Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2019 10:11:56 PM EDT
Im buying a transferable 1942 MP40 from an acquaintance.

It is a private local sale / transfer so I believe we will be doing a Form 4. ( Using my Trust )

But the questions I have for submitting the form, I believe I need to submit one or two face pictures, and two fingerprint cards correct ? I already have the ATF finger print cards, I just need to go to the PD to submit them.

Also, I can e-file this transfer form, correct ?  How long does the ATF take on these nowadays ?
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Im buying a transferable 1942 MP40 from an acquaintance.

It is a private local sale / transfer so I believe we will be doing a Form 4. ( Using my Trust )

But the questions I have for submitting the form, I believe I need to submit one or two face pictures, and two fingerprint cards correct ? I already have the ATF finger print cards, I just need to go to the PD to submit them.

Also, I can e-file this transfer form, correct ?  How long does the ATF take on these nowadays ?
View Quote
Form 4 for a Trust will require 2 passport size pics, 2 fingerprint cards, and a RPQ form for each responsible party and a copy of the Trust.  The CLEO notification copy doesn't require pics, prints or copy of the Trust but does require a RPQ from each responsible party.

Use the latest fillable pdf from the ATF site - https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/form-4-application-tax-paid-transfer-and-registration-firearm-atf-form-53204/download

Latest RPQ - https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/national-firearms-act-nfa-responsible-person-questionnaire-532023/download

In MN, once you have an approved form 4, you will need to send a form to the BCA notifying them of your acquisition of the machine gun - https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Documents/Ownership-Possession-Curio-Relic-Form.pdf

If you have any questions filling out the ATF forms, the NFA section on here has a pretty good walkthrough - https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Work-In-Progress-new-F1-F4-guide-for-41F-submissions/17-465636/
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
No e-file for Form 4. Gonna have to do it the old fashioned way.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Wont sell you his mg42 eh?  Enjoy the toy when you finally get the form back.  The posters above pretty much have you covered.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you have a C&R FFL?
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have a C&R FFL?
View Quote
Trusts can't have an FFL. But it's neither here nor there as an in-state transfer would be the exact same Form 4 whether he has one or not.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Finally got time to go to the Dakota county sheriffs office for the finger prints,
Then to Walgreens for some passport size pictures.

Getting close to being ready to file the form 4
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok my friend received his stamp for the MP40 finally. Now, I can purchase it from him.  ( he bought the MP40 then realized he wanted an STG-43 more and put the MP40 up for sale )

We are going to meet some night this week to file the Form 4 to transfer the MP40 to me.

I will have my 2 fingerprint cards, the 2 passport sized photos, and my NFA Trust info.

I know I can either provide my check card / debit card info, or just provide a check for the $200

Personally, I feel better writing a CHECK, what is the general opinion on that ??
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ok my friend received his stamp for the MP40 finally. Now, I can purchase it from him.  ( he bought the MP40 then realized he wanted an STG-43 more and put the MP40 up for sale )

We are going to meet some night this week to file the Form 4 to transfer the MP40 to me.

I will have my 2 fingerprint cards, the 2 passport sized photos, and my NFA Trust info.

I know I can either provide my check card / debit card info, or just provide a check for the $200

Personally, I feel better writing a CHECK, what is the general opinion on that ??
View Quote
I always write checks for Form 4s but the money gets taken out right away with either payment method.  Just depends on if you care about mailing some anonymous contractor in Portland your CC number.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I've always sent checks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Ive got most of the Form 4 stuff squared away.

I just need to make a copy of my NFA trust to include in the packet.

" The CLEO notification copy doesn't require pics, prints or copy of the Trust but does require a RPQ from each responsible party."

^ This part im not 100% sure of. I have a CLEO copy that the seller of the machine gun has filled out. Do I add my info to that 2 page form, and send it in, or do we EACH need to fill out a form ?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#12]
CLEO copy is filled out identical to the other copies minus the payment info. You don't send prints or pics to the CLEO but the instructions tell you to send the RP info (no pics/prints for them either). https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/national-firearms-act-nfa-responsible-person-questionnaire-532023/download

It's not really a big deal, it doesn't get verified and the CLEO isn't supposed to keep it on file or even respond unless they have knowledge that one of the RPs is prohibited.

Once you get your MG approved don't forget to fill out the BCA notification form and send it in.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you. I know that I have a lot of questions, but Im just nervous about filling everything out properly.

I think I have EVERYTHING all set and ready to go, and a local NFA dealer offered to take a look before I ship it off. The last thing I need to do now is find out my local police chiefs name and mailing address.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thank you. I know that I have a lot of questions, but Im just nervous about filling everything out properly.

I think I have EVERYTHING all set and ready to go, and a local NFA dealer offered to take a look before I ship it off. The last thing I need to do now is find out my local police chiefs name and mailing address.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You can send it to your police chief, co sheriff, the superintendent of the BCA, executive of the state patrol, attorney general (fun one there...), etc.  There is no requirement for them to acknowledge your notification nor are you required to prove you sent it with any type of delivery receipt.

Don't forget Minnesota Statutes 609.67 - Subd. 4. - https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.67#stat.609.67.4
Subd. 4.Report required. (a) A person owning or possessing a machine gun or short-barreled shotgun as authorized by subdivision 3, clause (1), (2), (3), or (4) shall, within ten days after acquiring such ownership or possession, file a written report with the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, showing the person's name and address; the person's official title and position, if any; a description of the machine gun or short-barreled shotgun sufficient to enable identification thereof; the purpose for which it is owned or possessed; and such further information as the bureau may reasonably require.
The BCA form makes it look like they need to approve of your possession, however the law only requires notification not approval.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Documents/Ownership-Possession-Curio-Relic-Form.pdf
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
B_saan- thank you for all of your thorough answers and help. I highly appreciate it
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#16]
This shit is killing me.

I took it to an NFA dealer I know to have him just look everything over quick.

The seller Im buying it from owns it "personally" but also added his FFL info on the form. The NFA dealer I know said all thats going to do is confuse the ATF as to whether Im buying it from a dealer or a private seller. Also, he had me sign the top of the page with my NFA trust name, and the NFA dealer said no, that should be your birth name signed there.

Long story short, Ive contacted a pretty popular NFA / 2nd amendment attorney that set up my trust, and hopefully I can schedule an appointment with him to make sure everything is correct.

Ive also got to Efile a form 1 / SBR form, so I will have him handle both issues so this gets done right.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:43:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Did you get your paperwork filled out and sent in?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Did you get your paperwork filled out and sent in?
View Quote
Yep, i met with the lawyer Feb 14 and finished up the form 4 and shipped that off. We have a feeling I may get a correction letter for a couple small things. But who knows it may pass just fine. The attorney said that he had one guys form 4 clear in as fast as five weeks ???? Other people have said 5 months but with my luck it’ll take the full year.

Feb 17 we finished up the Efile form 1 for an SBR I’m going to do.  I hear these have been clearing in as fast as 3-4 weeks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Just had an incoming F4 individual to dealer clear in 24 days, my last ones before my move to SD were taking 4-5 months.

Quoted:

Yep, i met with the lawyer Feb 14 and finished up the form 4 and shipped that off. We have a feeling I may get a correction letter for a couple small things. But who knows it may pass just fine. The attorney said that he had one guys form 4 clear in as fast as five weeks ???? Other people have said 5 months but with my luck it’ll take the full year.

Feb 17 we finished up the Efile form 1 for an SBR I’m going to do.  I hear these have been clearing in as fast as 3-4 weeks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:55:53 AM EDT
[#20]
If I could have it sometime before fall that would be awesome !!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top