User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2022 11:41:01 AM EDT
Debating on a trust vs individual for a 4.5 inch AR 9mm SBR

Anyone know if Dallas Baldwin FCSO will sign off on a SBR
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m not familiar with doing things as an individual. Does the CLEO even have a say yes/no? I thought it was simply a notification now.

Read me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You don't have to get the CLEO signoff anymore. Just need to send them a copy for notification at the same time you mail off the rest to BATFE.

FWIW all mine are submitted as individual as the trust route has never been a benefit worth the cost to me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Correct, sign off no longer required, just a notification process now.

Is a registered letter best to guarantee receipt ?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't have to get the CLEO signoff anymore. Just need to send them a copy for notification at the same time you mail off the rest to BATFE.

FWIW all mine are submitted as individual as the trust route has never been a benefit worth the cost to me.
View Quote

Silencer Shop’s Single Shot Trust for the win.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most of my NFA toys are form1s
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is no requirement for proof that you sent it, any burden of proof for an illegal activity would fall to them.

FWIW - you can send to the state level CLEOs for a little more anonymity, but I just walk mine into my local PD and hand them off.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I know that Silencer Shop sends the notifications to Attorney General Dave Yost for OH residents.  The applications that they do on behalf of their customers get approved.  I would just send it to his office.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Silencer Shop doesn’t do form 1s.

I also have access various attorneys at work via MetLife attorney plans. They do have trust set ups via a free service.  
Is there a difference between a NFA trust and any old trust I would set up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I believe it's just a standard revocable living will, but an attorney with nfa specific experience would be a plus.

For instance a standard lawyer might not know to name the trust something reasonable in length where it becomes a pain when dealing with engraving that name on future form1 firearms.

There may be other details with a NFA specific trust they might not be as well versed in.

Again, I'm not sure on the specifics here as all mine are done as an individual, but I know there have been issues with some trusts either needing replaced or modified when the ATF changes their rules.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Silencer Shop's Single Shot Trust for the win.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Silencer Shop's Single Shot Trust for the win.
QFT, a long time ago when you needed CLEO sign-off the New Albany Chief said I was the first one he ever did for a suppressor, did SBRs before.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mail or hand deliver is cool as long as you actually do it. Most look and file in File 13.YMMV.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top