Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2021 8:01:48 PM EDT
Those that are casting their own bullets, where are you getting your wheel weights? It used to be real easy to just go to a tire shop and ask for their old wheel weights. Now that the EPA is making it more difficult, where are you getting your cheap/free lead?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Pick it up At a range.  
You can Fill a Gatorade bottle in 15 minutes with 45acp bullets on a pistol range.  
If you want lots of lead you can get a couple hundred pounds in an hour with a shovel and mesh screen.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I've tried that. My back doesn't do that very well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:10:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I was given some lead by a coworker. She gave me her dad's old press, a few dies (haven't looked to see what the sizes are), and some lead. She even gave me this little thing that melts the lead and it has a handle you press down on and it pushes the lead out through this nozzle-looking thing. I'm assuming it's for putting the molten lead into the dies to cast the bullets.

It looks very similar to this:

Click To View Spoiler

Except the one she gave me is well-used; but she said it still works. It's also full of lead. So I'd need to plug it in to get it to melt the lead so I can get it out. She also gave me some lead-cast bullets that her dad had done years ago. Again, no clue what caliber they are. There's also a few boxes of cases. I know there is some .38 special and possibly a few 357 magnum cases.

I know nothing about reloading, but I really want to learn.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:23:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Those that are casting their own bullets, where are you getting your wheel weights? It used to be real easy to just go to a tire sh
op and ask for their old wheel weights. Now that the EPA is making it more difficult, where are you getting your cheap/free lead?
View Quote

Where are you located?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Those that are casting their own bullets, where are you getting your wheel weights? It used to be real easy to just go to a tire shop and ask for their old wheel weights. Now that the EPA is making it more difficult, where are you getting your cheap/free lead?
View Quote
How close are you to TN on Old Railroad Bed Road north of Madison?

http://www.magnusbullets.com/

I know he gets the lead WW from Taft Tire Co, but I don't know about other tire companies in the area.  Call him and ask for his advice.  Nothing else, he might sell you raw lead that he uses to make his bullets.

Ardmore has 2-3 tire companies, might try them.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#6]
@chainsman

I'm in the Pelham/Alabaster area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top