Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

CO/NoCo Battle Buddies (Page 2 of 4)
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 4:43:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lothbrok] [#1]
I'm in Broomfield, and I spend every weekend outdoors. Happy to get out with other folks.

I'm mainly into technical mountaineering and climbing (mainly ice and rock), but training hikes are always fun. Also down to get out and shoot stuff.

Also down to teach anyone how to climb. Lots of crossover applications for tactical stuff, too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 5:06:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FOGeologist] [#2]
In. Live in Frederick.

But am old, and weak. Don't want to get made fun of by tough, young Millennials.

ETA: Might be able to teach a class in reloading basics. Formal experience as a teacher!
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FOGeologist:
In. Live in Frederick.

But am old, and weak. Don't want to get made fun of by tough, young Millennials.

ETA: Might be able to teach a class in reloading basics. Formal experience as a teacher!
View Quote
Doesn't matter, the more the merrier!

Come to the Med Meeting in January!

I've been reloading for a while, always could learn more!
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FOGeologist:
In. Live in Frederick.

View Quote
I'm 42 myself, so not all that young.

Sounds like it might be pretty fun, and we can all learn something.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 10:20:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flynbenny] [#5]
Sounds good, let's throw an update in the original post or something when we get a dates for the med class or any other events. I did "stop the bleed" with UC Health, it was a worthwhile 30" of my life.

I will start working on developing my radio course. I am in the last 30 days of a very hard semester, so not a lot I can do at this moment. I can start hammering something together around Christmas. My idea is a slide deck that will be referenced to the FCC question bank, so those who don't have a license can easily study the test for a week or two before they go take it, I really like Ham Exam for practice, it took me from Technician, to General, to Extra. Everyone who attends will get a link to the slide deck or can download it at the class onto a thumb drive. Then when you take a practice exam, if you make a mistake, you can go re-read the relevant slide(s) and not make that mistake again.

My aim is to write the course so that it covers the exam material, but to "wrap the pill in a hotdog" (to use a dog metaphor) of actually useful information, not just dry technical boredom. I would prefer to teach people how to operate not just pass a test.

I don't have a date in mind yet, we'd need to get a rough headcount and find a place the right size. Might be good to do it in Feb or Mar, so that when the weather improves we can actually practice using our stuff.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Might as well give a shout out in here to my local shop, Windsor Armory, for the classes that they offer.  Ran by a former Army sniper and he offers LR, medical, and team courses among others.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By flynbenny:
Sounds good, let's throw an update in the original post or something when we get a dates for the med class or any other events. I did "stop the bleed" with UC Health, it was a worthwhile 30" of my life.

I will start working on developing my radio course. I am in the last 30 days of a very hard semester, so not a lot I can do at this moment. I can start hammering something together around Christmas. My idea is a slide deck that will be referenced to the FCC question bank, so those who don't have a license can easily study the test for a week or two before they go take it, I really like Ham Exam for practice, it took me from Technician, to General, to Extra. Everyone who attends will get a link to the slide deck or can download it at the class onto a thumb drive. Then when you take a practice exam, if you make a mistake, you can go re-read the relevant slide(s) and not make that mistake again.

My aim is to write the course so that it covers the exam material, but to "wrap the pill in a hotdog" (to use a dog metaphor) of actually useful information, not just dry technical boredom. I would prefer to teach people how to operate not just pass a test.

I don't have a date in mind yet, we'd need to get a rough headcount and find a place the right size. Might be good to do it in Feb or Mar, so that when the weather improves we can actually practice using our stuff.
View Quote
This would be great. I have been wanting to get my license.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I would definitely be in for a reloading class. I'm really really thinking about getting a press and supplys to start reloading. Every time I look on the fourms and try to do some research of what to get and how to reload I come away more confused than before.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#9]
So, a couple of things...
1 - The NAR SIRK Gen1 or Gen2 IFAKs are available on EBAY (or elsewhere) for a reasonable price.
They include a lot of items that would be needed in general, and especially in a stop the bleed scenario.  you would definitly want training on these kits. Check them out.
2 - I believe I have the BAOFENG channel files for most of channels and repeaters in the CO and Moab UT areas.  I'll look and see what I have available. And yes, I have a BAOFENG, the programming cable, and a HAM tech license...
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 11:37:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PvtJoeBauers] [#10]
OST from the Springs area.

Finally getting my hip replaced in December and will be looking forward to outings.

Med training is high on my priority list. If the date/time fits my schedule I’ll be there.

I just signed up for my first USPSA shoot to train/shoot better. Anybody in the area wanting to put some shoots together, I’m in. My first organized shoot ever, a bowling pin shoot, was this week. What a great time. I picked up pins to practice or hold shoots of my own.

I don’t have the property and planned on shooting at a spot I found on Pike but if you have the land and would like to host I’ll start getting the stands built some time after my surgery.

ETA I have a great contact for HAM. He’s a world class coms guy, been on expeditions all over the world that would be more than happy to get us what we need. I’ve never really been interested myself but have so much at my disposal.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 11:45:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 11:53:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By PainKillaX:
Anybody in to lockpicking? I've always wanted to try. Maybe I'll have to learn and then I'll have something to share.
View Quote
Yeah, I've done some at work. I have a small sample of introductory stuff like see thru locks and I've taught an intro class to it before. There's several good YouTube channels. Lock picking lawyer. Deviant ollem. Are two good ones to start with.

I've got a fairly refined class on water treatment, I haven't done it in a few years. Takes about 2 hours plus q&a and some hands on includes finding water, filtration and other forms of treatment.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 2:26:19 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
Yeah that was eye opening.

If someone really needs help here in CO, send the call and I'll do everything I can to help.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Lothbrok:
I'm in Broomfield, and I spend every weekend outdoors. Happy to get out with other folks.

I'm mainly into technical mountaineering and climbing (mainly ice and rock), but training hikes are always fun. Also down to get out and shoot stuff.

Also down to teach anyone how to climb. Lots of crossover applications for tactical stuff, too.
View Quote
My kids go to school in Broomfield.

I'm too lazy to try ice climbing but both my kids are in the school climbing club - mostly do gym climbing but we've been up to North Table Top and Clear Creek Canyon to climb.

I do need to get out more and get some altitude, though it's snowshoe or skins weather now in the mountains. My son usually goes with me, but he effed up his knee and can't do much for a few months.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#15]
@Wulf202

Just checking to see if you got my IM.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Replied
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By pestilence12:
Getting a date for the med meeting. Once that's confirmed, I'll make a separate thread for that meeting.

So far I have:

Sheddy
Bitmap
Wulf202
SecurityForcesmember
Kiltakaze
PainKillaX
blownfour
BEAST556 + 1
BootScootin
dedreckon
Riley1980
flynbenny
TheOx05
denverdan
Sixfunner45
stoner01
mjb

That's a pretty good crowd!

I have training TQ's we can play with.

I'd also like to do a radio meeting. I do not have a Beofang or whatever they're called, but I'd be interested in learning.

Once the weather starts to shape up (and the holidays pass) we can get some hiking/shooting going.
View Quote
I have 3 BaoFeng UV82’s I could bring if needed. I don’t have a license, just use them to listen to NOAA during storms.

Anyone in COS interested in doing a hike this upcoming weekend? As the holidays approach I’m sure we will all be pressed for time.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Wulf202:
Replied
View Quote
@Wulf202

I didn't get anything.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SecurityForcesmember:
I have 3 BaoFeng UV82’s I could bring if needed. I don’t have a license, just use them to listen to NOAA during storms.

Anyone in COS interested in doing a hike this upcoming weekend? As the holidays approach I’m sure we will all be pressed for time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Getting a date for the med meeting. Once that's confirmed, I'll make a separate thread for that meeting.

So far I have:

Sheddy
Bitmap
Wulf202
SecurityForcesmember
Kiltakaze
PainKillaX
blownfour
BEAST556 + 1
BootScootin
dedreckon
Riley1980
flynbenny
TheOx05
denverdan
Sixfunner45
stoner01
mjb

That's a pretty good crowd!

I have training TQ's we can play with.

I'd also like to do a radio meeting. I do not have a Beofang or whatever they're called, but I'd be interested in learning.

Once the weather starts to shape up (and the holidays pass) we can get some hiking/shooting going.

I am probably out for this weekend, still trying to pass my university class. I have all the windows open upstairs right now, nice 65 degrees or so outside I hate being stuck inside but that's where the big set of monitors is, just be another couple weeks and I'm done.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
I have training this weekend, so I wont be able to make it. My weekends are pretty packed this month, but in January and on it opens up a little bit
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#21]

I have training this weekend, so I wont be able to make it. My weekends are pretty packed this month, but in January and on it opens up a little bit
View Quote
No worries. This is a tough time of year.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:23:04 AM EDT
[#22]
So we officially have a location and date for medical training.

Lincoln Park Meeting Room in Lincoln Park Library - Greeley

1/18/2020 - 11:30 AM to 4:30 PM

I will @ people on the list, and if you want to join, reply "I'm in" so I can count you.

Also:

There is no charge. This is a free meet up.

If you want to pay, I am offering to set people up with a basic trauma kit (tourniquet [real cat tourniquet, which I've used, not some silly shoestring or latex thing], Israeli bandage, e blanket, compressed gauze, and a graphite pencil) for $30. I make no money on this. It's a basic blowout kit to get you started.

If you want this setup, let me know asap so I can get them ordered. This is by your word, which means if you want one, I'll order it out of my pocket and you pay for it at the meeting. Please dont ask for one if you wont have the money at the meeting.

We will cover:
Emergency medical basics (ABC's, scenarios)
Stop the bleed fundamentals
I might be able to snag a CPR dummy to play with.
We'll practice tourniquet application.

And any topic brought up in discussion.

Im open to suggestions.

Looking forward to a good group!

RSVP ASAP!
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll do my best to be there. Don't have next year's on call yet but I'm down. Put me down for an IFAK.
Question. Can we bring wives/ SO. Wife is interested and wants to get more involved
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 3:15:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#24]
Originally Posted By stoner01:
I'll do my best to be there. Don't have next year's on call yet but I'm down. Put me down for an IFAK.
Question. Can we bring wives/ SO. Wife is interested and wants to get more involved
View Quote
@stoner01

Awesome! Yes, anyone is invited!

To be clear, it's just ingredients. You'll have to get a pouch to put them in. I'll bring a bunch of pouches as examples for ideas on a kit. Everyone has different needs, so I'll let people get their own bag to put the kit in.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 12:13:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TT4life] [#25]
I'm in.  I love in the Springs area but willing to travel.

Will make the 1/18 meet up a priority.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 12:16:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Like 10 minutes from me, as long as nothing unexpected comes up, you bet I'll be there.

I'll take a kit too please
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 1:51:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ruin] [#28]
I’m pending a shift change after the New Year so I don’t have a schedule for 2020 yet. Once I find out I’ll post if I can attend.

Would you guys be interested in a CO Battle Buddies Group Chat?

Our brothers in VA recently developed one. It’s a PITA to hot link from a phone but the web address I listed is what they’re up to.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Northern-Shenandoah-Valley-battle-buddies-/24-638501/
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Interesting.  I'm not huge on group chats, but it might be worth looking into.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Group chats can get unwieldy, so we'd have to trial it and see how it worked. Other options could be a Slack or Discord channel.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 5:50:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Group chats can get unwieldy, so we'd have to trial it and see how it worked. Other options could be a Slack or Discord channel.
View Quote
Seems fair enough to me.
I’m unfamiliar with those you mentioned. What are they?
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#32]
A Discord would be nice.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Seems fair enough to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Seems fair enough to me.
Slack and Discord are third-party chat programs. Slack is mainly text-based (think old school IRC-like) while Discord offers voice and text chat. What they allow is a bit of decentralization - eg it's not tied to your phone number like a group chat - and an alternative flow rather than text messages. So rather than getting spammed with text notifications, you can simply explore Slack or Discord at your leisure.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 7:18:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ruin] [#34]

Slack and Discord are third-party chat programs. Slack is mainly text-based (think old school IRC-like) while Discord offers voice and text chat. What they allow is a bit of decentralization - eg it's not tied to your phone number like a group chat - and an alternative flow rather than text messages. So rather than getting spammed with text notifications, you can simply explore Slack or Discord at your leisure.
View Quote
Cool.

Here’s the CO Battle Buddies Discord link. I’m Tom (SF Member). If you guys get on, drop a text. Having not used it before I’ll be learning as I go.

https://discord.gg/kgshyxQ
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#35]
In as Stoner
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm interested. Im in Loveland and some interaction with like minded people would be great.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By rwk3:
I'm interested. Im in Loveland and some interaction with like minded people would be great.
View Quote
What part of town?
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 1:24:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Joined discord with my same username
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#39]
SW, between Lon Hagler and Boedecker.  You?
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By rwk3:
SW, between Lon Hagler and Boedecker.  You?
View Quote
Downtown
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 10:07:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm interested - located north of Colorado Springs in Monument. It's always good to use and test out gear. I'd be up for a 'camp out' weekend too once the weather warms up.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#42]
I’m on call that weekend but I’ll see if someone can watch it for me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 11:21:14 PM EDT
[#43]
I’m in for the med class / meetup.

10 years as a combat medic, 5 years ALS ambulance experience in the metro if you want an assistant instructor for any parts of your training. I’ll dig through and see what bleeding control training supplies I still have laying around.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Tactical_Bacon:
I’m in for the med class / meetup.

10 years as a combat medic, 5 years ALS ambulance experience in the metro if you want an assistant instructor for any parts of your training. I’ll dig through and see what bleeding control training supplies I still have laying around.
View Quote
@Tactical_Bacon

You probably absolutely know more than me. You should run it

Also I just got a new job that starts on the 10th. I need to see if training for it continues to the 11th or if they break for the weekend. I'll know more today.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#45]

@Tactical_Bacon

You probably absolutely know more than me. You should run it

Also I just got a new job that starts on the 10th. I need to see if training for it continues to the 11th or if they break for the weekend. I'll know more today.
View Quote
I included the word “assistant” for a reason, I’m more than happy to pitch in and help but it’s not my show. Plus, the need and demand seem to be for stop the bleed / trauma 101 type training which you seem eminently qualified to teach, I was just offering to help with hands on skills coaching, maybe talk to legal aspects if you want.

Let me know what the new job holds and we’ll go from there.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 4:06:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#46]
Originally Posted By Tactical_Bacon:

I included the word “assistant” for a reason, I’m more than happy to pitch in and help but it’s not my show. Plus, the need and demand seem to be for stop the bleed / trauma 101 type training which you seem eminently qualified to teach, I was just offering to help with hands on skills coaching, maybe talk to legal aspects if you want.

Let me know what the new job holds and we’ll go from there.
View Quote
@Tactical_Bacon

I just got my schedule. Class is a go, nothing happening that weekend.

Absolutely man, all the help I can get, the better

We're going to focus on the basics of life saving. Nothing more.

If you have any training aids, that would help a lot.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#47]
@Sheddy
@Bitmap
@Wulf202
@SecurityForcesmember
@Kiltakaze

Refer to my post above, confirming the medical meet up in January.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#48]
@PainKillaX
@blownfour
@BEAST556 + 1
@BootScootin
@dedreckon

Refer to my post above concerning the medical meet up in January
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#49]
@Riley1980
@flynbenny
@TheOx05
@denverdan
@Sixfunner45

Refer to my post above for a medical meet up in January
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#50]
@stoner01
@mjb

Refer to my post above for a medical meet up in January
Page / 4
CO/NoCo Battle Buddies (Page 2 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top