Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2020 2:57:51 PM EDT
So I'm building an AR pistol for the wife. It seems like EVERY piece is going to fight with me! So I'm starting this thread for help as it seems I am going to need it for every damn piece...

I posted in the other thread about not having an allen wrench small enough for the set screw on the adjustable gas block I have (its SAE 0.050" btw, not sure if the same for every AGB, but that's what mine is), so I went and got one last night.

So when starting to get the barrel nut on, I go and get my barrel nut wrench piece (cause it is just the end piece, not an entire wrench) and the damn thing wont fit into the little divots for the gas tube...

Here is the tool in question:

Attachment Attached File

Either the extension pieces are too thick or are not spaced properly. The beveled edge of the extension starts to go, but won't go further than the picture. For the handguard I'm using, I have to use this style of barrel nut, so I can't try another one (well I don't have another of this style to try).

Here is the problem:

Attachment Attached File

So I wanted to see if anybody has a workaround? I could try grinding the extensions down, but I'm worried they won't be circular anymore and could still cause issues like slippage, plus it might fit other barrel nuts as is, but if I modify it, it might not. Or if someone has a tool I could borrow real quick to get this on? preferably in the NW valley? I'm willing to travel a bit, but I'd rather buy one than drive all the way to San Tan Valley!

Thanks.

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Where are you located?

nm, saw where in your last paragraph, sorry...
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me guess, you're in Chandler or something? Haha. I'm in Surprise, so somewhere close by would be nice. I guess I could look around at tools to buy since I just got my Trumpbucks, but I don't build many AR's, so not sure if it's worth getting another tool or not.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s because you’re using the wrong wrench, the one you have is for a different type of nut (free floated type).

You need a wrench with these teeth...

Attachment Attached File

Mine has both types of teeth depending on the nut...

Attachment Attached File

I’d let you use mine, but I’m even further way than San Tan.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, that is a milspec barrel nut and needs a standard wrench. I left mine in CO at my mom and dad's house. I have and ALG wrench if/when you need it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It’s because you’re using the wrong wrench, the one you have is for a different type of nut (free floated type).

You need a wrench with these teeth...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19372/9BFB13BB-1FCE-47F4-8C38-190C6967F8F1_jpe-1369007.JPG

Mine has both types of teeth depending on the nut...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19372/64186506-B270-4A0D-A1AA-644DCB8A4E4C_jpe-1369012.JPG

I’d let you use mine, but I’m even further way than San Tan.
View Quote

I thought it might be something like that, that's why I was hesitant to modify it. Glad I didn't, since I was stuck on my wife's I decided to work on my rifle. It had this barrel nut:

Attachment Attached File

And the tool fit no problem:

Attachment Attached File

I'll try to remember that the 2 require different teeth. Thanks for offering. Might start looking for an armorer's wrench tonight.

Quoted:
Yeah, that is a milspec barrel nut and needs a standard wrench. I left mine in CO at my mom and dad's house. I have and ALG wrench if/when you need it.
View Quote

Thanks, I actually do have one of those thankfully, and I just used it!

New alg defense rail I won at cola warrior:

Attachment Attached File

Maybe I'll just turn this into a "dread_scott is dumb and everytime I get stuck on something, I'll ask for a tool or help" thread! Cause I have a feeling that's what this is gonna be...
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#6]
So I started kinda looking up armorer's wrenches and there's a shit ton to choose from. Any advice/stories good or bad on brands/styles to help decide? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#7]
The Magpul is pricy, but people really seem to like it.

For the few you’re going to do, this one is cheap and would fill your needs...

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Yeah, I know I’m a long drive away, but if you ever need to, you’re more than welcome to use my tools.

I have everything you’d ever need, from a vice, blocks, correct roll pin punches, and plenty of band aids.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Don’t know if you have this problem solved yet, but I have a Magpul wrench that I believe will work properly with your barrel nut.

I’m close to the NW Valley using 303.

I have other tools if you need them as well.

We can meet up at your place or mine, get everything completed and head home.

Let me know.

EDIT:  I have an ALG wrench as well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an extra wrench. Drop me an IM and I'll drop one in the mail to you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Noice! That's pretty awesome of you!
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:30:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don’t know if you have this problem solved yet, but I have a Magpul wrench that I believe will work properly with your barrel nut.

Let me know.

View Quote

I'm also in Surprise, and I have a magpul wrench and bev block if you would like to borrow it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 1:08:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Magpul is pricy, but people really seem to like it.

For the few you’re going to do, this one is cheap and would fill your needs...

www.amazon.com/dp/B083QMW865

Yeah, I know I’m a long drive away, but if you ever need to, you’re more than welcome to use my tools.

I have everything you’d ever need, from a vice, blocks, correct roll pin punches, and plenty of band aids.
View Quote

It's showing out of stock, so can't see a price or buy, but I'll keep an eye on it, thanks. Definitely thanks for the offer, but yeah, you're damn far! Haha

Quoted:

Let me know.

View Quote

Thanks, where abouts are you, I see someone else in Surprise chimed in, but just in case? Thank you for the offer either way!

Quoted:
View Quote

As usual, you're too kind and generous for your own good. I will IM you, but to try to figure out a trade or something!
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 1:19:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm also in Surprise, and I have a magpul wrench and bev block if you would like to borrow it.
View Quote

IM sent.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

New alg defense rail I won at cola warrior:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484868/20200415_165113_jpg-1369272.JPG

Maybe I'll just turn this into a "dread_scott is dumb and everytime I get stuck on something, I'll ask for a tool or help" thread! Cause I have a feeling that's what this is gonna be...
View Quote

How did the change of rail feel for your rifle?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#15]
IM Sent
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How did the change of rail feel for your rifle?
View Quote

It feels nice running around the living room, will have to see how it feels when I actually get out and shoot. The quad rail it replaced was all sharp and girthy, so this is definitely gonna be better. I didn't think to weigh my rifle before and after cause I'm dumb, but since this one is a couple of inches longer, im thinking it's not going to be much of a weight difference though. While I was changing it, I did realize my barrel and brake are pretty damn heavy on their own as well. Might start looking for lightweight parts.

Quoted:
IM Sent
View Quote

Received your IM, thanks! I'm gonna be picking up the wrench from Diggs91 today, so I should be covered, but greatly appreciate your generosity.

All of us westside people should do something though, hike, shoot, eat, something. Coronavirus be damned! My house is trashed with 4 people barely leaving the house and I'm the only one that cleans, otherwise I'd invite everybody over for a build party/dinner type thing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Glad you got what you needed.

Post up a pic when completed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Will do! Of course, I'm sure I'll need help or another tool as soon as I tackle the barrel nut though!
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m in chandler with a plethora of AR tools if anyone needs them. I highly recommend the magpul bev block and the wrench. Buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 3:15:31 AM EDT
[#20]
You can always be lazy like me and say screw the wrench and just use a mallet and a punch to get that final 1/4 turn to locked in tight. If you throw some blue locktight on before you put the barrel nut on it should be good for a while.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It feels nice running around the living room, will have to see how it feels when I actually get out and shoot. The quad rail it replaced was all sharp and girthy, so this is definitely gonna be better. I didn't think to weigh my rifle before and after cause I'm dumb, but since this one is a couple of inches longer, im thinking it's not going to be much of a weight difference though. While I was changing it, I did realize my barrel and brake are pretty damn heavy on their own as well. Might start looking for lightweight parts.
View Quote

Weight may not have changed much, but did the rifle's balance and maneuverability change?
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You can always be lazy like me and say screw the wrench and just use a mallet and a punch to get that final 1/4 turn to locked in tight. If you throw some blue locktight on before you put the barrel nut on it should be good for a while.
View Quote

I like your style sir! Haha. Honestly, I could see myself doing that in the past, trying out things the proper way for a change, just to see what all the fuss is about!

Quoted:
Weight may not have changed much, but did the rifle's balance and maneuverability change?
View Quote

It seems so, but like I said, it's just been in the living room. I'm gonna have to get out and try it, as everytime in the comfort of the house everything works, get to a comp and it's the biggest hindrance type of thing. I can guarantee it'll be easier to get into ports since it's so much slimmer though. I just ran around with it again, def nice with the smooth rail, when I have to move my support hand, it doesn't feel like I'm rubbing it against a cheese grater. Which is freaking awesome! Can't wait to try it!
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, don’t do this.  

Blue Loctite won’t be effective, the barrel nut will easily reach a temp that exceeds Blue’s melting point.

You should be putting anti-seize on the barrel nut threads.

The gas tube keeps the barrel nut from moving, do not use a thread locking compound.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm in Surprise and have a few barrel nut wrenches.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah, don’t do this.  

Blue Loctite won’t be effective, the barrel nut will easily reach a temp that exceeds Blue’s melting point.

You should be putting anti-seize on the barrel nut threads.

The gas tube keeps the barrel nut from moving, do not use a thread locking compound.
View Quote

I did use anti seize per videos I watched, no loctite, so good on that portion.

Quoted:
I'm in Surprise and have a few barrel nut wrenches.
View Quote

Thanks for the offer, picked one up from another member to use, but good to see another person in Surprise!
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So I started kinda looking up armorer's wrenches and there's a shit ton to choose from. Any advice/stories good or bad on brands/styles to help decide? Thanks.
View Quote
The milspec type somone posted above isn't the best choice with the three pins.  If you have a really stuck free float type barrel nut, those pins will shear off.  I have two wrenches with the pins sheared off.  Armalite barrel nut.  

The type OP shows with many more pins is probably better for a free float.

Aeroshield Moly 33MS is the proper lube for a barrel nut.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I just realized I haven't updated this. So with Diggs91 wrench I was able to tighten the barrel nut (that magpul wrench was pretty damn nice!). Of course being me, something had to be ghetto. I don't have a vice, so I had to make a makeshift vice out of scrap 2x4's and clamp everything to make sure it didn't move, ugly but effective.

Attachment Attached File

So now I need to go shoot and adjust the gas block on the pistol and I will be able to install the handguard and be done.

While I was playing fisher-price gunsmith, I also went ahead and installed a new geissele trigger I got from cola warrior thanks to syderboy03.

Attachment Attached File

And because I am a moron, I went and spent some money I don't have and got an optic. I've been trying to set aside money the last couple of years to do so and it always gets spent on other stuff, so said 'fuck it' and bought it and will just skimp in certain areas to make it work. It is a Swampfox 1-10x LPVO. Supposed to be good bang for the buck, lets hope!

Attachment Attached File

and the reticle (my cell phone was having problems focusing, it doesn't look blurry at all in person, also this pic is from before I leveled it, it is straight and not all angled like the pic looks):

Attachment Attached File

I also received an armorers wrench from bye_felicia in the mail. Gonna have to buy him a big lunch or dinner for all he's helped me out with! Thanks again man!

Attachment Attached File

So almost done with the pistol and will post that picture once I get out and shoot.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Been being busy as hell lately and barely checking in here. So I finally was able to make it out to test fire and there seems to be an issue with the bolt. Its extracting/ejecting erratically. Spyderboy03 was with me and we tried his BCG and it ran fine (well overgassed, but thats because the adjustable gas block was pretty open) but the used BCG I got from the EE would sometimes extract, but not eject; half extract; eject with a vengeance. Spyderboy03 had some ideas on what it could be, I havent looked into it as I've never had an issue with an AR running. I keep meaning to research it and keep putting it off. Any ideas from people here and maybe a local place near the NW valley for small parts that go in the bolt/BCG? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Extractor spring might need some help.. the standard is an o-ring dropped in.. there are more solutions out there now, but that sounds like what is needed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By freeride21a:
Extractor spring might need some help.. the standard is an o-ring dropped in.. there are more solutions out there now, but that sounds like what is needed.
View Quote

That's exactly what I think it is. Extractor felt weak and it would leave a case halfway in the chamber on occasion.   Maybe KE or Tombstone? If not, https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-extractor-spring-upgrade-kit/
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:22:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By dread_scott:
 Any ideas from people here and maybe a local place near the NW valley for small parts that go in the bolt/BCG? Thanks.
View Quote

Tombstone has an entire isle with that stuff.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:02:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the replies. I'll check out tombstone, i've never been, so it'll be cool to check out.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#33]
FWIW I've used a 5 pin PRI wrench for every build I do that involves a barrel with no fsb in the way.  Not Sure how many wrenches PRI makes though.  Maybe you should contact PRI and ask them what's going on with your wrench.

Paladin
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Finally got a chance to go to Tombstone Tactical...damn it was busy! there was a line out the door for the firearms. There wasn't an 'upgrade' kit like what was posted, but they did have a bolt repair kit that included gas rings, extractor, ejector, springs, etc. Figured more parts wouldn't hurt, especially if I had anymore issues. In the accessories line that I was in, there were only like 4 people ahead of me and it still took 30-45 mins to get out of the store, so that was annoying. They still had lots of parts though. I've been to Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse in the last couple of weeks and neither were busy like Tombstone, not sure if those other places are way too pricey? Or just out of guns? I didn't look at any firearms at any of the stores, so I don't know what their stock looked like.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top