[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, we're a river town. Things flood. Most of the time not too bad, but if they tell you a house is on a flood plain, they really mean it. This isn't some "it might flood every 15 years" kind of thing. Yeah we have seen a lot of water in our backyard and durning the last storm we noticed our drainage creek was full but never went above the normal heights from what we can tell.

In the 1970s, heavy Spring rains (and associated flooding) was common.  Then we had a decades long period that many people referred to as "dry" or "a drought" (the cave spring that fed the creek along the edge of my property eventually dried up).  During that "dry" period, there was a lot of new construction, with entire subdivisions being built in areas that "those crazy old loons" were claiming were flood plains, but the people building them knew better, and the building permit offices were looking at all the tax revenue that was being created.

Then the May 2010 flood happened, and some people kept going on about it being unprecedented and another sign of the effects of global warming.  Since I was living within walking distance of the house I lived in in the 1970s, I was scratching my head and wondering where they were getting this nonsense from, as the same river was covering the same road it covered in the Springs of the 1970s.  Sure, it was a little higher, but not enough to justify all the nonsense they were spewing, and the likely cause of the increased flood level was the increased runoff due to all the natural areas that had been paved over since the 1970s (Nashville government even admitted that was a contributing factor, then imposed their new rain tax as a solution).

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top