Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2021 3:36:09 AM EDT
Well, I posted this over on Calguns and promptly got three "CA sucks! Your best bet is to move", one guy copy-pasting ten pages of statutes to flex on the others, another guy then getting into a fight with him, and maybe two lines of actual useful advice :). So figured I'd come back to my beloved Arfcom with this one...

"Ok, so! For years a friend of mine has had legal possession of my babies while I lived in a very 2A-unfriendly part of the country. I know, moving to CA isn't exactly an improvement in this regard, but it will afford me most of what I need/want for shooting.

I've thought and strategized quite a bit on all this, and I think I have a pretty good read on what I can and cannot do and what the best path forward is. What are your thoughts?

The collection...

Bushmaster Varminter AR-15 (x2)
======================
Plan: As far as I understand the lowers are just a flat out no-go. So with these, I plan to just have my friend ship me the two uppers and purchase new lowers. I plan to use bullet buttons as fast mag swapping isn't an issue for me- these are for high power, precision shooting, etc. I have to look into what shipping uppers entails, but I imagine it's all much simpler than the actual firearms. There are with them several pre-ban 20 and 30 round mags and as far as I can tell those cannot be shipped/sold/transferred to me.

M1A
======================
This one should be easy, I think. I'll be having my friend install the device that only permits loading from the action. I think I can only have him ship me 10 round mags even with that modification, right? It has an actual flash hider but since it will be action-loaded, as I understand not an issue.

700P
======================
No problems I foresee here. Stock is, well, stock except for a Badger Ordnance detachable mag floorplate but those mags are 10 rounders. To be honest I just want to sell the action and barrel anyway but that's neither here nor there. But yeah, I think this one is easy-peasy.

Mossberg 930 Waterfowl (x2)
======================
These really don't seem to be an issue to me- auto loaders with hunting stocks. One does have an extended mag tube (either 10 or 13 round, I don't recall off the top of my head) but I don't think that should be an issue (?)

Auto Ordnance 1911A1, Parkerized
======================
I need to check the exact model I have, but I know one is permitted per the list. Assuming it's that one, I think I'm fine. If it's not, I'm not (?) Mags are standard 8-rounders.

Walther P-22
======================
This one gets a little interesting. On the one hand, I know the originals (what I have) were banned because of the barrel threading, and I know Walther explicitly produce(s/d) a CA-legal variant in response. But I also know that they allowed owners to send in the originals for "Californication". I know it's a cheap little pistol and you might advise I just get a new one, but you know, I'm attached to my babies :). I'd really like to bring this one in. Do you happen to know if Walther will still allow me to send mine in for evil-stripping? Mags are standard 10-rounders.

So that about covers it. Have I missed anything? Any tips/advice/etc. for me?

Thanks so much, all!!!"
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have rime to read it all and respond.

You have several errors in what I did read, so go slowly.  

Find an FFL to work with.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#2]
At least with the M1A, I think you would be better off changing out the flash hider for SA's comp....totally Calif.
compliant. Leave the mag release as-is and just use 10 round mags as designed. That's what most do here.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well, I posted this over on Calguns and promptly got three "CA sucks! Your best bet is to move", one guy copy-pasting ten pages of statutes to flex on the others, another guy then getting into a fight with him, and maybe two lines of actual useful advice :). So figured I'd come back to my beloved Arfcom with this one...

"Ok, so! For years a friend of mine has had legal possession of my babies while I lived in a very 2A-unfriendly part of the country. I know, moving to CA isn't exactly an improvement in this regard, but it will afford me most of what I need/want for shooting.

I've thought and strategized quite a bit on all this, and I think I have a pretty good read on what I can and cannot do and what the best path forward is. What are your thoughts?

The collection...

Bushmaster Varminter AR-15 (x2)
======================
Plan: As far as I understand the lowers are just a flat out no-go. So with these, I plan to just have my friend ship me the two uppers and purchase new lowers. I plan to use bullet buttons as fast mag swapping isn't an issue for me- these are for high power, precision shooting, etc. I have to look into what shipping uppers entails, but I imagine it's all much simpler than the actual firearms. There are with them several pre-ban 20 and 30 round mags and as far as I can tell those cannot be shipped/sold/transferred to me.

M1A
======================
This one should be easy, I think. I'll be having my friend install the device that only permits loading from the action. I think I can only have him ship me 10 round mags even with that modification, right? It has an actual flash hider but since it will be action-loaded, as I understand not an issue.

700P
======================
No problems I foresee here. Stock is, well, stock except for a Badger Ordnance detachable mag floorplate but those mags are 10 rounders. To be honest I just want to sell the action and barrel anyway but that's neither here nor there. But yeah, I think this one is easy-peasy.

Mossberg 930 Waterfowl (x2)
======================
These really don't seem to be an issue to me- auto loaders with hunting stocks. One does have an extended mag tube (either 10 or 13 round, I don't recall off the top of my head) but I don't think that should be an issue (?)

Auto Ordnance 1911A1, Parkerized
======================
I need to check the exact model I have, but I know one is permitted per the list. Assuming it's that one, I think I'm fine. If it's not, I'm not (?) Mags are standard 8-rounders.

Walther P-22
======================
This one gets a little interesting. On the one hand, I know the originals (what I have) were banned because of the barrel threading, and I know Walther explicitly produce(s/d) a CA-legal variant in response. But I also know that they allowed owners to send in the originals for "Californication". I know it's a cheap little pistol and you might advise I just get a new one, but you know, I'm attached to my babies :). I'd really like to bring this one in. Do you happen to know if Walther will still allow me to send mine in for evil-stripping? Mags are standard 10-rounders.

So that about covers it. Have I missed anything? Any tips/advice/etc. for me?

Thanks so much, all!!!"
View Quote

You can't import anything that would be an assault weapon under California rules.  Info can be found in the stickies.  Ca. rules aren't the same as the other states AW definitions, so what may be OK in NY may not be in Ca., etc.

You can't import ammunition feeding devices over 10 rounds in capacity.  Mostly that means magazines.

Bushmasters?  Your options are go featureless or fixed magazine.  "Bullet buttons" were allowed to kept if the firearm (assuming that was pretty much only "rifles") was registered.  That window is closed.  No new bullet button rifles may be imported/registered.  Part of the definition of an "assault weapon" early on were certain specific models were listed by name.  TBH, I'm not sure exactly how that works because it seems I've seen some of the names still being used.  So, if your rifle (even as a stripped receiver, etc.) was/is one of those specific named items, it can't be imported in any form.  I don't see Bushmaster Varmint on the list, perhaps a member more familiar with the exactitudes of that part of the list will comment?  "Featureless" and fixed magazine configurations are discussed in the stickies.

M1A?  Assuming the typical standard type stock (there are some target or tactical stock variations that seem to be a problem for some people so look more closely if it's one of those sorts of stocks) otherwise just replace the flash hider with a muzzle break.  Magazine capacity rules apply.  Scouts and Socoms come with a brake, not a flash hider.

Mossbergs?  don't see an issue. if 10 round tube.  Don't think they might be 13.  !3 would be a surprise to me but may fit the AW definition.  Look again at capacity.  Believe it's counted with 2/3/4" or 3" shells, not the shorties.

Pistols?  The "approved list" doesn't apply to personal imports.  The assault weapons definitions do.  So for most pistols, that's going to mean a threaded barrel is not allowed.  Magazine capacity rules do apply.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting responses. I have a few notes and questions:

1. Bushmaster is not really an issue, nor is whatever mechanism I go with on the lower because, as you’ll see above, I’m not even going to transfer the lowers since the “Bushmaster XM-15” is banned by name (and that is/was their name for virtually all their ARs). I will instead just have the uppers shipped to me and figure out the lower here in CA.

2. Re: the M1A, as funny as it might sound, I really really appreciate the aesthetics of the flash hider and want to keep it. I also don’t want to have to recalibrate the front sight. And for its intended use, I’m totally fine with top loading only. So hence my strategy on that.

3. Re: pistols, I’m still unclear on this one after all the research I’ve done. What exactly is the roster for? My intent is to have my friend transfer my guns back to me from out of state. As I don’t know exactly what the roster is for (new purchases only from mfrs?) I’m not sure what applies.

Thanks all!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#5]
The roster applies to handguns - "no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale" until it's passed a range of tests and other requirements.  There are, however, several exceptions.  A new resident may personally import firearms which aren't otherwise illegal.  So an off roster handgun that isn't an assault weapon can be imported personally, privately..  And there are requirements to notify the state of the firearms personally imported.  An LEO who purchased or somehow legally acquired an of roster handgun or someone receiving one through an intra-familial transfer, or that personal importer, may perform a private party transfer.  The FFL facilitates a PPT but PPTs are specifically excepted from the roster requirements.

So you can bring your own.  I'd expect there are ways to ship yourself or have someone ship your item to you, if you can't actually move it yourself.  If "your friend" owns your handguns, he can't transfer them to you from out of state.  If you own them, they are yours, not a transfer to you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 3:46:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok, as I thought. So I’ll have to check if my P-22 with either barrel changed or Walter-serviced would be allowed (it is indeed being transferred from my friend.)
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]
You can personally import your own firearms, assuming they don't otherwise meet some prohibited category.  The roster does not apply to your personal imports.    

Transfer has meaning under the federal laws.  If a firearm is transferred to a resident of another state (your friend owns it in state  "not California") and transfers it to you, a resident of California, it must go through an FFL in the recipients state.  That FFL must ensure that the transfer meets federal and state requirements.  In California, if that firearm is not legal to import, the FFL can not proceed with the transfer.  In the case of a handgun, an FFL transfer, the handgun must be on the roster.  If on the roster, it can not have been made an assault weapon, like having a threaded replacement barrel added.

If it's yours, he' snot transferring it to you.  You would still have to follow the various laws on shipping firearms.

You should want to resolve any handgun ownership issues before becoming a resident of California because because you can import any handgun regardless of roster status (if not otherwise illegal, like an "assault weapon,"0 but after you become a resident the roster restrictions apply unless you meet the LEO exceptions, are receiving it as an intra-familial transfer, or, a private party transfer from a resident of California.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top