Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2020 11:44:57 PM EDT
Considering buying a piece of property there and was just wondering what the general consensus is.  I've lived in Chatham, Effingham and currently residing in Bryan county.

What's the good, the bad and, ( hopefully none ) the ugly?

Schools?  Where to renew a GWCL?  Taxes?  Anything else?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you grow up in those other counties?  Are you from “here”?
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Bulloch county .    Well if I remember correctly it's the only county in that part of the state that had " No Dead Animals "  stenciled on the sides of their dumpsters .

And that it is the home of Georgia Southern .   The wildest party school in GA.

Hope that helps .

gd
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you grow up in those other counties?  Are you from “here”?
View Quote
Nope.

Born and raised Washingtonian.  However, just prior to retiring from the Army in 2013, I decided to keep my family here in Georgia with its Pro 2A stance, rather than returning to my home state with its gradually declining 2A rights and over run with damn hippie liberal starbucks swilling democunts.

I'm really just trying to get a basic 'feel' for Bulloch country and see if there's anything really weird or crazy about it.    ( And no... the dumpster thing doesn't bother me.  )
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Bulloch county seems to be a nice area. I live about 45 minutes west of Statesboro. I do a lot of business in the area and eat there a few times per month. My ex wife's nephew is an assistant principle in the school system. He thinks the schools there are decent without any major issues. As for the area Statesboro has plenty of eating joints, activity for kids, small water park ( Splash N The Boro), Club House for all. Recreation baseball, softball, soccer and football.
I like the area and wouldn't hesitate moving there. It's close enough to Savannah, Pooler and Hilton Head for a quick get away.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bulloch county seems to be a nice area. I live about 45 minutes west of Statesboro. I do a lot of business in the area and eat there a few times per month. My ex wife's nephew is an assistant principle in the school system. He thinks the schools there are decent without any major issues. As for the area Statesboro has plenty of eating joints, activity for kids, small water park ( Splash N The Boro), Club House for all. Recreation baseball, softball, soccer and football.
I like the area and wouldn't hesitate moving there. It's close enough to Savannah, Pooler and Hilton Head for a quick get away.
View Quote
Good deal, thank you for that information.

While my wife and I were looking over the property again this weekend, we met one of the neighbors who gave us a run down on the surrounding neighborhood.  Between this, the location and what we've seen for ourselves, we're pretty well decided on trying to snag it up.

We'll see how things work out for us.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry I asked a question and never replied.  My reply would have been very similar to cannonkrazy’s.  Most all of the outlying public schools have a great reputation as well.  Nevils, Brooklet, Stilson, etc.  I’m not sure where you are with God/church, but there are some very solid ones here.  There’s also GSU sports games, the Tormenta soccer team, and like he said, Splash n the Boro.

We really like living here. My children are 10th generation on our farm.  Just stay out of town on GSU move in weekend and make sure you have a stockpile of groceries bc the shelves are empty that first week.

Hope it works out for you!
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#7]
May be in my future as well, my son lives there and my daughter lives in Excelsior, both send their kids to a private school (Bulloch Academy). I went to college there a long time ago and really enjoyed then as well as now. Plenty of hunting / fishing / shooting opportunities, places to eat and things to do. Also as pointed out, Savannah is an hour away and you will pass by Daniel Defense on the way. Enough of a small town, country feel and just enough of a college town feel to find a happy medium. Looking forward to the day I don't have to fight traffic in the ATL, shoot deer in the morning, play with grankids and then go catch redfish and trout in a day.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#8]
My dad's family has been here forever, and I've lived here all my life (33).  GSU continues to grow, and as it does the 'boro is losing its small town feel.  Land prices are 3-4x higher than surrounding counties if that matters to you.  South/Southeast end of the county is growing the most as everyone wants to be in the Brooklet/Nevils/Stilson school triangle plus proximity to Savannah/Pooler.

If you have any specifics ask away.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Southeast Bulloch is really nice.  Short drive to Savannah for work etc..   Great schools and extremely nice people.  We almost bought a farm a few years ago, but the wife was not willing to commute.  We will one day.

My parents retired to Statesboro.  Nice town even though the students can be annoying at times.  You definitely don't want to live next to them.  Commuting to Savannah is easy if you make it to I-95 before 7:05 a.m.  If you are later it will mean an additional 30-45 minutes added to the commute.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 7:26:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Just saw this.  I've lived here since 2001.  The school system is good even Statesboro high when compared to similar size schools.  GSU has a indoor range for firearms and archery.  Most have enough property to shoot on or knows someone who does.  Parks and rec are good being adult, kid, and family friendly.  Shopping is improving with Aldi and Publix coming.  The semi pro soccer team is successful with them getting a new stadium there will be more options and rumored brewery.  The sheriff and Police chief are good guys.  So is the school superintendent.  I don't mind the college students it's the liberal faculty that gets on my nerves.

If you have any specific questions email or pm me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for the info!

My wife and I are struggling with a loan officer who's rather difficult to work with and we're not making much head way to being pre-approved yet.  If we can't get anywhere with this person, then we're already looking toward other options.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top