Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 3/6/2023 11:52:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rodical]
Is there enough interest for a tacked thread with info that California users could find  better info for CCW???

ARFCOM has a Handgun forum, that covers CCW issues, but does not really cover California, and the process, information, local to you...  I think a lot of gun enthusiast would venture to get a CCW after hearing how the process is much easier now for Californians... Wouldn't you like to know more info???

Hit the Poll, what do you think???
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 5:32:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rodical] [#1]
Official carrier today...

8 hour class, Sherriffs department for Picture and finger printing, 7 business days to notification of approval... only reason it took so long, is I scheduled 2 1/2 weeks after qualifying to do same time my daughter...

I'm in El Dorado county...

I know this forum doesn't get a lot of traffic, but please hit the Poll...
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Id say go for it, but start later this year. Gonna be a lot of changes coming.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:31:31 AM EDT
[#3]
CCW issuance is county or city specific process.  There is no uniform process, just similarities, from each Issuing Authority.

There's an application, fee,  livescan background check that checks state, federal and also your CA handguns registered.  There can be interviews, psychological assessments, reference interviews and then finally classes and live fire testing.   Each stage is all county/city specific so you have to check the locale where you have your residence.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I just renewed in Sac County, I had to add a comment about "good moral character" in replace of the good cause of old. I stated I'm a family man and a good citizen, it was approved.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:21:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shasta_Doug:
CCW issuance is county or city specific process.  There is no uniform process, just similarities, from each Issuing Authority.

There's an application, fee,  livescan background check that checks state, federal and also your CA handguns registered.  There can be interviews, psychological assessments, reference interviews and then finally classes and live fire testing.   Each stage is all county/city specific so you have to check the locale where you have your residence.
View Quote

Not all IAs require the handguns to be registered.  It's a silly requirement by an IA, really, since it's not illegal to have an unregistered handgun and the act of adding it to the permit automatically registers it.  All f the IAs that I've heard about not requiring it were in more rural, conservative areas.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By rodical:
Official carrier today...

8 hour class, Sherriffs department for Picture and finger printing, 7 business days to notification of approval... only reason it took so long, is I scheduled 2 1/2 weeks after qualifying to do same time my daughter...

I'm in El Dorado county...

I know this forum doesn't get a lot of traffic, but please hit the Poll...
View Quote

Congrats!  I submitted my application to the San Diego County Sheriff's Department on June 26, 2022.  My FTF interview with the department will be on this coming Monday, April 3.  Kind of ridiculous that it's taking this long - A right delayed and all that.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:41:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: California_Kid] [#7]
I just got home from my face-to-face session with the San Diego County Sheriff's Department, more than 9 months after I submitted my paid CCW permit application.  It went mostly smoothly.  I arrived about 25 minutes early, signed in, and was called to be photographed within 5 minutes.

In another five minutes I was called into another area to be fingerprinted.  The man operating the machine was new on the job, literally his first day, and he had some trouble getting generally acceptable images.  That process took about 10 minutes (and should have been more like 2.)

In another five minutes I was called back for a desk meeting.  The examiner had me verify all of the information on my application.  The only thing that changed was that I've lost about 15 pounds since last June when I did the application, so she entered that correction.  That's all good except now I am between notches on my belt, so my pants are always either too tight or falling down.

The examiner did ask whether the three guns I put on my application were registered to me.  (They are, all bought new in California from 01 FFLs.)  She said I can add more when my approval is completed, by getting checked off on them during the 8-hour class, and suggested that I sign up for the class ASAP.

I walked out the door just 30 minutes after I had arrived.

Note that (at least for the SDCSD admin office on Ridgehaven Court in Kearny Mesa) there is courthouse-type security at the entrance, manned by a big armed uniformed deputy with body armor.  I had wisely left my pocket knife in my car, and carried only the key fob and my phone.  Courthouse and police station guards tend to get upset when they see the handcuff key that I normally carry.

So, I have entered a 90-day (WTF!) background check period, and it's guaranteed to take the full 90 days, or longer if the DoJ or FBI aren't happy with my fingerprints.  If that happens, I'll have to go back for one (and only one) more try.  As one employee remarked "If the results of a re-take are similar, it just means that's what your fingers look like so we have to accept it."

Generally a painless process but the extended wait times are unconscionable.

ETA I was one of about a dozen people there for CCW permit meetings.  Roughly 7 men and 5 women.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By California_Kid:
I just got home from my face-to-face session with the San Diego County Sheriff's Department, more than 9 months after I submitted my paid CCW permit application.  It went mostly smoothly.  I arrived about 25 minutes early, signed in, and was called to be photographed within 5 minutes.

In another five minutes I was called into another area to be fingerprinted.  The man operating the machine was new on the job, literally his first day, and he had some trouble getting generally acceptable images.  That process took about 10 minutes (and should have been more like 2.)

In another five minutes I was called back for a desk meeting.  The examiner had me verify all of the information on my application.  The only thing that changed was that I've lost about 15 pounds since last June when I did the application, so she entered that correction.  That's all good except now I am between notches on my belt, so my pants are always either too tight or falling down.

The examiner did ask whether the three guns I put on my application were registered to me.  (They are, all bought new in California from 01 FFLs.)  She said I can add more when my approval is completed, by getting checked off on them during the 8-hour class, and suggested that I sign up for the class ASAP.

I walked out the door just 30 minutes after I had arrived.

Note that (at least for the SDCSD admin office on Ridgehaven Court in Kearny Mesa) there is courthouse-type security at the entrance, manned by a big armed uniformed deputy with body armor.  I had wisely left my pocket knife in my car, and carried only the key fob and my phone.  Courthouse and police station guards tend to get upset when they see the handcuff key that I normally carry.

So, I have entered a 90-day (WTF!) background check period, and it's guaranteed to take the full 90 days, or longer if the DoJ or FBI aren't happy with my fingerprints.  If that happens, I'll have to go back for one (and only one) more try.  As one employee remarked "If the results of a re-take are similar, it just means that's what your fingers look like so we have to accept it."

Generally a painless process but the extended wait times are unconscionable.

ETA I was one of about a dozen people there for CCW permit meetings.  Roughly 7 men and 5 women.
View Quote

Nice... I was told 3 max hand guns... yah, finger printing was longest part... Congrats!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I've told family, friends to go now to get their CCW... Like me, lazy to go through process... I encourage everyone to get up and go through the process...
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By NorCalRT:
Id say go for it, but start later this year. Gonna be a lot of changes coming.
View Quote

I just attended my CCW course today and will be filling out the app later today. I totally forgot about the pending changes. Damn.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By urbankaos04:

I just attended my CCW course today and will be filling out the app later today. I totally forgot about the pending changes. Damn.
View Quote

I mean my goal would be to get it done before the changes happen, but closer to that point as possible. That way you can ride out the changes as long as possible and hopefully we get injunctions before then.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:24:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Just got my CCW today.

Link Posted: 6/14/2023 7:00:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: California_Kid] [#13]
Originally Posted By urbankaos04:
Just got my CCW today.

View Quote

Congrats!

I had my classroom instruction today.  Pretty basic stuff mostly.  I have range time scheduled for Saturday.  Supposedly I'll have to fire only 15 rounds per gun (of which I am using three).

It's been nearly a year since I submitted my application.  Ridiculously long delay.  My "90-day" background check started 4/3, and I don't know whether the kerfuffle with one serial number will cause that to be extended.

ETA 6/17 I just passed the shooting test.  All that remains is to upload a document to the sheriff's department.

ETA 6/20 Sheriff's office confirmed that they received the document, but reminded me that I am still in the 90-day "background check" period.  I've heard of people getting Top Secret security clearances in less time than that.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:20:57 AM EDT
[#14]
That’s quite the wait. After I did my prints I got my CCW and they checked my references, I got my CCW pretty quick. Everyone was surprised at how quickly mine was processed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 8:23:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rodical] [#15]
Encouraging everyone to get your CCW...

El Dorado county has gone to Card like dmv licenses now, no more paper type...
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By rodical:
Encouraging everyone to get your CCW...

El Dorado county has gone to Card like dmv licenses now, no more paper type...
View Quote

Tuolumne county is the same way.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I can't get started in San Benradino.  they start with filling out the state form and the state system is down.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top