is for me as well). Plus the weather can be really unpredictable.

I'm strongly considering a medical meet-up in January. It's cold as F usually and an indoor activity would probably be best.

Here's what I'm thinking:

- Date: TBD

- Topics: Basic Emergency Response, Stop the Bleed, and any topics that may come up during discussion.

- NOTE: This would not be a Certification course. I do not have the ability to sign as an instructor (although this is something I'm looking into, as I am already half way to instructor anyways). This meetup would be to get people some basic information on life-saving techniques that everyone should know.

- Cost: I don't want to charge for the meeting, to keep it open to all. I am donating my time so that we CBB (Colorado Battle Buddies) have information that can save lives. HOWEVER, if you want to leave the meeting with some gear you can take home, I can get a person some IFAK ingredients (tourniquet, compressed gauze, shears, Israeli bandage, and an emergency blanket) for $30. You'd need to get a bag to put them in. I make no money off this, it would be something for you guys, to get you gear that I have used and trust.

If you are interested in coming, @ me and reply "in" so I can keep track. Also, if you want a kit, PM me so I can make a list for that too.

I have at least 4 personal kits we can tear apart and take a look at.

I also have training tourniquets we can mess with.

I can see if I can get my hands on some laminated quick reference cards to give everyone too.

I know Greeley is kinda far for some, but it seems mostly central to us (2 hour drive for me, 2 hour drive for Springs guys, about an hour for Denver folk, etc)

Lets get this going!
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm in as long as it is on a weekend. Will probly bring my daughter if that is cool. I will keep an eye on this thread.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By BEAST556:
I'm in as long as it is on a weekend. Will probly bring my daughter if that is cool. I will keep an eye on this thread.
View Quote
Yep family and friends are welcome!

I'll announce a date as we get closer. It will be a weekend for sure.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Zach540:
If anyone in the greater Colorado Springs area is interested, I'm game.  I'm out towards the Calhan area and have a small range in my backyard
View Quote
You’re down the road from me. Cool!
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I’m only two-ish years into the amateur radio stuff but I have earned the highest license, and (hopefully) my bachelor’s in Electrical Engineering in a month. I think I can handle creating and teaching a technician course (the entry level license), including some details on programming what I have taken to calling “Universal Chinese Handhelds” or UCHs, I have a few.
View Quote
I’ve got a few Baofeng hand helps that I don’t Tx on but learning how to program NOAA stuff as presets would be awesome!
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#34]
@pestilence12

I’m in depending on the date. It’s a hair under 2 hours.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 9:23:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: blownfour] [#35]
May or may not be able to make this first meet but definitely interested in this idea and would love to make it out to some of these.

Edit: I am in the south Denver metro
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#37]
In loveland.  Count me in as long as my school load is handled. I may not be a smart man, but I know a thing or two about a lot of things...
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#38]
In. Loveland. I’m kinda old but been shooting a little bit of 3 gun up here. I have tech license (HAM) And I used to know something about something.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:54:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flynbenny] [#39]
I was doing some thinking about the radio stuff.

One of my pet peeves, when engineering things is that often an idea becomes saddled with too many things and the original mission or object becomes loaded with other good things but not necessarily what it should (software has this happen frequently) be doing.

Hear me out for a bit...

My thinking is that comms are a pretty big deal, but maybe need to be handled under their own thing. Arfcom has a kick-ass ham forum, one of the things that drew me into it. So what I’m conjuring up is our own online tech course with a chinese radio programming element. I think it could be really powerful because it could be made with people who are experts in their little areas, and geared towards teaching some useful info and not just how to pass the (easy) test. It could used for everyone regardless of location, and maybe promote some uniform Arfcom radio training standards. I’m not opposed to teaching it live aka using some of y’all as the test students.

My thinking then is that folks would be ready and prepared to practice using their comm stuff on some hikes and other events, making it a useful thing to serve us while we are focused on what I understood the goal of the battle buddy idea is, things like improving and testing fitness and marksmanship as a group.

What do y’all think?
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:41:37 AM EDT
[#40]

One of my pet peeves, when engineering things is that often an idea becomes saddled with too many things and the original mission or object becomes loaded with other good things but not necessarily what it should (software has this happen frequently) be doing.

Hear me out for a bit...

My thinking is that comms are a pretty big deal, but maybe need to be handled under their own thing. Arfcom has a kick-ass ham forum, one of the things that drew me into it. So what I’m conjuring up is our own online tech course with a chinese radio programming element. I think it could be really powerful because it could be made with people who are experts in their little areas, and geared towards teaching some useful info and not just how to pass the (easy) test. It could used for everyone regardless of location, and maybe promote some uniform Arfcom radio training standards. I’m not opposed to teaching it live aka using some of y’all as the test students.

My thinking then is that folks would be ready and prepared to practice using their comm stuff on some hikes and other events, making it a useful thing to serve us while we are focused on what I understood the goal of the battle buddy idea is, things like improving and testing fitness and marksmanship as a group.

What do y’all think?
View Quote
Yes, definitely. I have no doubt that I'll be able to get the license fairly easy. Whether or not I can actually work a radio and find somebody to talk to is a different beast.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#41]

Hear me out for a bit...

What do y’all think?
View Quote
I'd think urban comms is more important, but I do live in the city, so I'm biased. I want to learn more about some of the apps that have crypto and I've heard about some apps that allow you to use your phone when the network is down. I have some of the small wakie talkies, but as most have found they don't work for shit usually.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Some alternative comms options would be good. I work in a lot of places with no cell service so options are appreciated
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Anybody in to lockpicking? I've always wanted to try. Maybe I'll have to learn and then I'll have something to share.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm western slope, but I may be able to make the drive depending on when
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Getting a date for the med meeting. Once that's confirmed, I'll make a separate thread for that meeting.

So far I have:

Sheddy
Bitmap
Wulf202
SecurityForcesmember
Kiltakaze
PainKillaX
blownfour
BEAST556 + 1
BootScootin
dedreckon
Riley1980
flynbenny
TheOx05
denverdan
Sixfunner45
stoner01
mjb

That's a pretty good crowd!

I have training TQ's we can play with.

I'd also like to do a radio meeting. I do not have a Beofang or whatever they're called, but I'd be interested in learning.

Once the weather starts to shape up (and the holidays pass) we can get some hiking/shooting going.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Anybody in to lockpicking? I've always wanted to try. Maybe I'll have to learn and then I'll have something to share.
View Quote
I was looking into this the last month just for curiosity.

I might be down to get together but I’m not running in full kit. Broke both of my ankles a few years ago so I don’t run. I’m up in northeastern Colorado. My on call schedule determines if I’m free or not.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm in, put me on the list. I'm in Douglas County.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By SFENDER:
I'm in, put me on the list. I'm in Douglas County.
View Quote
Added.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
CO/NoCo Battle Buddies (Page 1 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top