Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2021 11:47:13 AM EDT
AB-876 bill text

"This bill would require all handguns, with the exception of revolvers, as defined, purchased on or after July 1, 2023, that are owned, used, possessed, or otherwise carried by state, county, city, or other law enforcement officers while on duty to be microstamped within 90 days of purchase or acquisition. The bill would also require all handguns used by any state, county, city, or other law enforcement officer while on duty to be entered into AFS via CLETS within 90 days of acquisition. By requiring local law enforcement to comply with these provisions, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program."
View Quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A7oGgn5R58s&t=768s

Normally I don't support any bills CA proposes. They're either scams or outright attacks on good people. I just found the shining exemption to that rule!

Having local officers complain and use the same verbage as the average ca gun owner when we complain about immoral gun laws would be like a breath of fresh air. It would provide legitimacy to the argument that there are leo's that support the 2nd. It doesn't have that currently as they are exempt from some gun control laws. I believe real change can come about if police unions are unable to hash out exemptions with law makers and are forced to fight for the public at large. But of course that's just a personal opinion.

As usual I'd like a second opinion. Are there any bad sides to this? Could lawmakers change the verbage again at the last minute to screw everyone over? What unintended consequences am I missing here. I'm sure someone with greater insight will comment.

ETA: Quote from bill to provide context. Also added video where specific bill is spoken about..... Just so happens to be an arfcom video....
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only way it will affect the police will be any firearms that they buy for their personal use. Their duty weapon will probably be exempt because we don't want someone finding out personal info on cops.
View Quote

I'm fine with that distinction. In not fine with the law in it's entirety but the bill removing the exemption was what really caught my attention. On top of that it's a rewording of Gun violence restraining orders. Which brings up even more questions.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Pfft!, all it would do is move the bar even higher.  Once they have to do it (paid for by the government), how can you complain when you have to do it?

It legitimizes microstamping.

Somebody's brother-in-law is in the microstamping business and this is how the government mandates their product/service gets used.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pfft!, all it would do is move the bar even higher.  Once they have to do it (paid for by the government), how can you complain when you have to do it?

It legitimizes microstamping.

Somebody's brother-in-law is in the microstamping business.
View Quote

Actually I'm in the tungsten sharpening business.

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 3:07:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I hope this trend continues.  All LE in Ca. should be limited to the safe roster as well, for both on duty and personally own firearms.  Why would any peace keeper need to have an unsafe firearm?

And their patrol rifles shoudl be limited to 10 rounds, and bullet buttons or tools should be mandatory on all patrol rifles as well.  The reason being, the general populace has to have them to stop indiscriminate killing.  Shouldn't our LE be concerned with indiscriminate killing?  Seriously, if you can't get it done in 10 rounds and all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top